2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

They like some college pitchers who likley won't be avaialble (Ty Madden, Sean Burke, Jordan Wicks).  They like Joe Rock but if he keeps throwing like this he won't be available either.  I've heard they like some HS bats (Benny Montgomery, Wes Kath, Izaac Pacheco). I'm really hoping that's the direction they go.  

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They like some college pitchers who likley won't be avaialble (Ty Madden, Sean Burke, Jordan Wicks).  They like Joe Rock but if he keeps throwing like this he won't be available either.  I've heard they like some HS bats (Benny Montgomery, Wes Kath, Izaac Pacheco). I'm really hoping that's the direction they go.  

I've heard Pacheco is a definite target and Georgia catcher Harry Ford as well. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Is they the White Sox?

For those that want to get familiar with some of these prep bats, here's some BA reports.

Harry Ford

Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 187 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Georgia Tech
Age At Draft: 18.4

Ford is one of the top players in the 2021 class, and he’s also among the better athletes of the group. Scouts praise his explosive athleticism and believe that will allow him to stick behind the plate long term, though he has impressive infield actions as well and some think he could also handle center field. Ford has more than enough arm for the position, with at least above-average throwing ability, and is mobile and light on his feet with all the mental and leadership traits that scouts want to see from a catcher. As a hitter, Ford has a solid history of showing feel for the barrel, with above-average bat speed and strength that comes from a well-developed frame and twitchy actions. Some evaluators believe he is more power over hit with a low handset that could help him leverage his swing for long fly balls. Unlike most catchers, Ford is an easy plus runner—he clocked the second-fastest 60-yard time at East Coast Pro at 6.42 seconds—and could move to a number of positions if necessary in the future. The 5-foot-10, 187-pound backstop is committed to catching pipeline Georgia Tech.

Izaac Pacheco

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 210 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Texas A&M
Age At Draft: 18.7

If picturesque swings and muscular, projectable bodies are your thing, Pacheco might be your guy in the 2021 prep class. A 6-foot-3, 210-pound shortstop committed to Texas A&M, Pacheco is a power-oriented lefthanded hitter with a fluid swing and quick hands in the box. Pacheco has a fluid and quick lefthanded swing that is geared for power now, and he projects for at least plus juice in the future with present strength and bat speed, and more room to fill out. While scouts have praised an advanced approach at the plate, Pacheco does come with some swing-and-miss concerns and he has had trouble tapping into his power in game situations throughout the summer. Like many of the top shortstops in the 2021 class, Pacheco is fine at the position now, but most scouts believe he will shift over to third in the future. He has solid hands and more than enough arm strength for either position, but scouts believe as he fills out he won’t have the range and quickness for shortstop, making him a solid fit at the hot corner.

Benny Montgomery

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 195 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Virginia
Age At Draft: 18.8

Tool for tool, Montgomery might be the most talented player in the 2021 class. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Pennsylvania product immediately stands out with his collection of plus and better tools. He’s got big raw power and manages exit velocities pushing 100 mph when he connects and has consistently been one of the faster runners in the class, clocking multiple sub-6.4-second 60-yard dash times. Montgomery is at least a 70-grade runner and might be a half-grade better, and he pairs power and speed with a strong throwing arm as well. He has a chance to be a premium center fielder and base runner, but scouts are still wondering about his hitting ability. Montgomery is still figuring out his lanky, projectable body at times, and that’s clear in the box. He has a lot of moving parts, including a hand drop that leads to inconsistent timing and contact. The crudeness to his offensive approach has limited his production at the plate and has led evaluators to wondering whether or not he’ll be able to tap into his tools in games at the next level, though he has enough athleticism to make adjustments and refine his game as he matures. The Virginia commit has terrific upside, but he also comes with plenty of risk at the moment.

Wes Kath

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 200 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Arizona State
Age At Draft: 19.0

Kath was a loud performer throughout the summer showcase circuit and showed a loud enough bat form the left side to propel himself up draft boards. One of the better corner infielders in the prep class, Kath has played shortstop but most scouts believe he has already outgrown the position with a 6-foot-3, 200-pound frame. He has solid glovework and arm strength that should allow him to handle the hot corner, but he’s a below-average runner who lacks the lateral range necessary for shortstop and should only continue adding strength in the future. Even at a corner, there’s a chance for Kath’s bat to profile nicely, as he showed good barrel control and loud exit velocities against some of the top arms in the class and in some of the bigger showcase events. Kath is a projection power bat committed to Arizona State.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

From the sounds of it, I'm leaning college arm (Madden, Cusick, Hajjar) or prep bat at #22 (Ford, Pacheco)

Sounds like a lot of my favorite prospects will be going Top 10 (Rocker, Leiter obviously, but also Davis and Hoglund)

How do we feel if Hill falls to #22? Worth the risk? I'm on the fence

really interesting BA "ten risers" article today.

First Matt Mikulski from fordham re-did his arm action after going undrafted last year, in a way that seems very similar to how Katz has been working with our pitchers. May be a good fit. He's up to 97-98 this year, and is a senior, but likely to get real money.

Thatcher hurd, who went from being a HS catcher to focusing just on pitcher this year and is 6'4, 205 lbs with a clean delivery:

"Hurd fits the mold of a high school pitcher with advanced athleticism and body control, who is topping out around 94 mph now, but could take big velocity strides in the future. He has the potential for two different swing-and-miss breaking balls and has shown a changeup that gets above-average future projections—loud praise for a prep pitcher"

Lastly, this dude:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-mlb-draft-stock-watch-10-rising-prospects-in-our-ba-300-update/

Weird night for Rocker.  He's sitting 91-93 and gave up a 3 run jack in the 1st. The next 5 innings he gave up 1 hit and struck out 12.  He's throwing his slider a lot. His fastball and fastball command has not been good lately. Right now I have him behind Hogland and maybe Madden. 

He just gave up another tater.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Weird night for Rocker.  He's sitting 91-93 and gave up a 3 run jack in the 1st. The next 5 innings he gave up 1 hit and struck out 12.  He's throwing his slider a lot. His fastball and fastball command has not been good lately. Right now I have him behind Hogland and maybe Madden

He just gave up another tater.  

Is that a legitimate possibility?

Mac

1:53

Is Kumar Rocker falling out of the top 5?

Keith Law

1:53

No. Could he, yes. Is he right now, no, I don't think so. But he might be the 3rd pitcher taken today rather than the second (Hoglund).

Edited by DirtySox

2014 draft related kinda?

JT

1:30

Can we believe in Carlos Rodon again? I am not really a White Sox fan, but it's hard to be against someone finally healthy and able to make good on unfulfilled promise.

Keith Law

1:34

I apologize for using the technical vernacular here, but his shit was ridiculous the other night. Averaging 95 again? 30 sliders with 8 whiffs in 11 swings and no balls hit fair? I just pulled up his K of Kyle Seager on 3 swinging strikes on sliders - two in the zone, one below it. Filthy.

I have NO idea if he can hold up, but this is basically the guy I saw at NC State as an underclassman.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 4

Bachman might be the most interesting player in the draft.  It is so ugly and he does so many things wrong but what comes out of his hand is unbelievable.  This will be a goood test to see if teams are getting less concerned about what happens in back and only interested in what happens out front because this dude is horrible in back and incredible out front. 

On 4/11/2021 at 9:43 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Bachman might be the most interesting player in the draft.  It is so ugly and he does so many things wrong but what comes out of his hand is unbelievable.  This will be a goood test to see if teams are getting less concerned about what happens in back and only interested in what happens out front because this dude is horrible in back and incredible out front. 

Really hoped you were going to say he was related to bachman turner overdrive/tal bachman family.

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

HS baseball has to ban bat flips.  HS football banned spiking the ball after a touchdown and it's time for baseball to do the same. That's just ridiculous.

I was 100% ready for it to be a small bat flip or some shit, but damn that bat flip could have fucked someone up if it hit them in the head.