2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

I don't understand what Law is doing.  He's not scouting the player he's scouting the results and that's not like him.  If a guy is good that day he's good and if he's bad that day he's bad.  Scout the tools.  Those don't change.  He's going to miss on a lot of guys if he's just scouting the stat line.

Fabian is one of the leaders in the “tooled-up SEC outfielders who swing and miss too much” category, leading the pack in tools, but with no history of making adjustments even though he has two pretty significant holes in his approach. He’s cut his strikeout rate to a manageable level over the last few weeks in the SEC, enough to put himself into second-round range for someone who wants to bet on his upside.

Looks like he.........made an adjustment.  

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd lean prep bat for the White Sox if I had to guess right now. They like lots of guys. 

I've liked their HS arm approach they've gone to recently.  Do you think this will be a more offensive minded draft throughout?

10 hours ago, wegner said:

I've liked their HS arm approach they've gone to recently.  Do you think this will be a more offensive minded draft throughout?

I'm thinking prep bats and college pitching. It's tough to get prep pitching with their small bonus pool 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm thinking prep bats and college pitching. It's tough to get prep pitching with their small bonus pool 

The only thing I wonder about is if college players are more expensive this year with juniors still having 2 years of eligibility in their pocket, vs high schoolers who would be looking at getting paid vs going to cash-strapped college baseball programs crowded with extra year of eligibility players.

Could be a weird year of high school and college prices converging.

FYI the Sox certainly have a bottom 5 farm now with Crochet, Vaughn and Madrigal all graduated from prospect status.

If you want sustained success, this is a crucial draft. It should provide some window of how the time will approach talent acquisition with lower picks and less bonus money. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

FYI the Sox certainly have a bottom 5 farm now with Crochet, Vaughn and Madrigal all graduated from prospect status.

If you want sustained success, this is a crucial draft. It should provide some window of how the time will approach talent acquisition with lower picks and less bonus money. 

I agree with you but Sox also have a bunch of young talent with potential that haven't been able to get playing time that have been recently added to the system. Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley/Vera/Cespedes/Colas. Hopefully some of these guys hit the ground running. 

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Agreed but it appears the FO was able to deliver on this rebuild across multiple facets and it appears they were able to cash in on lotto tickets that turned into major league pieces in Heuer, Foster, Mendick, and Mercedes. There might still be a surprise with Sheets & Burger as well.

Now it will be wait and see with the young Tetrarchs of Kelley, Vera, Thompson, and Dalqueist as they make their way through the system and the two headed monster of Cespedes and Colas in the near future. 

Sad we no longer will have a top system but its not barren and there are some really interesting pieces within this system. The major league core is young and locked up, I'm really looking forward to seeing what direction they go with this draft.

Sox will always need a constant stream of young pitching and college pitchers (starters) can provide good value drafting where the Sox are now.   I would take the Ole Miss guy if available.  
If a  prep hitter, hopefully a guy with athleticism who can play in the middle of the field.  
Sox cumulative war this century in the 2nd round is 8.9.  The luminaries Ryan Sweeney and Jeremy Reed provided 9 WAR, and the cumulative WAR of the rest is negative.  Holding out hope for Sheets, who I thought improved in Birmingham in 2019 and has raked this year (albeit in rakeable Charlotte).  

On 5/17/2021 at 12:16 PM, raBBit said:

I agree with you but Sox also have a bunch of young talent with potential that haven't been able to get playing time that have been recently added to the system. Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley/Vera/Cespedes/Colas. Hopefully some of these guys hit the ground running. 

I agree with you on about the young arms, they’re definitely players to dream on and to be excited about but that’s not enough. Even when they had a top 5 farm during the rebuild, the system wasn’t very deep.

They need to start stockpiling young talent 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

beautiful, beautiful vid:

Ranked number 20 on BA's board.

Preseason Report: One of a handful of toolsy Northeast hitters in the 2021 class, Baez has some of the best power projection in the high school class thanks to a powerful swing and a well-developed, muscular 6-foot-3, 220-pound frame. There are scouts who believe Baez has a chance to grow into 70-grade raw power, but at the moment there are some swing-and-miss concerns, though scouts have noted he never truly looks out of control or lost at the plate. There’s a hand drop in his swing that could lead to inconsistencies against velocity up in the zone, but when the Vanderbilt commit does connect the ball explodes off his bat and carries a long way. Baez clocked a solid-average 60-yard time at East Coast Pro, but most scouts believe he will become a fringe-average runner in the future and is best suited to a corner outfield position. His power and arm strength—he’s been up to 97 mph on the mound—would be a major asset in center field if he could stick there, but he’s built more like a corner guy and has the toolset and power to profile nicely as a right fielder.

Pipeline mock. Doesn't have Leiter and Rocker being picked until 5 and 6. Would be underwhelmed with the Sox pick. Hoglund falling to the Dodgers sounds like a huge steal.

22. White Sox: Adrian Del Castillo, C, Miami
Once thought to be one of the top college bats in the class, he struggled early, but perhaps last weekend (4-for-11, 4 RBIs) is a sign of him heating up, though the lack of power and fringy defense makes it hard to place him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2021-may-19?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Edited by DirtySox

9 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Pipeline mock. Doesn't have Leiter and Rocker being picked until 5 and 6. Would be underwhelmed with the Sox pick. Hoglund falling to the Dodgers sounds like a huge steal.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2021-may-19?t=mlb-draft-coverage

A bat first catcher from Miami.  Sure why not. It worked out great the last time.  

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A bat first catcher from Miami.  Sure why not. It worked out great the last time.  

MLB Pipeline choosing the sox to take the "falling-college-player-pipeline-was-probably-too-high-on" is sort of a time-honored tradition at this point and not a big worry of mine.

Sox haven't been connected at all to the guy but if that's the board my 1.a would be Hogland and my 1b would be Taylor. People will lose their minds and call him rutherford but I don't care.