2020 College Football thread

18 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

"Every game matters"

But let Cincinnati lose by 3 to Georgia while ND once again gets curbstomped by an SEC team in a big game

Why even sell that shit to the kids? You have to know if you're in the Mountain West or Athletic or C-USA that you have 0 chance to get into the playoff

I guess Clemson didn’t belong either.

3 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I guess Clemson didn’t belong either.

Yeah that's exactly what I said

Of course Clemson belonged. Prior to Friday they lost one game in overtime on the road without the best QB prospect in years. 

My point is- don't say "every game matters" if teams that not only win their conference but go undefeated don't get the chance. I'd like to see it expanded to 8 teams with the 1 & 2 getting the bye and then 3 vs 8, 4 vs 7 and 5 vs 6.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah that's exactly what I said

Of course Clemson belonged. Prior to Friday they lost one game in overtime on the road without the best QB prospect in years. 

My point is- don't say "every game matters" if teams that not only win their conference but go undefeated don't get the chance. I'd like to see it expanded to 8 teams with the 1 & 2 getting the bye and then 3 vs 8, 4 vs 7 and 5 vs 6.

We're seeing the #4 team regularly getting destroyed in the playoff, not a compelling case to allow teams 5-8 in.

What I'd like to see the AAC and MWC do is schedule 11 games instead of 12, play their championship games a week early, and have a full conference crossover for the 12th game, with the conference champions matching up against each other. Would boost the schedule strength of the winner of that game.

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

We're seeing the #4 team regularly getting destroyed in the playoff, not a compelling case to allow teams 5-8 in.

What I'd like to see the AAC and MWC do is schedule 11 games instead of 12, play their championship games a week early, and have a full conference crossover for the 12th game, with the conference champions matching up against each other. Would boost the schedule strength of the winner of that game.

Maybe part of the reason why is that teams 5-8 can't recruit at the same level as Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State because 5 star prospects know that they have to go there to make the college playoff?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe part of the reason why is that teams 5-8 can't recruit at the same level as Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State because 5 star prospects know that they have to go there to make the college playoff?

Including Clemson in there is rich

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

5-star recruits over the past 10 recruiting classes:

Alabama 44

Georgia 34

Ohio State 26

Clemson 20

Southern Cal 19

Florida State 19

LSU 19

Texas A&M 14

===

Notre Dame 5

So yeah, recruiting is a lot of it for those 3 teams, but Georgia, Florida St and LSU have each managed only 1 playoff appearance since the current format started, and Southern Cal and Texas A&M have managed none. If making the playoff was the #1 priority of recruits, none of the 5-stars would go to any SEC school other than Alabama.

Notre Dame clearly isn't in the same league in talent, but they occasionally make the playoff mostly because they manage to avoid losing to shit teams, which has plagued pretty much the entire Big 12 and PAC-12, and in most years Ohio State, and as much as we want to see the 4 most talented teams battle it out, regular season performance needs to count for something or otherwise just take the Top 4 in the preseason poll.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This really isn't much better than the old voting system. 

Had the old system had a playoff attached yeah. Top three usually has a lot of controversy. Usually aren’t four great teams, 

I think question isn’t notre dame as much as cincy. I think it’s fair and issue is those programs usually build up to one great year then reload. But in their great years there are always side eyes because of their schedule.

I don’t really know. Been these teams every few years.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

?

Clemson has been one of the 3-4 best recruiters as a school over the last 5 years

Yeah, but they undercut the argument. No school can become Alabama or Ohio State and there are several more schools like it. They have the history, donor base, fanbase, athletic department, state support, etc. that allow them to get the best coaches and ensure the carousel never ends. It never ends even when they have make a wrong move.

But Clemson is in a major conference, and happened to find one of the best college coaches in the country to build a power house. They aren't Cincinnati, they are a good enough program and have enough support to pay him so cost isn't the problem. But if Dabo leaves, it's very likely "clemsoning" returns.

If you are a school in a major conference and start piling up 10 win seasons multiple years in a row, you will get the benefit of the doubt in a 4-team playoff over the upstarts like a Cincinnati or coastal carolina. So it's not a blue blood problem, it's a small conference problem. 

Like I root for Missouri. In bizarro world where Mizzou starts putting together 10-win seasons and has an 12-1 year with a conference championship game win, do I think a 10-2 Ohio State would jump Missouri? No. Would a 11-0 Cincinnati? Probably Not! Not unless it had some really great wins, and that's complete luck of the draw in schedulemaking to be in a smaller conference where you had to schedule years out.

It's a question of whether this playoff should specifically elevate those conferences and programs when they have great years. I don't know the answer. UCF probably would have made it in most years. Boise State would have been a lot more fun than a lot of crappy bcs matchups 10 years ago.

Man, seems like the bottom tier NFL teams would be giving up double digit points to Alabama the way they're steamrolling over Ohio State right now...

Clemson had their run with Trevor Lawrence and Watson prior to that, but the only thing that can stop this juggernaut is Saban retiring and/or running for political office like Tuberville.

I guess later on experts will argue that the ONLY way OSU could have stayed in this was with a healthy Trey Sermon, but there's just such a falloff now from Alabama and the next tier in college football.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Last year LSU vs this year Alabama would be incredible. Jones might be the more accurate QB I’ve ever seen.

Is he moving up enough now on draft boards to be in the Top 10 or still in the middle or bottom of the 1st?

A month or two ago, most mock drafts had him at the 25-40 range.

The Bears have a shot at him still?    

J.Fields is definitely going to take a hit tonight...who else besides the BYU QB (Wilson?) and that kid from the Dakotas (Lance something) figures into the QB draft discussion at this point?

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Is he moving up enough now on draft boards to be in the Top 10 or still in the middle or bottom of the 1st?

A month or two ago, most mock drafts had him at the 25-40 range.

The Bears have a shot at him still?    

J.Fields is definitely going to take a hit tonight...who else besides the BYU QB (Wilson?) and that kid from the Dakotas (Lance something) figures into the QB draft discussion at this point?

I assume Bears probably see at least 1 of these QB's there @ 20 and probably still at least one or two there when they pick in 2nd round (or at least they could move up without paying an arm and a leg to get one in 2nd round):

Lawrence - No Shot

Fields - No Shot 

Wilson - No Shot 

Lance - Maybe @ 20; Unlikely past that...probably unlikely he is there at 20 (but he might be there at 15 or 16 where maybe you can go get him - if you really like him; got to think the Wentz stuff and lack of film this year hurts his stock

Jones - Maybe @ 20 or in Round 2 - Tua stinking it up and throwing to historically amazing talent has to cast at least some doubts

Trask - Highly likely @ 20; potential in round 2; How much do teams ignore that bowl performance over the body of work. I happen to think Trask has a lot of skills that translate to NFL QB today. Ability to step up in the pocket and feel pressure, track through his progressions, and throw a hella accurate ball.  Arm strength not huge - but I think arm strength can be overrated (and this is coming with someone who loves those toolsy QB's).  

Jamie Newman (George; Former Wake Forest transfer) is another interesting name to watch (probably more as a 3rd round type of guy).  

Kellen Mond is another guy - still pretty raw, but good athleticism and the type of person a team like the Bears should invest a draft pick in; maybe they hit, but if they don't, still good potential to be a very cost effective back-up and maybe the type of asset you can also flip (if you find a franchise guy another way).  

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Forget QB.  The Bears need an offensive line.  They really need to rebuild that before they worry about a franchise QB.

And this is a good oline draft - the type where you can find 2 good starters if you do it right. I tend to agree - build through the trenches (oline and dline) and that will make any qb you draft or db you draft for that part far more likely to be successful. 

On Tue Jan 12 2021 at 1:08 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I assume Bears probably see at least 1 of these QB's there @ 20 and probably still at least one or two there when they pick in 2nd round (or at least they could move up without paying an arm and a leg to get one in 2nd round):

Lawrence - No Shot

Fields - No Shot 

Wilson - No Shot 

Lance - Maybe @ 20; Unlikely past that...probably unlikely he is there at 20 (but he might be there at 15 or 16 where maybe you can go get him - if you really like him; got to think the Wentz stuff and lack of film this year hurts his stock

Jones - Maybe @ 20 or in Round 2 - Tua stinking it up and throwing to historically amazing talent has to cast at least some doubts

Trask - Highly likely @ 20; potential in round 2; How much do teams ignore that bowl performance over the body of work. I happen to think Trask has a lot of skills that translate to NFL QB today. Ability to step up in the pocket and feel pressure, track through his progressions, and throw a hella accurate ball.  Arm strength not huge - but I think arm strength can be overrated (and this is coming with someone who loves those toolsy QB's).  

Jamie Newman (George; Former Wake Forest transfer) is another interesting name to watch (probably more as a 3rd round type of guy).  

Kellen Mond is another guy - still pretty raw, but good athleticism and the type of person a team like the Bears should invest a draft pick in; maybe they hit, but if they don't, still good potential to be a very cost effective back-up and maybe the type of asset you can also flip (if you find a franchise guy another way).  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-mac-jones-despite-gaudy-statistics-at-alabama-lacks-in-key-areas-as-a-prospect/

If it's mostly scheme, then someone in the NFL needs to hire Lincoln Riley with Mayfield, Murray and Jalen Hurts all making their presence felt over three consecutive draft classes. 

Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...