FBI Investigation into MLB in Latin America

Y2Jimmy0

This article is great for anyone interested in the shenanigans that take place in Latin America: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/06/16/mlb-international-free-agents-deals-underage-prospects/5334172002/

MLB and the MLBPA have allowed this exploitation to happen for years. Not allowing the trading of money and pushing the period back 6 months, doesn't make this any easier for many prospects and families. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a weird way, I really hope this is why we haven't had the successes in Latin America that others have had.  Hopefully we have been doing it right, while others are not.  Maybe the Wilder lesson kept us out of this mess.

It's part of it. Reinsdorf is very much opposed to signing kids at 13-14. Everyone else is doing it though. It's gross but they're behind because of it. He doesn't spend at the top of the market on free agents but he also doesn't spend on 16-year-olds. It's pretty bad business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's part of it. Reinsdorf is very much opposed to signing kids at 13-14. Everyone else is doing it though. It's gross but they're behind because of it. He doesn't spend at the top of the market on free agents but he also doesn't spend on 16-year-olds. It's pretty bad business. 

I am OK with the Sox not being a part of it, even if it means missing out on top talent.  Exploitation of families and kids isn't worth a few more baseball wins.  That article is horrifying what is being done to the families involved here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am OK with the Sox not being a part of it, even if it means missing out on top talent.  Exploitation of families and kids isn't worth a few more baseball wins.  That article is horrifying what is being done to the families involved here.

Agreed. This supersedes baseball games. The MLB and the union continue to drag the sport down.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For sure. You'll never land the Wander Franco's of the world with the strategy the Sox use though. They landed Fernando Tatis so it can happen, but they limit their ability to land talent. I'm thinking there will be an international draft in 2022. While that should help the White Sox, it also hurts a tad because Fernando Tatis' younger brother is the best of the bunch, and White Sox are favorites for him. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

For sure. You'll never land the Wander Franco's of the world with the strategy the Sox use though. They landed Fernando Tatis so it can happen, but they limit their ability to land talent. I'm thinking there will be an international draft in 2022. While that should help the White Sox, it also hurts a tad because Fernando Tatis' younger brother is the best of the bunch, and White Sox are favorites for him. 

There is another one after Eli?  The Sox signed one a year or two ago, right/

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Knowing this market-place there is a decent chance the Eli signing was  down payment on the next brother.

Absolutely. Marco Paddy is tight with Fernando Tatis Sr. If there's an international draft though, might not matter. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I just love everything the owners have done to increase interest in baseball and save the sport the past few years

• Add a wild card spot
  • Cut 42 minor league teams
  • Shorten the draft
  • Let the Astros off with a slap on the wrist because public judgement will be their true punishment
  • Push back J2 signings
  • Call the World Series trophy a piece of metal
  • Get Congress to pass the "Save America's Pastime Act" to allow them to continue to pay minor leaguers below minimum wage
  • Make hand over fist money while crying poor
  • Have roughly half the league not even try to compete, but instead follow the Astros/Cubs model and tank hard
  • Try to renege on a previously agreed upon deal, thus preventing baseball from being the first sport back while America was crying out for any sense of normalcy and entertainment
  • Pace of play
  • Hi8is addition: $50 parking
  • Bmags addition: Pissing off Trout as he swims upstream, avoids all the flies, and ricochets through the record books across the universe
  • Addition after James' thread: FBI investigation into their Latin American operations

Did I miss anything?

Decided this should go on the list

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Decided this should go on the list

its depressing.  I have been a baseball fan all of my life.  The mid 90s strike and cancellation was as close as I have ever come to walking away from the sport.  I didn't go to a single game for a 3 year period during that time frame.

If we cancel baseball due to dollar concerns while the rest of the sports world plays, this would be a lower time for me than 1994.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

its depressing.  I have been a baseball fan all of my life.  The mid 90s strike and cancellation was as close as I have ever come to walking away from the sport.  I didn't go to a single game for a 3 year period during that time frame.

If we cancel baseball due to dollar concerns while the rest of the sports world plays, this would be a lower time for me than 1994.

Watching as college athletes return to campus and infect their teammates despite supposed safety measures being taken...the only way sports play this fall is if teams just decide they're ok with everyone getting sick. The NBA has an out - they can do a bubble for their playoffs because they already ran most of their season. NFL, MLB, College football - trying to travel, allowing people to interact with families, other outside businesses, with the spikes we're seeing in the irresponsible states? 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Watching as college athletes return to campus and infect their teammates despite supposed safety measures being taken...the only way sports play this fall is if teams just decide they're ok with everyone getting sick. The NBA has an out - they can do a bubble for their playoffs because they already ran most of their season. NFL, MLB, College football - trying to travel, allowing people to interact with families, other outside businesses, with the spikes we're seeing in the irresponsible states? 

That is quite literally the policy of this administration.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Other sports leagues around the world are opening up as well as the women's soccer league here. It will be interesting to see the results of those.

Just now, ptatc said:

Other sports leagues around the world are opening up as well as the women's soccer league here. It will be interesting to see the results of those.

Around the world is different from here. Japan and South Korea combined have about as many daily cases as my county right now, and that's 1 suburban university county. Low incidence and lots of testing in those areas means you catch it early most of the time. Far higher incidence here means people are going to be exposed all the time, and then you just need for a person to be at the right stage of transmission for it to spread it to a large group.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Around the world is different from here. Japan and South Korea combined have about as many daily cases as my county right now, and that's 1 suburban university county. Low incidence and lots of testing in those areas means you catch it early most of the time. Far higher incidence here means people are going to be exposed all the time, and then you just need for a person to be at the right stage of transmission for it to spread it to a large group.

I think Germany was similar to the US and they just started or are getting ready to start the Bundesliege. Maybe that will be a little more acurrate.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think Germany was similar to the US and they just started or are getting ready to start the Bundesliege. Maybe that will be a little more acurrate.

Germany (population 83 million) had roughly as many cases per day as the Houston Metro area (population 4.6 million) for the last 2 weeks of May. For the last week, because Houston is increasing and Germany is decreasing, the Houston area has had >2x the number of cases per day as Germany. And that's early in the surge in cases that is growing for the "early open" states. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Germany (population 83 million) had roughly as many cases per day as the Houston Metro area (population 4.6 million) for the last 2 weeks of May. For the last week, because Houston is increasing and Germany is decreasing, the Houston area has had >2x the number of cases per day as Germany. And that's early in the surge in cases that is growing for the "early open" states. 

I guess the womens soccer league and premier lacrosse league in the US aren't good examples either.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess the womens soccer league and premier lacrosse league in the US aren't good examples either.

I do think US football is actually the worst of any of them because of how the sport is played, but yeah, they're still going to have problems. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I do think US football is actually the worst of any of them because of how the sport is played, but yeah, they're still going to have problems. 

Football is by far the scariest of them all, because it is the one major sport whose entire purpose is for most players on the field to intentionally make contact with other people on every single play.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As they get started, we'll see. Soccer is probably close to baseball in contact. Lacrosse has far more contact than baseball. Although Lacrosse is doing it similar to basketball with a tournament all in one spot. 

Edited by ptatc