2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

30 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What difference does throwing arm make for an outfielder??

Not much but generally batting left is a slight advantage due to the platoon situation plus sometimes people bat worse from their non natural side so there really is no reason to bat like this while a natural righty batting left gains the platoon advantage.

It worked for Rickey Henderson though:) but generally it is not something that is recommended and thus it is very rare. 

Left handed throwers are positionally limited because they can only play the outfield and 1B.  This kills most right hit/left throwers because they don't profile at those positions but it doesn't hurt Fabian because he plays an excellent centerfield and if he goes to a team with an estabablished CF'er he can play a corner because the power profiles there as well.  Fabian is a young college toolshed (he graduated HS a year early to attend Florida) who has performed in the best conference in the counrty.  Lets not over think this one.  

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Left handed throwers are positionally limited because they can only play the outfield and 1B.  This kills most right hit/left throwers because they don't profile at those positions but it doesn't hurt Fabian because he plays an excellent centerfield and if he goes to a team with an estabablished CF'er he can play a corner because the power profiles there as well.  Fabian is a young college toolshed (he graduated HS a year early to attend Florida) who has performed in the best conference in the counrty.  Lets not over think this one.  

Naw it's cool if 20 teams overthink it.

33 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That would be incredible but I just can't believe he would be there.  

I know he's not part of this class, but what's your take on Crews so far? I recall you being high on him. I heard he's been putting up some stupid EVs.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I know he's not part of this class, but what's your take on Crews so far? I recall you being high on him. I heard he's been putting up some stupid EVs.

Oh man is he killing it. He just flat out cranks. It's too bad he didn't have the summer some wanted to see because guys like him don't belong in college. He will be an awful lot of fun to follow the next three years and hopefully LSU can keep it rolling and we'll be able to watch him on the big stage in Omaha.  What a treat that will be.   

also just sidenote on law, he is my #1 media evaluator, but he is still annoying. I will say baseball draftguys have much less of a herd mentality than football/basketball, which is nice.  I get that it's annoying that people think your rankings should reflect some x just because another writer did it. Callis is the worst because it just seems like all he does is take a mixture of others and then move up a few for interest.

That said, Law had to know leaving Fabian out of his top 30 would be of interest. And in the comments, he can be such a jerk about it, like it is beneath him to have to explain his rankings. But that is kinda his job.

The BA crew are just obsessively nice and I'll always back them up for that.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ty Madden is throwing the absolute hell out of it tonight.  They really really like him but it's very doubtful he'll be there at 22.  Another guy they really like is Colton Cowser and he had a good day too. He's a more realistic target.   

Steven Hajjar made his debut tonight for Michigan 6.2 IP, 6H, 2ER, 1BB, 8K

Mostly seen him mocked in the second round range (usually to the Tigers as a lazy pick since Fetter is their pitching coach now). Only his 5th start in college since he missed 2019 with an injury and only got 4 starts last year. Didn't get to watch the game, but from the highlights seemed like he was spotting the fastball pretty well. I'll be interested to follow him this year and see if he moves up the board at all.

Edited by TomPickle

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Now 8 of the first 9 via Ks. I don't understand the Rocker preference to him at all.

Yeah I think he is really good. Some people hold size against Leiter (listed at 6"1 but many say he is more like 6"0 at best) and rocker has more of a classic ace starter body but if he is really good I don't care about that. 

There are also scouts who don't love Leiters big drop slow curve. That works in amateur ball but scouts think that pro hitters will see that loop out of the hand and would prefer a straighter power curve. 

Giolito had a similar issue, had that big curve which was great in amateur ball but pro hitters would pick it up which is why in pro ball he leaned more on the slider and now works on a less bendy curve that is straighter out of the hand.