2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Mlb is quite keen on eliminating edges by analytics, scouting and front offices. Analytics used to be an edge but now that everyone uses it owners are viewing it as a cost drag that gives nobody an edge. 

That is why the want an international draft (less effort to scout and convince players) and they are also against pick trading because that could give smart front offices an edge. 

Essentially the owners want to create a more level playing field and not an analytics bidding war because when anyone does it they see it mostly as a cost factor without production. 

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Mlb is quite keen on eliminating edges by analytics, scouting and front offices. Analytics used to be an edge but now that everyone uses it owners are viewing it as a cost drag that gives nobody an edge. 

That is why the want an international draft (less effort to scout and convince players) and they are also against pick trading because that could give smart front offices an edge. 

Essentially the owners want to create a more level playing field and not an analytics bidding war because when anyone does it they see it mostly as a cost factor without production. 

Which is why Tampa Bay hasn’t made the playoffs lately.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Which is why Tampa Bay hasn’t made the playoffs lately.

That's why the other teams want an international draft:). If Tampa loses the ability to sign and scout international guys at age 14 like wander Franco it will be harder for them to maintain their edge. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Almost wish we had another high pick (kidding)

The Vandy kids are filthy

Rocker, Leiter, and Hill from LSU are my top 3 prospects

Dont sleep on Little in a few years as well.  Their mid week starter is only 17, he graduated early to play this spring.  

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1372191911474249734?s=20

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

20 rounds.  There's talk they may bring back a 5 round draft and follow which would be really cool if they do it right but I highly doubt they will do it right. 

When will that be set in stone? I think I prefer a longer draft, more opportunities

Seems to me that the 20's will be loaded with HS talent

All my favorite prospects (Rocker, Leiter, Hill, Henry Davis who I would have loved for CWS) seem to be going Top 10, even Hoglung should be gone before 22

Leaning towards Oregon State RHP Kevin Abel in the first 5 rounds, he's shooting up the rankings, but unsure how high

Could be a HS guy for us early, Wake Forest RHP Ryan Cusick could be there too

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

Reilly too

Spencer Jones (top LHP in class of 2019 that made it to college) and Michael Doolin are out the year with TJ too. Its pretty ridiculous - actually. Hugh fisher still increasing pitch load, but he will be big factor at end of the year (and a top 3-4 round pick). Oh and next few recruiting classes are equally ridiculous