2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

This 2021 draft will be the last under the current CBA.  In the new CBA, I certainly hope there is the addition of tradeable draft slots.  Also I think the overslot/underslot crap should go away.  Everyone gets slot, no more and no less, and you can trade the slots.  Make it easy.  Bump up the values in the 2nd round so it's not such a precipitous drop pick to pick from 1 overall to the end of the 2nd round.  

Edited by HollywoodTim
  • Like 3

Way too early BA 2021 mock. First 10 picks. Order determined by Fangraphs projected standings.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-mlb-mock-draft-way-too-early-top-10-picks/

1.) BAL - Kumar Rocker

2.) SEA - Jack Leiter

3.) DET - Brady House

4.) MIA - Adrian Del Castillo

5.) PIT - Matt McLain

6.) SF - Jud Fabian

7.) KC - Jaden Hill

8.) TOR - Colton Cowser

9.) COL - Luke Leto

10.) TEX - Braylon Bishop

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think they should keep the draft order the same for next year or do like a lottery and switch up the top 5. I don't think you can take records from a 54 game season to determine the draft order. 

A good  team in a short season may be tempted to Tank for the top pick. That's not fair .

On 6/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, DirtySox said:

Way too early BA 2021 mock. First 10 picks. Order determined by Fangraphs projected standings.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-mlb-mock-draft-way-too-early-top-10-picks/

Del Castillo is a guy the Sox drafted in the 36th RD in 2018 out of HS. Pretty crazy that he's now being mocked to be a top 5 pick, even a year early.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

They should do something like take the average draft position from the previous 3-5 years including the shortened season and set the order accordingly.

3-5 years is way too big of sample size, IMO. Teams have changed a lot in 5 years. But maybe doing something like the combined records of 2019 + 2020 would be fair. Basically a 220ish game sample size.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

They should do something like take the average draft position from the previous 3-5 years including the shortened season and set the order accordingly.

I think the most fair thing would be combined 2019 and 2020 record. That way you do consider 2020 results but you are getting a decent sample size and the worst teams draft highest.

For the sox that would of course be great as they were bad last year but projected to be better so with a combined record they could get like the 16th picks despite let's say their 2020 record giving them the 22nd  pick (if they are that good hopefully).

• Like 2