2020 College Football thread

Chris Doyle, the $800k a year strength and conditioning coach at Iowa is out after a former player expose on Twitter showed him to be racially insensitive at the very least. If any of it is true, and I suspect at least most, if not all, was, he got what he deserved. 

Hopefully the program can learn and become stronger. There were a couple complaints about Brian Ferentz, the coach’s son, and seemingly heir apparent, but it looks like he won’t be sent packing, although when his dad hangs them up, Brian now might not get the job.

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chris Doyle, the $800k a year strength and conditioning coach at Iowa is out after a former player expose on Twitter showed him to be racially insensitive at the very least. If any of it is true, and I suspect at least most, if not all, was, he got what he deserved. 

Hopefully the program can learn and become stronger. There were a couple complaints about Brian Ferentz, the coach’s son, and seemingly heir apparent, but it looks like he won’t be sent packing, although when his dad hangs them up, Brian now might not get the job.

Hopefully as everything progresses people learn to change their behavior.  I'm not convinced you can change what they truly believe, but if enough people face these types of consequences maybe they'll be afraid for their jobs and change their behavior. 

To me, the biggest statement those players could make is to not play for those coaches anymore.  If the university refuses to make a change, then you need to make the change and unfortunately that is another price they have to pay to make a statement.  But continuing to play for those coaches and letting them profit off of you is unacceptable in my opinion.

1/4 of the University of Texas football team tested positive within the first week of return to workouts. Another 20% of the team is now in isolation for 2 weeks after having been in contact with positive cases. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29329177/texas-says-13-football-players-test-positive-coronavirus?linkId=91182183

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1/4 of the University of Texas football team tested positive within the first week of return to workouts. Another 20% of the team is now in isolation for 2 weeks after having been in contact with positive cases. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29329177/texas-says-13-football-players-test-positive-coronavirus?linkId=91182183

Which is why I don't see any league finishing a season. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They can because they don't need the revenue or the enrollment.  It is easy for them to do. 

Actually they are having revenue issues. There are very few sports that actually make a profit. Brown had actually terminated their track and field program due to revenue issues. However, once the BLM protested because it would severely decrease their aid to under represented groups, it was reinstated. The decreased revenue and refunds due to the pandemic is hitting all schools. Dartmouth has eliminated 5 sports. Stanford while not an Ivy League school has eliminated 11 varsity sports.

As a group there only 5 sports which generate a profit across DI schools: all men's sports, basketball, baseball, Lacrosse, Hockey and Wrestling. Certain schools may generate profits from sports such as football but as a whole sports do not generate much profit.

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They can because they don't need the revenue or the enrollment.  It is easy for them to do. 

Edited by ptatc

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 5:25 PM, ptatc said:

Actually they are having revenue issues. There are very few sports that actually make a profit. Brown had actually terminated their track and field program due to revenue issues. However, once the BLM protested because it would severely decrease their aid to under represented groups, it was reinstated. The decreased revenue and refunds due to the pandemic is hitting all schools. Dartmouth has eliminated 5 sports. Stanford while not an Ivy League school has eliminated 11 varsity sports.

As a group there only 5 sports which generate a profit across DI schools: all men's sports, basketball, baseball, Lacrosse, Hockey and Wrestling. Certain schools may generate profits from sports such as football but as a whole sports do not generate much profit.

My point was more about enrollment.  Smaller schools use sports to attract students.  I do not believe the Ivy League needs this.  Ivy league schools can drop sports enrollment will not move at all.  I think certain schools are dropping sports under the guise of COVID because it is easier. 

Announcement is expected tomorrow. No B1G football this year. 12/14 University Presidents in the conference voted to cancel the season according to reports

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/dan-patrick-reports-b1g-preparing-to-cancel-football-season-only-two-schools-voted-in-favor-of-playing/

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Announcement is expected tomorrow. No B1G football this year. 12/14 University Presidents in the conference voted to cancel the season according to reports

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/dan-patrick-reports-b1g-preparing-to-cancel-football-season-only-two-schools-voted-in-favor-of-playing/

I think it's there only choice. Jim Harbaugh can cry how Michigan has zero positives, other than the fact that they are probably due one or two, if they play another school, the amount of faith you put on that other school for what could be a life or death situation, and even if college age people tend not to die, other complications like the heart thing that is out there now, to risk that for a football game, isn't too bright. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it's there only choice. Jim Harbaugh can cry how Michigan has zero positives, other than the fact that they are probably due one or two, if they play another school, the amount of faith you put on that other school for what could be a life or death situation, and even if college age people tend not to die, other complications like the heart thing that is out there now, to risk that for a football game, isn't too bright. 

If the nation as a whole was smart about this we could genuinely do it in the spring. But alas...

Nebraska and Iowa want to play. The SEC wants to play. I truly think the Big 12 wants to play if their main medical consultants give the OK (I know how corrupt sports are and some will think this naive, but I think they still want to play if they got the OK from their medical people; and I think their medical people are the ones saying to play; or at least to this point have not ruled it out at all). The question is do any other people want to play? One more conference would allow for some football between the Big 12 and SEC teams plus Nebraska and Iowa.

Frost wants to play! I will concede as of today it sure looks like no spectator sports with fans at least until start of college basketball season in January (assuming no first semester play). Before that, only NFL to have fans?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29634231/scott-frost-says-nebraska-prepared-look-all-options-including-playing-big-ten

Edited by greg775