UDFA Tracker - Signing Period has begun

bmags

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Sadly I don’t see the Sox getting that many free agents in this set up. Most likely guys will either go to rebuilding teams where they have a better chance of moving through the system or the big name teams like the Yankees or Red Sox.

If I’m a marginal guy do I really want to go to yankees who routinely over sign and have 40 man crunches?

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as you think. While you could feasibly be blocked at the MLb in Sox system, they are unlikely to be adding tons of quality prospects every year now, so you may have a longer period to hone your craft in minors before getting cut.

And showing off to clubs is the most important part, you can’t look at the MLb roster for a decision.

I have already seen some teams have come out and announced they will only sign 5 - 10 players max. I believe the Marlins were one. On the opposite end of the spectrum the Royals are going shopping.  Signing as many as they can. I gotta think the Sox are in that category too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

If I’m a marginal guy do I really want to go to yankees who routinely over sign and have 40 man crunches?

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as you think. While you could feasibly be blocked at the MLb in Sox system, they are unlikely to be adding tons of quality prospects every year now, so you may have a longer period to hone your craft in minors before getting cut.

And showing off to clubs is the most important part, you can’t look at the MLb roster for a decision.

Sox haven’t even signed a single guy yet, while some other teams already have 4 or 5 signings. It’s not looking good.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree.  If they have any talent at all, go to school and get back into the draft in a few years. 

Some of these guys don't want to go to school. If they can afford it, get yourself in an organization now. The team can pay for your college later. It makes sense for certain guys. School isn't for everyone. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Sox haven’t even signed a single guy yet, while some other teams already have 4 or 5 signings. It’s not looking good.

None of the ALC teams have a guy yet. And the BA500 guys who have gone are in the 400-500.

Not really missing that much.

36 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Some of these guys don't want to go to school. If they can afford it, get yourself in an organization now. The team can pay for your college later. It makes sense for certain guys. School isn't for everyone. 

Would agree in a normal year, but no one's getting any action until next Spring anyways

I don't think the Sox need to sign a ton of guys. They should prioritize hard-throwing college relievers that want to sign and try and snag some kids from Puerto Rico. Without Great Falls, they really don't have a need for any position players. They have a ton of young prospects that already won't have regular playing time in 2021. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Would agree in a normal year, but no one's getting any action until next Spring anyways

Game action sure. These rookie ball guys will be at Camelback most likely though. There's no way they'll just put guys on ice for a year. If you have a well off family and hate school, it could absolutely make more sense to choose your organization now instead of waiting 3 years and hoping to get drafted while playing for free at a university. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Then they should go to a JC.  If they're good enough to sign with a pro organization they are obviously good enough to get a full scholarship from a D1 or D2 JC.  Then they can figure out where to go from there rather then selling themselves off for cheap.  They're going to report, take their physical and get sent home.  They have a much better chance of having a fall and spring season in college than they do in pro ball.  

But there's a bigger reason why they shouldn't sign.  The team they are signing with now has no commitment in them.  MLB is going to cap how many minor leaguers an organization can have and when cutting time comes for the new draft picks and international signees guess who's at the top of the chopping block?  The guys they didn't use a draft pick on and only have a $20k invested.  The organization has no skin in the game.  These HS guys signing as UFA are getting horrible advice and MLB and their agents should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1