2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

MLB is trying its damndest to kill scouting but smart teams will never let that happen.  Technology is a tool but it will never tell you if an18-21 year old can play.  Only experience and getting to know the player will tell you that and that's what scouts do.  Teams that think they can look at a computer screen to tell them if a kid can play are in for a rude awakening.  

This is what I've heard about next year's draft. Between 20-30 rounds, bonus pools same as this year. $20K max after last round but the guys after round 10 will still be $125K. It'll look like a normal draft but just be shorter. 

The other thing that will help the White Sox: it sounds like the Commissioner will alter the draft order. They are going to use some or all of the 2019 record plus the 2020 record to determine the draft order. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is what I've heard about next year's draft. Between 20-30 rounds, bonus pools same as this year. $20K max after last round but the guys after round 10 will still be $125K. It'll look like a normal draft but just be shorter. 

The other thing that will help the White Sox: it sounds like the Commissioner will alter the draft order. They are going to use some or all of the 2019 record plus the 2020 record to determine the draft order. 

WOOOOOOOO

On 9/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm happy DET has done well this year. But also the pirates deserve something for this trash. They really do.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's to hoping for pick #30.

I hope they do a combined record of 2019 and 2020 which could give the sox a pick in the 15 range (if they win 39 games this year they will end up with a combined 19-20 .500 record).

That would be a huge break for the sox if they get like the 15th pick instead of the 28th or so.

Edited by Dominikk85

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I hope they do a combined record of 2019 and 2020 which could give the sox a pick in the 15 range (if they win 39 games this year they will end up with a combined 19-20 .500 record).

That would be a huge break for the sox if they get like the 15th pick instead of the 28th or so.

Same. It also helps that the relative success of detroit, miami, baltimore, etc should wash out some movement from being too large.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Same. It also helps that the relative success of detroit, miami, baltimore, etc should wash out some movement from being too large.

Sox won't move past those teams though as the last season would weigh much more on the position. Those teams would still stay near the bottom.

Big winners would be the sox and padres who have good seasons and still get good picks (padres might even get a top10).

Red sox would be the biggest loser being that bad and still probably only getting a mid round pick.

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox won't move past those teams though as the last season would weigh much more on the position. Those teams would still stay near the bottom.

Big winners would be the sox and padres who have good seasons and still get good picks (padres might even get a top10).

Red sox would be the biggest loser being that bad and still probably only getting a mid round pick.

Obviously sox not dropping past anyone, I am hoping it helps keep a similar draft order to last year which is a win for sox.

I don't know how they can use the results of this "season" to determine the future of baseball.  It's only 60 games (with 1 team not playing 60)  played against 9 teams, players opting out, a rash of injuries, bullshit 7 inning games and bullshit extra inning rules.  I'm sure dipshit Manfred doesn't want to completely invalidate this season (even though he did just that back in June) but I don't think this "season" should be used to determine next years draft order.  Just use last years draft order. 

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know how they can use the results of this "season" to determine the future of baseball.  It's only 60 games (with 1 team not playing 60)  played against 9 teams, players opting out, a rash of injuries, bullshit 7 inning games and bullshit extra inning rules.  I'm sure dipshit Manfred doesn't want to completely invalidate this season (even though he did just that back in June) but I don't think this "season" should be used to determine next years draft order.  Just use last years draft order. 

I personally don't hate the 7 inning double headers.

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've heard from one of the big prospect writers that Manfred will alter the draft order using some form of 2019 record + 2020 record. I've heard from others though that Manfred is threatening to do a lottery for the top 10 and has warned teams about tanking down the stretch. 

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've heard from one of the big prospect writers that Manfred will alter the draft order using some form of 2019 record + 2020 record. I've heard from others though that Manfred is threatening to do a lottery for the top 10 and has warned teams about tanking down the stretch. 

I honestly don't hate the lottery.

I know we just went through a rebuild, but it was never as egregiously awful as, for example, the Astros got.

Regardless, this is going to be an awesome draft next year.

The only scenario I'd hate is a lottery occurring, and the red sox getting rocker and things turning around for them dramatically similar to after 2013. Unlikely with their FAs, but that offense is still damn good and Verdugo has been a stud.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Regardless, this is going to be an awesome draft next year.

The only scenario I'd hate is a lottery occurring, and the red sox getting rocker and things turning around for them dramatically similar to after 2013. Unlikely with their FAs, but that offense is still damn good and Verdugo has been a stud.

Yeah the residual effects of COVID are going to make for some of the deepest drafts in MLB history.

21 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That would be massively unfair towards teams who were good last year and bad this year. 

I think using a combined record would be most fair.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

dumb

Its a bad look to say this is a real season, but then pick and choose the spots at which you apply that concept.  Should they weight who makes the playoffs over the last two years?  Why is the draft different?  I know this hurts our Sox at all, but it doesn't make sense to have different standards here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its a bad look to say this is a real season, but then pick and choose the spots at which you apply that concept.  Should they weight who makes the playoffs over the last two years?  Why is the draft different?  I know this hurts our Sox at all, but it doesn't make sense to have different standards here.

100%

Yeah, they should stick with the same rules for next year. Next CBA, I want anti-tanking rules. I want a draft lottery system. No team can have the 1-1 more than once a decade. No top 3's in back to back years. Can't have a top 5 more than three times in a five year period. And picks should be tradeable pre-draft.

Edited by flavum