2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

He should go in the top 15. He has too much up side not to. He's not a poor man's Luis Robert he's more of a middle class man's Luis Robert. He obviously doesn't have Roberts' explosiveness but he is a plus CF with plus power who swings and misses.  I'm sure the teams that killed him too early are running back in to get another look.  

On 5/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, DirtySox said:

Trey Sweeney, SS, Eastern Illinois — No. 82 (+155)

Sweeney has been one of the better offensive performers in the country this season and is hitting .399/.523/.736 with a team-high 12 home runs after homering this past weekend. There are some moving parts in his swing, but some scouts think he has a chance for plus power potential and while scouts are mixed on whether or not he sticks at shortstop at the next level, he certainly has the arm to handle third base. He’s been heavily scouted in recent weeks and it’s no surprise why given his production—even if it is against lower-level competition in the Ohio Valley Conference.

He'll stay at SS. Trey has excellent instincts and his feet are always in the correct spot. He takes very good angles to the ball to eliminate bad hops.  He's a big dude and not super flashy he's just a guy that makes it look easy.  He does have an exaggerated leg lift that he's able to consistently time up but he may have to calm it down when he starts facing better off speed stuff.  He's been heavily scouted since opening day.  

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He'll stay at SS. Trey has excellent instincts and his feet are always in the correct spot. He takes very good angles to the ball to eliminate bad hops.  He's a big dude and not super flashy he's just a guy that makes it look easy.  He does have an exaggerated leg lift that he's able to consistently time up but he may have to calm it down when he starts facing better off speed stuff.  He's been heavily scouted since opening day.  

Paul Dejong a good comp?

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Paul Dejong a good comp?

Not really. DeJong is such a unique player with a special story.  He was a catcher who had two knee surgeries (one in HS one in college).  He played 2B, 3B and caught midweeks in college.  No one I mean no one thought he was a SS and the Cardinals didn't start playing him there until I'm pretty sure he was in AA so at the time no one really knew what he was.  Everyone knew he could hit but questioned if he would hit with enough power to play a corner.   What everyone missed was he's just a special player with an uncanny feel for the game who plays above his tools.  Sweeney is not like that.  First off he's a left handed hitter and the power and arm are both plus.  Some will question his hit tool and defense but I think he'll make an adjustment with his swing and hit and I definitey think he sticks at SS.  The word is he's going to the Cape for a few weeks.  If he hits there and I have no reason to think otherwise he could move into the 2nd round. 

• Thanks 1

I either want a college pitcher who can help the ML team soon, if not now or I want a high upside prep player.

If they take the college pitcher then I hope they go with a heavy prep focus in rounds 2-10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I either want a college pitcher who can help the ML team soon, if not now or I want a high upside prep player.

If they take the college pitcher then I hope they go with a heavy prep focus in rounds 2-10.

I was thinking this the other day

Don't want to rush another Burdi however

11 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

This strategy is tough to do with barely $7 million. I could see Prep bat, prep arm, college pitcher, college pitcher and then really cheap signs in 5-10 or something. If you go prep heavy early on, you'll likely have to overslot to do it. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

I was thinking this the other day

Don't want to rush another Burdi however

I’m of the opinion that Burdi would’ve been called up to the big soon after they drafted him.

If the Sox took Jud Fabian at 22, Is be very upset. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

Last four conference weekends (Missouri/Auburn/Vandy/Kentucky) Jud Fabian has gone 16-40 (.400/.528/1.050) w/twelve of those hits going for extras (five doubles, seven home runs). 12 BB (23% walk rate), 8 SO (15% strikeout rate), over 53 PA. Now second in D1 with 18 HR

Jud Fabian has been on fire.  He turned his season around while facing by far the best pitching in the country. He's showed toughness and the ability to make in season adjustments.  The guys an absolute stud. 

At 22, I would be pretty excited about a talent like that. I think a lot of the college hitters were unfairly maligned early, and are now starting to turn it around. 

Given our new "everyone can be an outfielder" I'd be interested in hearing more on Peyton Stovall as he keeps rising with his bat, despite a limited defensive profile. 

And on opposite end, Will Taylor sounds cool but I'm guessing he'll be expensive as hell. 

I want guys good at baseball not just athletes but I want them capable of playing/staying at premium positions.  So, I want more up the middle guys than corners.  Not necessarily in the first but you never have enough catchers.