What would you have rather seen from this draft?

southsider2k5

What would you have rather seen from this draft?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Sox have run this draft?

• Exactly as they did, grab the stars, and make some lesser filler type picks at the end to save $$$ for Kelley and Crochet
    • Draft Kelley first, pay him slot, and then grab 4 slot level players
    • Draft Crochet and 4 slot level players
    • Find an underslot top pick, and some lesser overslot picks in the 2-5 rounds, aka not Kelley
    • Other, explain in a post

I think this draft worked out amazing for the White Sox and I have absolutely no complaints. Realistically, the White Sox just added two guys that you could argue should've been Top 12 picks. I also like that they're on completely different timetables.

Crochet should be a quick-to-the-majors kind of guy. I would imagine that the organization would like to have him on the big league roster in 2022.

Kelley is only 18 and was arguably the best high school player in the draft. He will have a ton of time for development and will most likely be on the same trajectory as Thompson and Dalquist. That is an impressive trio on the rise together.

• Like 3

Honestly it depends how much Crochet comes in at and could we have had Abel/Howard at the same price?  BUT, I loved the plan of going for a 2 headed monster and forfeiting the last 3 picks.. Though i think Crochet may have been over paid.. But whatever, I love that we got both Crochet and Kelley

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Honestly it depends how much Crochet comes in at and could we have had Abel/Howard at the same price?  BUT, I loved the plan of going for a 2 headed monster and forfeiting the last 3 picks.. Though i think Crochet may have been over paid.. But whatever, I love that we got both Crochet and Kelley

Abel nor Howard dropped far enough where both would be possible

4 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Abel nor Howard dropped far enough where both would be possible

I don’t think he’s talking about getting both. He’s saying if Crochet comes in at slot, then we could have had Abel/Kelley or Howard/Kelley, and he would prefer one of those combos. 

• Like 2

If there were a full season, both of these guys could have theoretically been gone by #11, so I see this as a major win.

There's big risk involved, but there's huge upside.

Let's just list these names out:

Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Crochet, Kelley, Stiever, Dunning, Dalquist, Thompson, Vera

It also makes me glad we took Crochet once Detmers came off the board. I know you don't draft for fit, but he's the only significant lefty under 30 we've got other than Rodon.

the teams I think had better drafts had something in common: comp picks.

Considering we only had 5 and a modestly good position at 11 I think getting two guys the sox may have well rated top 15 or 20 is a pretty good plan.

Now it was a deep draft. And it may be one of those ones where in a few years we look at each round saying "we could have had X!" if neither dudes pan out. 

But would much rather sox go hard for top talent than when we actively wanted to get already cheap talent for even cheaper.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

If there were a full season, both of these guys could have theoretically been gone by #11, so I see this as a major win.

There's big risk involved, but there's huge upside.

Let's just list these names out:

Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Crochet, Kelley, Stiever, Dunning, Dalquist, Thompson, Vera

It also makes me glad we took Crochet once Detmers came off the board. I know you don't draft for fit, but he's the only significant lefty under 30 we've got other than Rodon.

Crochet is the most interesting pick.  With a full season he could have been a top 3 if he pitched a whole season like he had started this one, or he could have been a mid-round pick if he had fallen back to his freshman and sophomore years output.  I think Kelley probably has the same ranking, but maybe a team is willing to take a chance on him higher if they seem dominate another HS season.  There is a real possibility that if 2020 had been played out both Kelley and Crochet were off of the board before we picked.  Of course that would have meant someone else slides, but it is an interesting counterfactual to imagine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This draft was so deep I would have liked them to play it straight.  They could have had a quality prospect in each round.  

If Kelley is the man, punting on the 3rd and 4th round is well worth it. Go look at the Sox drafts the past 25 years. Not much from the 3rd or 4th round. Not much from any round really, except for Sale and TA. Hopefully, Vaughn and Madrigal and now Crochet change that. You can question if Crochet was a good pick. Some have doubts about Kelley, but IMO, the plan was pretty solid. If they got the right guys, they deserve a ton of praise.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

When you watch the draft on TV, it's hard to really put things in the proper perspective. Most of these guys will never sniff AAA let alone the big leagues. But you watch their highlights, all the pitchers throw close to 100. All of them have nasty breaking balls. All the hitters can hit it a mile, or at least will project to. They all seem capable of winning a gold medal at the Olympics with their speed.  The fact is, compared to other professional baseball players, the vast majority really don't stand out. 

I must of heard 3 or 4 times last night, "you could put this guy in a major league bullpen right now". OK, but not if you want to win.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

One thing I've been pondering for the last day...with so many different guys signed for 5+ years or covering positions for 6+ with arbitration, how much do the White Sox need "Depth"? 

If the Royals came away from this draft with 4 2-3 WAR players, that's a really good draft for the Royals. If the White Sox came away with that, they basically will have to trade a bunch of those guys because either they're going to be stuck on the bench or in the bullpen, and teams don't give up all that much in trades for guys who could be good but not great big leaguers, even if they have years of control.

What the White sox need is top flight guys, guys who can come in and take a spot at the top of the rotation or be traded for a guy like that. So maybe, because they have so many players already under control, swinging for the fences on every pick they can make is an especially correct move for them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

One thing I've been pondering for the last day...with so many different guys signed for 5+ years or covering positions for 6+ with arbitration, how much do the White Sox need "Depth"? 

If the Royals came away from this draft with 4 2-3 WAR players, that's a really good draft for the Royals. If the White Sox came away with that, they basically will have to trade a bunch of those guys because either they're going to be stuck on the bench or in the bullpen, and teams don't give up all that much in trades for guys who could be good but not great big leaguers, even if they have years of control.

What the White sox need is top flight guys, guys who can come in and take a spot at the top of the rotation or be traded for a guy like that. So maybe, because they have so many players already under control, swinging for the fences on every pick they can make is an especially correct move for them?

FWIW, the Sox have used good players under long term contracts as a sweetener when it comes to trades, and not as a reason to not trade a player.  At this stage the contracts of players like Quintana and Sale were assets and the Sox put them to work to acquire more players.  If it gets to stage where there are players pushing established players with contracts, it could set up a scenario for the player in front to be dealt for assets, or the players behind to be dealt for filling any holes they might have at that time.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This draft definitely feels like a Rick Hahn "diversify my risk portfolio" move. When he had a bunch of top flight talent from trades, he drafted a bunch of meh depth pieces. Now that much of that talent is graduating, he seems to be after more upside risk.

• Like 1