2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

1 hour ago, bmags said:

At least fabian has power.

Kendall also hit 15 bombs his final college year. 

Definitely hard pass on a guy striking out 30% in college. I have seen an article that usually you can add about 5-10 percentage points to power conference D1 hitters to get their pro K rate, I. E above 20% college K rate is alarming. 

6 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Kendall also hit 15 bombs his final college year. 

Definitely hard pass on a guy striking out 30% in college. I have seen an article that usually you can add about 5-10 percentage points to power conference D1 hitters to get their pro K rate, I. E above 20% college K rate is alarming. 

I'm not advocating that, I've done research before on the hell pit of college picks k'ing greater than even 20%. But Kendall was also awful in his cape cod league stint and had more gap power than pure power. Fabian lit up the cape code league as I think the youngest guy there. 

This year I would bet more than any some of the tried-and-true draft heuristics will fail us. I'd be too scared to bet on Fabian, but it's a weirder case than Kendall.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kendall had a history of not hitting that went back to HS.  Fabian has a history of hitting and if he didn't early enroll at Florida he would have been a top round pick so the comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.  Also not all strike outs are the same at the amatuer level.    

If Fabian and Cowser are both available at 22. Who you taking? 

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kendall had a history of not hitting that went back to HS.  Fabian has a history of hitting and if he didn't early enroll at Florida he would have been a top round pick so the comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.  Also not all strike outs are the same at the amatuer level.    

That is right, Ks due to mechanical issues or chasing balls are not great either but not as bad as a guy with a good swing missing fastballs in the zone due to lack of batspeed or hand eye coordination 

10 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Damn it all to hell.  Hill walked off the mound. I hate everything.  We know who to blame for this. 

Ricky?

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Jaden Hill leaving with the trainer. No bueno.

Awful, hope he's okay, but IF he falls to us, all for it

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Leiter has 11 K's thru 4 and (of course) hasn't allowed a hit.  Kid's crazy good.  

He has to go first overall, absolutely disgusting

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

TJ for Jaden Hill.  I hate everything.  

Law on his draft stock:

What does this do to Hill's draft stock?

Keith Law, senior MLB writer: Hill's stock was already falling rapidly after his disaster start against Oral Roberts, when he couldn't get out of the first inning, with three more awful starts since then, showing reduced stuff and command. Pitchers who've undergone Tommy John surgery or needed it have still gone in the first round  — Walker Buehler, Clarke Schmidt and Lucas Giolito among them  — but not in the top ten picks, where Hill might have gone had he stayed healthy all spring.

Wonder if he would be in play at 22.

Edited by DirtySox

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You can add Jeff Hoffman and Eric Fedde in with that group too.  Drafting TJ guys is a mixed bag so I doubt he would be in play for the Sox.  I could see him going to a team with multiple picks so they can hedge their bets.  Cincy at 30 looks like a good landing spot for him.  

Yeah, seems too risky for the Sox, I see them drafting Gavin Sheets again instead.  

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Law on his draft stock:

Wonder if he would be in play at 22.

I bet he'll be there and personally, I'd strongly consider

However, between the injury and his lack of being proven, I'm not sure I would take him, nor the White Sox

Feel awful for the kid, extremely promising prospect