2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

JUst to put everyone's expectations into context:  Keith Law did a redraft of the 2011 draft and there were some great names:  Betts, Lindor, Cole -- but the 21, 22, 23 best players in the redraft were Joe Musgrove, Dylan Bundy, and Nick Ahmed.  If you get a major leaguer at 22, you should feel pretty good about it.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There is a ton of hype around Montgomery right now.  He's facing a DUDE on saturday.  It will be interesting as hell to see how much hype is around him after this one.  

Seems good that he homered.

This FanGraphs mock stops at pick 17, but mentions the White Sox on a few guys in the rumors section: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-mlb-mock-draft-one-month-to-go/

Arizona high school shortstop Wes Kath has suitors toward the back of the first round, including the White Sox and the Rays. The Rays had three scouts at Kath’s last game.

Beyond the Mariners rumors, the White Sox scouting director and a Yankees national cross checker were both at Michael McGreevy’s final start, though it wasn’t a great outing for the right-hander. The White Sox have been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Colson Montgomery late in the first round.

3 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Arizona high school shortstop Wes Kath has suitors toward the back of the first round, including the White Sox and the Rays. The Rays had three scouts at Kath’s last game.

If the Rays are in on him I like him.

• Like 1

Bring Back Mookie (and Jeff)

12:02

So what exactly do you guys mean when you say Jack Leiter is trying to "price himself down" to Boston?

Kevin Goldstein

12:02

He's throwing out, or going to throw out big bonus demands in order to scare the three teams picking ahead of Boston.

From KG's chat. I really hope he doesn't end up with the Red Sox. :(

Edited by DirtySox

Since McGreevy was also mentioned today in Fangraphs notes for the White Sox.

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.0

Preseason Report: McGreevy was a Freshman All-American in 2019 after he appeared in 29 games as a multi-inning reliever and posted a 1.94 ERA in 60.1 innings. In 2020, McGreevy transitioned to a starting role and was off to a hot start, posting a 0.99 ERA over 27.1 innings, with 26 strikeouts (8.6 K/9) and seven walks (2.3 BB/9). While McGreevy’s college performance has been impressive, what has piqued the interest of scouting departments is his uptick in stuff this fall. After throwing his fastball in the 88-92 mph range in 2020, McGreevy is now sitting 92-95 mph and has been up to 97 with an improved slider as well. If McGreevy manages to hold that sort of stuff over a full 2021 season with similar performance, he could shoot up into the 2-3 round range in the draft.

Edited by DirtySox

Has Kevin Kopps been discussed yet? I’d be a fan of taking him in the 3-5th rounds. He was pretty dang dynamic reliever for Arkansas. I know he’s not the prototypical MLB reliever but he can pitch.

im talking my book here, but I’m a huge fan of  Jose Torres from NC State. He’s going to a great MLB player imo.

18 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Has Kevin Kopps been discussed yet? I’d be a fan of taking him in the 3-5th rounds. He was pretty dang dynamic reliever for Arkansas. I know he’s not the prototypical MLB reliever but he can pitch.

im talking my book here, but I’m a huge fan of  Jose Torres from NC State. He’s going to a great MLB player imo.

Kopps is already 24, but the talent is there, could be a steal

https://www.mlb.com/news/5-mlb-draft-prospects-with-helium?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Sweeney mentioned in a helium piece.

Trey Sweeney, SS, Eastern Illinois
In a year in which college position players who have performed at the plate are at a premium, Sweeney has stood out by hitting .382/.522/.712 with 14 homers and nearly twice as many walks (46) as strikeouts (24). His bat is real -- he has outstanding hand-eye coordination and timing at the plate that allows him to make consistent hard contact -- and could make him the third first-round pick in Eastern Illinois history.

@Harold's Leg Lift You think he's a first rounder?

Edited by DirtySox

11 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

After watching him, absolutely. But I’m no scout! There’s tons of videos of him from this season. Take a look and let me know what you think. 

I've seen him.  He can really spin it but that's pretty much all he throws and he's not going to get away with throwing the same pitch to big league hitters.  When he throws his fastball it doesn't have good shape and he doesn't locate it very well.  He's old for a college guy but he's a tough kid who has been thru a lot and i'm sure some team will give him a chance as a money saver but generally if you draft a reliever you would like him to be a fast mover and I think he will have to spend time in the minors to work on refining his pitch mix and command.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/5-mlb-draft-prospects-with-helium?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Sweeney mentioned in a helium piece.

@Harold's Leg Lift You think he's a first rounder?

Yes. I think a team with multiple picks (Reds, Marlins, etc) will take him and shave a little off to pair him with a high upside high schooler. It's a really good strategy. 

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Brody Brecht is the real deal.  

BA does not have a scouting report on this kid. Seems he jumped from 401 to 219 in the rankings though. White Sox interest? Or just a guy you like? I'm always down to support an Iowa prospect.

Pipeline has the following though.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/brody-brecht-701679

Brecht reportedly hit 98 mph during a 16-strikeout effort as a junior in the Iowa state tournament late last July, but scouts weren't there to see it and he seemed to have his heart set on playing football at Iowa. A three-star wide receiver recruit who helped Ankeny High win the state 4-A football championship last fall, he didn't attend baseball showcases before his senior season and opted to run track rather than play in Iowa's unofficial spring league. He told scouts he only planned on playing for Ankeny once the official prep season started because he wanted to pursue a state title -- but once he took the mound in June he showed first-round stuff and athleticism and had teams scrambling to scout him. 

In his early starts this spring, Brecht operated at 92-94 mph throughout and topped out at 97. His slider was a plus pitch as well, ranging from 82-85 mph with late bite. He also employed a curveball that had some power in the upper 70s but lacked sharp break. 

As a lanky wide receiver with impressive arm strength, he naturally draws comparisons to Jeff Samardzija. Like Samardzija did at Notre Dame, Brecht relies on his natural athleticism to overcome his lack of polish on the mound. He doesn't throw a changeup, his delivery is raw and his command is unrefined. He's only scratching the surface of his potential and it's exciting to think of what he might become if he devoted himself to baseball, but scouts still think it will be almost impossible to divert him from playing football for the Hawkeyes. 

Also mentioned in a helium piece.

Brody Brecht, RHP, Ankeny (Iowa) HS
Brecht skipped the high school showcase circuit and opted to run track rather than play in Iowa’s unofficial spring league, reinforcing the notion that he was dead set on playing wide receiver at Iowa in the fall. Then he started dealing mid-90s fastballs and plus sliders when Ankeny’s season began in late May, earning Jeff Samardzija comparisons and drawing scouts in droves.

Edited by DirtySox

6 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA does not have a scouting report on this kid. Seems he jumped from 401 to 219 in the rankings though. White Sox interest? Or just a guy you like? I'm always down to support an Iowa prospect.

I'm sure they're interested and yes he's a guy I like. Big, strong and athletic with tons of remaining projection.  Sign me up.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-16-2021?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Pipeline mock.

22. White Sox: Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East HS (East Amherst, N.Y.)
High school hitters continue to get most of the buzz here, though they could look at Painter or Petty if they wanted a high school arm. Florida State catcher Matheu Nelson fits the mold of college bats that are starting to get more first-round attention.

Also, Colson Montgomery goes to the Cubs the pick before. 🤣