What would you have rather seen from this draft?

southsider2k5

What would you have rather seen from this draft?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Sox have run this draft?

• Exactly as they did, grab the stars, and make some lesser filler type picks at the end to save $$$ for Kelley and Crochet
    • Draft Kelley first, pay him slot, and then grab 4 slot level players
    • Draft Crochet and 4 slot level players
    • Find an underslot top pick, and some lesser overslot picks in the 2-5 rounds, aka not Kelley
    • Other, explain in a post

20 hours ago, Vulture said:

Talk about exploiting a situation to abuse the worker. Owners ought to be ashamed of themselves. Manfred has got to go, this guy is ruining baseball.

To be fair, the MLBPA signed off on that arrangement. As bad as Manfred is the Union has always been awful with how they've used the minors/amateur players as bargaining chips

39 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

what’s the reason we couldn’t have picked high upside guys in rounds 3-5 and offered them what we had left? If they turned it down no big loss over the guys we already picked.

We would have lost all the slot money attached to them and would not been able to sign Kelley as a result.

41 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

what’s the reason we couldn’t have picked high upside guys in rounds 3-5 and offered them what we had left? If they turned it down no big loss over the guys we already picked.

If they turn it down you lose the full slot value and can't sign anyone to overslot deals.

I don't like the Crochet pick at all, but I like the idea of going after two top guys. I think they chickened out taking Crochet since he should at least be a reliever if he doesn't blow out his arm.

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They grabbed two guys that are top 20 talents on paper at the weakest area of the club (pitching).  I don't really care how much they had to skimp after those guys to get it done.  They got aggressive and nailed it.

Agreed.  Anyone not loving this draft is insane.  And I don't even love Crochet..

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 2