2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Option for a super utility type player in rounds 3-5ish?

14. Tyler McDonough, 2B/OF, North Carolina State (BA Rank: 128)
Grade: R-So. • Ht: 5-10 • Wt: 180 • B-T: R-R • Commitment/Drafted: Never Drafted

.341 | .428 | .641 | 223 AB | 57 R | 76 H | 15 HR | 44 RBI | 33 BB | 46 K | 13 SB

McDonough rated as the No. 283 player in the 2020 class but went undrafted and headed back to North Carolina State for his third season, where for the third time he hit over .300 and continued to add more in-game power to his game. Listed at 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, McDonough doesn’t jump out at you with loud tools, but he’s become a player who scouts appreciate the more they watch him. He does everything on the field at a high level and is the sort of skilled gamer who area scouts are drawn to. McDonough controls the zone well, doesn’t swing and miss much and takes his share of walks, and this season he hit a career-high 15 homers. Scouts have said those homers have come with a longer swing and more aggressive hacks, and his 17% strikeout rate was the highest of his career, which shows a slight shift in his approach. McDonough has spread his homers all over the field and his exit velocities are impressive for a player of his size, so perhaps solid power will be part of his game at the next level as well. McDonough has spent most of his time in center field for the Wolfpack, but he has the defensive versatility to play all over the place, including second base, third base and perhaps even shortstop in a pinch. He’s a better runner underway than he is out of the box and went 30-for-36 (83%) over his career in stolen base attempts. McDonough has plenty of promising statistical indicators and he could go off the board in the second-to-fourth-round range.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:18 AM, NCsoxfan said:

Option for a super utility type player in rounds 3-5ish?

14. Tyler McDonough, 2B/OF, North Carolina State (BA Rank: 128)
Grade: R-So. • Ht: 5-10 • Wt: 180 • B-T: R-R • Commitment/Drafted: Never Drafted

.341 | .428 | .641 | 223 AB | 57 R | 76 H | 15 HR | 44 RBI | 33 BB | 46 K | 13 SB

McDonough rated as the No. 283 player in the 2020 class but went undrafted and headed back to North Carolina State for his third season, where for the third time he hit over .300 and continued to add more in-game power to his game. Listed at 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, McDonough doesn’t jump out at you with loud tools, but he’s become a player who scouts appreciate the more they watch him. He does everything on the field at a high level and is the sort of skilled gamer who area scouts are drawn to. McDonough controls the zone well, doesn’t swing and miss much and takes his share of walks, and this season he hit a career-high 15 homers. Scouts have said those homers have come with a longer swing and more aggressive hacks, and his 17% strikeout rate was the highest of his career, which shows a slight shift in his approach. McDonough has spread his homers all over the field and his exit velocities are impressive for a player of his size, so perhaps solid power will be part of his game at the next level as well. McDonough has spent most of his time in center field for the Wolfpack, but he has the defensive versatility to play all over the place, including second base, third base and perhaps even shortstop in a pinch. He’s a better runner underway than he is out of the box and went 30-for-36 (83%) over his career in stolen base attempts. McDonough has plenty of promising statistical indicators and he could go off the board in the second-to-fourth-round range.

Good showing for him today in the CWS.

I'm curious to see how teams handle strategy in his draft. The White Sox can go to like $6.9 million if they choose (which they should). They have $6,618,600 for the first 10 rounds. I'm guessing that most teams will try to take money savers in rounds 4-10. The Sox will try to underslot a prep hitter at 22 IMO. Then they'll have $2 million to use at #57 and they could go over $1 million for their third pick as well. They should leave money in the pool so that they can get solid players in rounds 11-20. 11-20 is $125K without counting against the pool. There's no reason to take a college guy in the 7th round and pay him $150K. That entire $150K would count against the bonus pool. If they do it in rounds 11-20, only $25K would count against the pool. It's going to be interesting. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'll be interested to see how many players teams actually sign.  I've been told teams with deep farm systems will only be able to sign 12-15 because if they sign more they would have to release players. The Sox won't have that problem so I would expect them to be very aggressive with picks 10-20.  

Lots of teams will be drafting seniors in like rounds 4-10 for sure. There are lots of money savers this year. 

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holy crap is this good. Projection, super athletic, clean ,easy, angle/deception, spin, feel.  That's what they look like.  Hurd would be an absolute steal if he makes it to the  2nd round.   

I wonder how much teams now take "spin" with an asterics since they don't know what substances (now banned) players are using.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wonder how much teams now take "spin" with an asterics since they don't know what substances (now banned) players are using.

At the amatuer level they should always take spin rates with an asterics. When I typed spin I was talking about his ability to throw a breaking ball which he clearly has.  I don't care about his spin rates. 

New Pipeline mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-23-2021?t=mlb-draft-coverage

22. White Sox: Colson Montgomery, 3B, Southridge HS (Huntingburg, Ind.)
The White Sox are targeting several high school bats, including Montgomery, Mack, Arizona third baseman Wes Kath, California shortstop Max Muncy and Louisiana second baseman Peyton Stovall.

Usual suspects, but also a mention of Max Muncy for the first time. Montgomery is mentioned as a possibility with a bunch of teams prior to the White Sox pick.

Maxwell Muncy

Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 170 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Arkansas
Age At Draft: 18.7

BA Grade: 55 | Risk: Extreme
Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 55 | Field: 50 | Arm: 55

Thousand Oaks (Calif.) High has had a number of major leaguers come out of its program, including all-stars Kurt Stillwell and Jack Wilson. Wilson, the former Pirates shortstop, is now head coach at the school and helped Muncy grow into a top draft prospect. Muncy, who is not related to the Dodgers star of the same name, is a high-energy player with an athletic, strong body. He shows above-average hitting ability with a knack for driving the ball the other way and has the strong hands and wrists to project 20-plus home run potential. He studies opposing pitchers, has a mature approach and is rarely overmatched. Muncy tinkered with his stance and swing early this season and struggled, getting disconnected between his upper and lower halves and showing a long swing that was late to velocity, but he returned to his previous setup and swing at the end of the year and re-established himself as one of the top prep hitters in Southern California. He finished the regular season batting .452 with nine home runs while mostly facing good high school competition. Defensively, Muncy is an above-average runner with the instincts and footwork for shortstop, although he likely will have to move to third base if he gets bigger. He has the short-area quickness and above-average arm strength for the hot corner and enough athleticism to potentially play second base. Muncy’s hitting ability, athleticism and potential defensive versatility have him in top-two rounds consideration. He is committed to Arkansas.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Any chance the White Sox fool us all and try to get a discount on a TJS pitcher like Hoglund to get another top arm into the system?

I think the consensus is that you won't be able to get Hoglund at a discount. He's seeking money in line with where he would be selected before his injury. I would love for him to be selected though. Getting a top 10 talent (albeit with some risk) at 22 would be amazing.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Any chance the White Sox fool us all and try to get a discount on a TJS pitcher like Hoglund to get another top arm into the system?

I don't think it'd be a discount. Slot is like $3.2 million at 22 and I think Hoglund still tops that. 

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Interesting this year ST doesn't really have a favorite where most years there has been a guy. See a lot of different preferences.

I don’t even think there is consensus on a profile though prep infielder probably wins a poll.

Just now, bmags said:

I don’t even think there is consensus on a profile though prep infielder probably wins a poll.

Yeah I would agree. Excited to see how it plays out. I do expect the Sox to go really top heavy again with the way they allocate spending so hopefully someone falls.

• Thanks 1