2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I really wonder how draft order is going to be determined. Have we heard any rumblings? Or are they likely to actually go off record like normal?

Nothing definitive just a lot of talk.    I don't know how they can set the order based off this messed up season especially if teams don't play all 60 games.  That's why I I think they're just  gonna use last years order and be done with it. 

On 8/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nothing definitive just a lot of talk.    I don't know how they can set the order based off this messed up season especially if teams don't play all 60 games.  That's why I I think they're just  gonna use last years order and be done with it. 

There's no chance they just use last year's draft order. And MLB is at least attempting to make up all games if you look at the revised schedule.

But you can't really believe they'd just give the Tigers the #1 pick again, right? Using order of finish in 2020 is most likely, but a random draw as a backup would make a lot more sense

15 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

There's no chance they just use last year's draft order. And MLB is at least attempting to make up all games if you look at the revised schedule.

But you can't really believe they'd just give the Tigers the #1 pick again, right? Using order of finish in 2020 is most likely, but a random draw as a backup would make a lot more sense

I feel like a combined 2019/2020 record may be the way to go.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Looks like they're moving the draft to middle of July.  I really hope they thought this thru but something tells me they didn't. This is going to fuck a lot of shit up.  

They want to get rid of all the short season leagues. So they move the draft later, shut down all the pitchers and have college hitters play low A. High school guys go to complex leagues.  I bet they shrink the draft significantly over the next several years. I think MLB is tired of paying for a system in which whole teams don’t even have one Mlb player on them.

It's going to mess up the draft schedule because teams won't have the entire summer to scout next years group.  Major summer events like PG National, East Coast Pro, Under Armour Game, PG all star game,  Area Codes and numerus summer tournaments will all be affected or canceled. It's also going to mess up summer college leagues.  I don't think they fully understand the summer scouting circuit.  

They will most definitely reduce the draft and that is also a mistake.  Teams are being short sighted because they look at it as paying players who won't make it to the big leagues when in reality they are playing against the guys who will make it to the big leagues.  Those guys have to play and develop against someone.  

On 6/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, turnin' two said:

Again, I have to ask, does MLB care?  They have never done the slightest thing to try to curb tanking.  

To be fair.  There isn't a Salary cap.  That unfortunately is the best approach for small market teams.

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's going to mess up the draft schedule because teams won't have the entire summer to scout next years group.  Major summer events like PG National, East Coast Pro, Under Armour Game, PG all star game,  Area Codes and numerus summer tournaments will all be affected or canceled. It's also going to mess up summer college leagues.  I don't think they fully understand the summer scouting circuit.  

They will most definitely reduce the draft and that is also a mistake.  Teams are being short sighted because they look at it as paying players who won't make it to the big leagues when in reality they are playing against the guys who will make it to the big leagues.  Those guys have to play and develop against someone.  

I think scouting is mostly dead, they use mostly trackman data, videos and stuff like that now and maybe a bit of scouting. Teams have fired a lot of scouts.

Also I think HS and int players will do more training early on and less games. 

And long term mlb might want to use college ball as a free dev system like football does. That means most draft guys will be college with a few very talented HS exceptions.

Edited by Dominikk85