FS: White Sox select prep RHP Jared Kelley with 47th pick, signed

Y2Jimmy0

It wasn't weeks but Shirley wasn't being truthful about that story. They didn't just see that he was off the board and start compiling a new strategy. Kiley McDaniel mocked Kelley at 47 for a reason. I was told that the Sox and Kelley had a pre-draft deal. I didn't find out about it until after he was selected but that's what happened. They knew they were getting Kelley on Wednesday afternoon once the salary demand was met. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cashman said:

The doomed part, yes.

But the other 2, might be issues and that I am a little concerned about.

Wouldn’t be... he’s been used differently in terms of arm stress. He has more projection still with the development of a breaking pitch... and he’s not struggling for max velo like others do at this age.

Three big pluses that mitigate concern.

🙏👍

• 2 weeks later...

The Sox saved $1,195,500 with the signings if their 3rd and 4th round picks so far.  The Kelley slot value is $1,580,200, which would allows them to offer Kelley $2,775,700 if they get no savings from their 5th round pick., and didn't go over their draft allotment at all.  The Sox can add another $388,240 with their 5% overage which is allowed by MLB, meaning they could still offer $3,163,940 to Kelley with no savings from their 5th round pick.

• Like 4

Horn is a good player and was having a good season he isn't going to sign for 25k. He was a RS Jr. so he has eligibility 

Not Cishek indicated awhile back there would be some savings with Crochet. If they can sign Horn for 200k instead of 386k and squeeze 200k out of Crochet, then it still works out more or less.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Glad they got that done, seemed almost certain but ya know until it's on paper you worry a little bit about that plan coming to fruition.

There was nothing to worry about in this case. The Sox met his asking price prior to draft. Has been a done deal. 

I’m curious to see him a year from now, after being on a ML nutrition and strength and conditioning program.

The knock on him was that he wasn’t very well conditioned and had a bit of a now body but let’s see if the Sox can work on it with him. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2020 at 2:22 AM, Joshua Strong said:

I’m curious to see him a year from now, after being on a ML nutrition and strength and conditioning program.

The knock on him was that he wasn’t very well conditioned and had a bit of a now body but let’s see if the Sox can work on it with him. 

I'd personally make that 3 or 4 years. Even in that time period there might not be any visual physical changes. He should be strong but flexible. While strength is important , we don't have to see him bulk up . Increase core strength and conditioning, flexibility. Everything branches from the core. Without essential core strength you may develop bad habits in other strength training . Violent motions such as pitching need a stable core to maintain balance and consistency /repeatability of motions. These exercises and conditioning programs are things that are not temporary. They should be done over a lifetime . They should be as ingrained as showering and brushing/flossing your teeth.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside