2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not if he keeps throwing like this.  He's a guy I thought would make a big jump during the spring but this is getting ridiculous. 

Those gaudy strikeout numbers with his size and the stuff he has... Yeah, i see him getting drafted early. Illinois kid too.

Edited by ron883

On 3/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah you read that right.  Dudes got big league shit.  

I don't know anything about this kid, but the pitch never had any of the zone. He's going to need to tighten up the break for it to work at the next level and Penn State has easily been the worst team in the Big Ten over the past 5 years. His numbers from that game are obviously impressive, but this one pitch isn't special.

It is interesting how bad the draft is for college hitting after 18 and 19 were so good on college hitting and 20 was slightly down  from that turning towards pitching but still decent. But this draft seems to be all pitching on the college side, I'm Sure guys will pop up but there aren't really guys like Vaughn, madrigal, rutschman, torkelson or martin who had been talked about as top 3 picks already in their soph year.

But that makes me optimistic the sox are not getting another athletically challenged college high performer:)

10 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

So that's gotta be an 80 grade slider, right?  That has to be as good of a pitch as that pitch gets.

It's a 70 curveball. It's not quite an 80 but it's damn good because of the deception, tight spin and incredible amount of depth it gets.   He was also up to 97 in his last start.  He has to improve his change and fastball command but he has all traits of a top of the rotation starter.  As they say; "that's what they look like." 

4 hours ago, credezcrew24 said:

I don't know anything about this kid, but the pitch never had any of the zone. He's going to need to tighten up the break for it to work at the next level and Penn State has easily been the worst team in the Big Ten over the past 5 years. His numbers from that game are obviously impressive, but this one pitch isn't special.

:lolhitting

I went back to 2005 for all the HS catchers selected in the first and supplemental first round. HS catcher is by far the worst pick a team can make in the 1st round. 

Brandon Snyder

Maxwell Sapp

Hank Conger

Devin Mesoraco

Travis d'Arnaud

Brett Lawrie (didn't know he was a HS catcher)

Kyle Skipworth

Steve Baron

Kellin Deglan

Justin O'Conner

Blake Swihart

Brett Austin (didn't sign)

Stryker Trahan

Clint Coulter

Steve Bean

Reese McGuire

Nick Ciuffo

Blake Anderson

Chase Vallot

Tyler Stephenson

Anthony Siegler

Noah Naylor

Tyler Soderstrom

Drew Romo

None selected in 2016, 2017, 2019

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

https://www.futuresox.com/2021/03/15/2021-mlb-mock-draft-2/

@Y2Jimmy0 has sox picking Ford, Jobe one spot higher.

I would really like this draft, prep catchers are definitely high risk but as was noted it looks like he has the athletic profile to move to a different position down the road. Maybe a little like Craig Biggio?

Regardless I hope the Sox employ a strategy like this one this year, targeting high upside HS talent in the first couple of rounds. Maybe they can work out an underslot bonus in round 1 and spread it around the next few rounds like San Diego and Cleveland have done the past couple of years.