2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Law has a piece up today that explores Louisville catcher Henry Davis as the best draft prospect in the class.

https://theathletic.com/2527868/?source=twitterhq

The assumption all spring has been that the first overall pick, held by Pittsburgh, would be one of the two Vanderbilt right-handers, Jack Leiter (No. 1 on my board) or Kumar Rocker. But the industry has long held that position players are safer picks than pitchers, and there are few more valuable position players than catchers who can hit and defend. Davis can do those things, and there aren’t many better hitters in this class at any position

Davis has an elite approach at the plate, an ideal combination of selectivity, pitch recognition, and hand acceleration, so that he just doesn’t swing and miss. I saw one swing-and-miss in 10 plate appearances over two games, and his whiff rate this season is only around 6 percent, while he reached base safely in eight of those trips to the plate via five hits and three walks. His swing is beautiful, with the aforementioned quick hands and great hip rotation to allow him to drive the ball, and he showed no problem catching up to 96-97 against UVA. Behind the plate, he receives well but needs some work with blocking, while the Cavaliers never even tested his plus arm.

Even if you think Davis is Posey Lite, is that a more valuable player than a good  No. 2 starter, which is Leiter’s projection? Would you prefer the certainty of a catcher who hits to the wider variance in outcomes for Rocker, who can show you No. 1 stuff and has a workhorse build, but lacks the command or consistency of a Leiter? Joey Bart was the No. 2 pick three years ago, with an inferior offensive profile and track record to Davis, striking out far more often. Maybe it’s time to reconsider the idea that the first pick has to be one of the Vandy boys, even if Pittsburgh is limiting its choices to college players. Davis is, at the very least, good enough to be in their decision set.

Edited by DirtySox

Not many highly drafted catchers have worked in the last years. I wouldn't draft a catcher top5 overall, chances that you get a buster posey are slim (we have heard the next posey or "Joe Mauer with more power" a lot and it rarely worked) and also even if he works out a catcher only plays 4-5 times a week at best so you get less plate appearances than if you draft another position player. In fantasy thus I always take late guys for catching. 

On the other hand the average catcher has like a 90 wrc+ so you gain a lot by putting in a posey or grandal but then again you only get like 110-120 games per season which diminishes the value some. 

I can understand teams using a cheap defense first catcher and getting offense in other places albeit of course having a double skill catcher is a nice thing to have that separates you from other teams. 

But still if I'm a rebuilding team other things have priority, get a middle infielder, center fielder or front line ace to start your core. 

Edited by Dominikk85

On 4/19/2021 at 8:05 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Over drafted catchers combined with over drafted Louisville players is a perfect storm.  Man I would LOVE to see the Pirates take Davis 1-1.  

Why?  At least if they take Leiter then he's 1) out of our league so we don't have to face him and 2) we can try to trade for him 4 years into his career.

Mock 2.0 from throughthefencebaseball.com

22. Chicago White Sox: Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East HS (NY)

Mack has proven he can be a quality catcher offensively and defensively. While he is committed to Clemson, many believe if selected in the first round that he’ll sign. A tough catcher with big league guff. Him and Henry Davis might be back-to-back if the cards fall right.

Previously had Mack mocked to the sox as well.

Personally if the draft plays out in a similar fashion as mocked here and Painter doesn't fall Id prefer LHP Jordan Wicks or LHP Josh Hartle, consideration for SS Alex Mooney as well. I like Solometo but Hartle fits the mold of what the sox typically take in a left hander with the 3/4 delivery. 

9 hours ago, beautox said:

Personally if the draft plays out in a similar fashion as mocked here and Painter doesn't fall Id prefer LHP Jordan Wicks or LHP Josh Hartle, consideration for SS Alex Mooney as well. I like Solometo but Hartle fits the mold of what the sox typically take in a left hander with the 3/4 delivery. 

I don't think they'll take a prep pitcher in round 1. Going to be a prep hitter or college pitcher IMO. 

I really don't know what to think this year.

I'd say if I could make it binary, either this is the year that college pitching development so leapfrogged hitting that 20% strikeout rates will no longer be the boogaboo they were, or this is as bad a college hitting group as we've seen.

But of course, it may be a truly special college pitching crop - it came from a crazy special HS prep class that many didn't go pro.

OR, it is just a weird year because it WAS a weird year.

I don't envy the college evaluators. I guess what I'm saying is in 4 years, we could look back and say "wow there was so much value to be found in college hitting by those who ignored the weirdly high k-rates" OR it's "man what a trash college hitting class that was". And I wouldn't bet money on either, but it definitely feels like the k-rates are soooo much higher in all the top guys. It used to be a big red flag if they weren't close to equal on BB and K, now it's hard to find guys under 25% krate.

9 hours ago, beautox said:

At the risk of sounding Caulfieldian, the Meriam-Webster definition of "guff"

Definition of guff
1: NONSENSE, HUMBUG

I would like the player with "big league nonsense."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've heard some pretty unbelievable things about Jackson Jobe. Right now I have him going 4 to Boston and that might be light. He's been incredible this spring.  Guys are saying it's the best slider they've ever seen and he has a plus change and he sits in the mid 90's.  He's a DUDE.  

😐

51 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

ChiSox Mock:

22) Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest/Jaden Hill, RHP, LSU
57) Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
93) Steven Hajjar, LHP, Michigan
123) Kevin Abel, RHP, Oregon State
153) Matheu Nelson, C, FSU

This would be very disappointing. They need youth and athletes in the farm desperately. 

On 4/21/2021 at 4:20 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Pittsburgh doesn't deserve Leiter.  

I think their new front office is definitely better than the old one, they have a pretty good farm system now and cherington build a good farm in Boston too before dombrowski was hired to cash in so he has a History of doing that. 

Now the pirates owner is still terrible of course. 

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think their new front office is definitely better than the old one, they have a pretty good farm system now and cherington build a good farm in Boston too before dombrowski was hired to cash in so he has a History of doing that. 

Now the pirates owner is still terrible of course. 

No one deserves their owner.  It's hilarious in a really bad way how much scum there is in pro sports ownership.  I'm no Mark Cuban fan by any means and I think he's a scumbag also, but he's almost a saint compared to the likes of the guy in Pittsburgh, Glass formerly with the Royals, Loria, and of course the dorf among others.  I'm not sure why he can't get in.  I don't know the story behind it.

But you can absolutely unequivocally make an argument that the Pirates fanbase and the city of Pittsburgh deserves a winner on the field.  It's probably the easiest argument to make in baseball.

9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

No one deserves their owner.  It's hilarious in a really bad way how much scum there is in pro sports ownership.  I'm no Mark Cuban fan by any means and I think he's a scumbag also, but he's almost a saint compared to the likes of the guy in Pittsburgh, Glass formerly with the Royals, Loria, and of course the dorf among others.  I'm not sure why he can't get in.  I don't know the story behind it.

But you can absolutely unequivocally make an argument that the Pirates fanbase and the city of Pittsburgh deserves a winner on the field.  It's probably the easiest argument to make in baseball.

But Glass/Dayton Moore are largely responsible for two consecutive World Series teams...at least they have that, especially for the bottom 10 teams in baseball to stand as an example that it CAN be done.

When they did win, they were willing to increase the payroll significantly, and even gave Gordon and Sal Perez last contracts out of a sense of loyalty appreciation.

That said, Sal Perez is playing extremely well THIS year, he's definitely not washed up (yet).