Incredible interview with Kenny Williams on race and racism - "maybe that lady will get on the elevator with me next time"

gusguyman

I have not seen much from the White Sox organization or players about the recent BLM/police brutality movements across the US, but Kenny Williams just did an amazing 30 minute interview with SoxTV. He tells some powerful stories of his own experiences with racism. Stories about how his father gave him a gun at 9 years old, because they were afraid of racial violence. Stories about having to eventually teach his own sons about racism too. 

I couldn't find the original hosting but you can find the interview at the bottom of this article

There's some really moving stuff in this video, so I hope we can all reflect on that without getting this thread locked. :begood:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I am not at all shocked that KW was profiled and ticketed for jaywalking back in the 90s in Seattle.  SPD is outta control.

Did he say 90s? I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet but I remember finding what I thought was one of the most random tweets of all-time a few years ago:

I didn't realize there was more to it.

This is powerful.  I watched the whole thing.  This is coming from someone who is both rich and well known.  He has the benefit of a Stanford education, and has risen to the top of his profession, and he still tells the same stories about how he is treated.  This is way bigger than don't break the law and the cops won't kill you.  This isn't work hard and go to school and you will be treated the same.    It destroys a lot of the myths that we tell people today.

• Like 6

By the way, if you found this video moving, and feel inspired by KW's personal experiences to try and make change, here are some resources:

137 charities and organizations you can choose from to donate to.

Some ways to find out about protests near you to join.

How to find and contact your congressman, your senator, your other senator, your governor, and some of your local politicians. (most of these links are IL-centric but you can find all of this for your own location through google, DM if you need help!)

Some information on proposed reform platforms like 8 can't wait, ending qualified immunity, and the defunding and abolishment movements (John Oliver also just did a good segment covering some of these).

Sometimes just taking the time to read an article and educate yourself is all it takes to be a good ally that day 🖤

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

Yesterday I was looking up Joe Mauer’s stats on baseball reference, hadn’t realized he retired.

Look at the ad Google served me! Talk about offensive and unnecessary.

A9-F509-B0-B16-F-46-AB-9148-74716-AFBF84

Rhymes from the Niger This is a collection of poems written as rhymes to help children in their nursery and early primary classes gather knowledge about Nigeria. Using common national symbols and the nations aesthetics, the author helps the child to not only grasp the early concept of reading but also create a sense of patriotism to their nation and continent. Whether as a class textbook or an evening read after dinner, children will find the book to be fun and educational.

I’m assuming the author is from Nigeria or has a connection with/to the country.  The Niger River itself is an important one in Africa, just like the Nile, Amazon, Danube, Mekong, Yangtze or Mississippi in other countries.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Rhymes from the Niger This is a collection of poems written as rhymes to help children in their nursery and early primary classes gather knowledge about Nigeria. Using common national symbols and the nations aesthetics, the author helps the child to not only grasp the early concept of reading but also create a sense of patriotism to their nation and continent. Whether as a class textbook or an evening read after dinner, children will find the book to be fun and educational.

I’m assuming the author is from Nigeria or has a connection with/to the country.  The Niger River itself is an important one in Africa, just like the Nile, Amazon, Danube, Mekong, Yangtze or Mississippi in other countries.

Yea I understand that brother but still - the title is awfully poor.

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Yea I understand that brother but still - the title is awfully poor.

It's the name of the river. There is an African country by the same name.  The racial slur is spelled differently, though I'd imagine its origins come from there. There's a huge difference. 

It's pronounced like Nigeria minus the-ia. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's the name of the river. There is an African country by the same name.  The racial slur is spelled differently, though I'd imagine its origins come from there. There's a huge difference. 

While this is the most common American pronunciation, I believe the nation of Niger pronounces it NEE-zher, where the zh is sort of a soft "J' sound. Niger was a French colony and still speaks French, whereas Nigeria was a British colony. I guess the river delta pronunciation may change based on where you are, but the country pronunciation is the French way. 

21 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

the racial slur derives from the romance languages word for the color black

On 6/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, southsider2k5 said:

This is powerful.  I watched the whole thing.  This is coming from someone who is both rich and well known.  He has the benefit of a Stanford education, and has risen to the top of his profession, and he still tells the same stories about how he is treated.  This is way bigger than don't break the law and the cops won't kill you.  This isn't work hard and go to school and you will be treated the same.    It destroys a lot of the myths that we tell people today.

Well said and couldn't agree more.  The talking heads that want to make this ONLY about police don't understand what this is all about.  This is about being SEEN and HEARD as an equal.  White privilege has nothing to do with having more money or success.  It is about being able to live a normal life because our skin is white and if your skin color is different you are viewed differently.  THAT is what needs to be changed.  And this is a problem across any political persuasion you align yourself to. The police is a small part of a larger problem, albeit a part that helps keep POC down.  Police system was built to keep POC down.  The whole system is setup to keep POC down.

KW was also right that black people can't do this on their own.  They need white people, Asian people, Hispanic people, etc.  The more voices of different backgrounds is the only way things get changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Well said and couldn't agree more.  The talking heads that want to make this ONLY about police don't understand what this is all about.  This is about being SEEN and HEARD as an equal.  White privilege has nothing to do with having more money or success.  It is about being able to live a normal life because our skin is white and if your skin color is different you are viewed differently.  THAT is what needs to be changed.  And this is a problem across any political persuasion you align yourself to. The police is a small part of a larger problem, albeit a part that helps keep POC down.  Police system was built to keep POC down.  The whole system is setup to keep POC down.

KW was also right that black people can't do this on their own.  They need white people, Asian people, Hispanic people, etc.  The more voices of different backgrounds is the only way things get changed.

Its funny how much my position has evolved here as I have gotten older.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its funny how much my position has evolved here as I have gotten older.

Same here.  Not that I wasn't cognizant there was probably some injustice going on, but now I am just more aware of it and actually see it and acknowledge it.

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Same here.  Not that I wasn't cognizant there was probably some injustice going on, but now I am just more aware of it and actually see it and acknowledge it.

As I have gotten older, I definitely appreciate the less obvious forms that racism takes.  I grew up in a really diverse community and am still learning about the more subtle forms going on these days.

• Like 1

Man, what a lovely video from Kenny. Say what you want about Reinsdorf and how conservative he is with free agents and draft picks, it makes me proud to cheer for a team that won the World Series with a Black GM and a Venezuelan manager, that is by far MLB's leader when it comes to charities and outreach to the community, that has a super strong ACE program, that is represented by diverse, caring people like Anderson, Giolito, and Eloy.  They don't give rings for that stuff, but it's a big reason I'm a Sox fan. Compare that to rooting for the Ricketts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Man, what a lovely video from Kenny. Say what you want about Reinsdorf and how conservative he is with free agents and draft picks, it makes me proud to cheer for a team that won the World Series with a Black GM and a Venezuelan manager, that is by far MLB's leader when it comes to charities and outreach to the community, that has a super strong ACE program, that is represented by diverse, caring people like Anderson, Giolito, and Eloy.  They don't give rings for that stuff, but it's a big reason I'm a Sox fan. Compare that to rooting for the Ricketts.

Yes, I am extremely proud of the team I root for, for these reasons

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Well said.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, Timmy U said:

I don't know if I've ever been as proud of being of a White Sox fan as I was while reading this paragraph.

• 3 weeks later...