2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I like Law's mention of Pacheco. I dislike Law's mention of Petty.

Also has Trey Sweeney going to Minny at 26.

If they go with a HS position player Pacheco is my guy.  I think he's the best all around player with the highest ceiling and a real chance to get close to that ceiling.  I like Kath he's got a lot of upside and Baez a little but damn he has a lot of swing and miss.  I think Montgomery is a 2nd round guy.  I'm out on Stovall.  Will Taylor is super interesting but I would have to be 100% sure about his desire to play baseball.

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they go with a HS position player Pacheco is my guy.  I think he's the best all around player with the highest ceiling and a real chance to get close to that ceiling.  I like Kath he's got a lot of upside and Baez a little but damn he has a lot of swing and miss.  I think Montgomery is a 2nd round guy.  I'm out on Stovall.  Will Taylor is super interesting but I would have to be 100% sure about his desire to play baseball.

I think they could get Pacheco to 57 personally 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I don’t even think there is consensus on a profile though prep infielder probably wins a poll.

I was really hoping the Sox would pick Ed Howard last year, so I have no problem with them going that route, and it would be kinda cool to have a big time Hoosier in the system to root for.

New BA Mock today.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Colson Montgomery

Southridge HS, Huntingburg, Ind.SS

Notes:

The White Sox have been linked to plenty of power-oriented prep bats, including Montgomery, James Wood, Peyton Stovall and Wes Kath. Montgomery seems to be one of the hottest names in recent weeks with plenty of landing spots, but both Chicago teams are mentioned most frequently with him.

Edited by DirtySox

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was really hoping the Sox would pick Ed Howard last year, so I have no problem with them going that route, and it would be kinda cool to have a big time Hoosier in the system to root for.

I just looked up Ed Howard's stats for the heck of it.  He's struggling after 18 games with Low A Myrtle Beach.

Also worth noting from BA's mock today.

Players who could easily be fixtures in the first round but didn’t find a home in this mock draft include Mississippi righthander Gunnar Hoglund, Florida outfielder Jud Fabian, New Jersey high school flamethrower Chase Petty and prep outfielders Jay Allen (Florida) and Joshua Baez (Massachusetts).

Ht: 6-6 | Wt: 255 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Rays '17 (30)
Age At Draft: 22.0
RapScore: 49

BA Grade: 55 | Risk: Extreme
Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50

Going back to his prep days at Cape Fear High in Fayetteville, N.C., Williams has had plenty of velocity. He was in the mid 90s with a projectable frame at the time and scouts didn’t think it would be too long before he was touching 100 mph. They weren’t wrong, and now Williams sits with one of the hardest fastballs in the draft class. He sits 94-96 with the pitch and has been up to 100-101 mph. Despite that velocity, Williams struggled during his first three seasons—with injuries, consistency and control. As a draft-eligible member of the 2020 class, Williams ranked No. 81 in the class on the upside of his pure stuff despite throwing just three innings after being limited with a finger injury. This spring, he’s put everything together for the first time and excelled in a mostly starting role, pitching to a 1.46 ERA through his first 10 starts and 68 innings, with 108 strikeouts (14.3 K/9) and 18 walks (2.4 BB/9)—good for the lowest walk rate of his career. He improved his secondaries over the offseason and is more consistent with his breaking balls. An upper-70s curveball with 11-5 shape has been his best swing-and-miss pitch this spring, and he also throws a mid-80s slider with short, two-plane bite that is solid when he gets on top of it and keeps it down. Williams also throws a firm, upper-80s changeup that has some dive and gets whiffs when it’s located down, but he misses to his arm side with the pitch. Williams could get drafted among the top-two rounds with his breakout season and loud pitch-mix.

Edited by DirtySox

Here's the deal with Montgomery.  If Indiana doesn't fire their basketball coach he's not signing to play baseball.  He's going to Indiana to be a basketball player and part time baseball player. 

There's a very important question teams ask about a possibe draft picks desire to play baseball: A) Does he like it B) Does he love it C) Does he live it.

I would have to answer Montgomery likes it and that's a huge red flag for a guy I'm about to give $3M. I think it will be a blessing if someone takes him before the Sox.  The kid loves basketball.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Here's the deal with Montgomery.  If Indiana doesn't fire their basketball coach he's not signing to play baseball.  He's going to Indiana to be a basketball player and part time baseball player. 

There's a very important question teams ask about a possibe draft picks desire to play baseball: A) Does he like it B) Does he love it C) Does he live it.

I would have to answer Montgomery likes it and that's a huge red flag for a guy I'm about to give $3M. I think it will be a blessing if someone takes him before the Sox.  The kid loves basketball.  

Is he legimitely good at basketball in a way that could cause a kyler murray situation? 

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Is he legimitely good at basketball in a way that could cause a kyler murray situation? 

He's good but he's not that good.  This is more about when he struggles in professional baseball (and he will struggle) will he start to question his decision and when a guy starts to question himself he's dead in the water.  

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

And he would have never played for IU. At best he would have been a walk-on, so he can love basketball all he wants but he’ll never get paid $3M to play it.