Crochet and Kelley

KnightsOnMintSt

Just here to say that this might be the most excited I’ve been for a White Sox draft class since I started following the MLB Draft.

We already have a ton of pitchers that I am excited about in the big leagues (Giolito, Cease, Lopez and Kopech), and then in the minor leagues we have Stiever, Thompson and Dalquist. Now we add Crochet and Kelley... 2 guys that could be Top 100 Prospects when the rankings get updated.

Sure, we couldn’t add the depth because of the shortened draft, but we added arguably two top twelve draft prospects. A guy in Crochet that has arguably the best stuff, and a guy in Kelley that was arguably the best high school prospect this year.

Kudos to the front office!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Don't get attached to any of these pitchers. I want the Sox to keep Crochet should he prove he can start in the minors, but I do realize that he's more likely to be traded to help the MLB team than to ever pitch in Chicago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't get attached to any of these pitchers. I want the Sox to keep Crochet should he prove he can start in the minors, but I do realize that he's more likely to be traded to help the MLB team than to ever pitch in Chicago. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would bet you he pitches for the White Sox before he pitches for anyone else  in MLB.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would bet you he pitches for the White Sox before he pitches for anyone else  in MLB.

I hope you're right....but once Madrigal, Robert and Kopech come up, I think anyone else (including Vaughn) could be traded for MLB help. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

At worst he ends up in the pen.

Why in gods name would we trade Vaughn? That guy is probably the surest thing of any of the guys in our Minor league system and it’s not even close. The guy has 280 30 95 written all over him.  

• Like 1

In the end it doesn't matter if they get traded or pitches for the sox as long they help the team.

However them getting traded could also mean they underperform which would be bad as you would sell low. It could of course also mean a monster trade for a superstar but I think right now that is not something to worry about

11 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Why in gods name would we trade Vaughn? That guy is probably the surest thing of any of the guys in our Minor league system and it’s not even close. The guy has 280 30 95 written all over him.  

Now that they extended Abreu, they don't have a spot for him. Eloy is going to be the DH eventually. 

I think Vaughn is going to be a .300+/25/100+ type guy with an OBP approaching .400 and 40+ doubles.  I don't want to trade him either, but re-signing Abreu kinda, um, makes it hard to find a spot for him

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Now that they extended Abreu, they don't have a spot for him. Eloy is going to be the DH eventually. 

I think Vaughn is going to be a .300+/25/100+ type guy with an OBP approaching .400 and 40+ doubles.  I don't want to trade him either, but re-signing Abreu kinda, um, makes it hard to find a spot for him

I think you underestimate the Sox willingness to use Eloy in the OF.  They want him to learn the position.  If Vaughn is as good as we hope, he will find a place on this roster very soon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think you underestimate the Sox willingness to use Eloy in the OF.  They want him to learn the position.  If Vaughn is as good as we hope, he will find a place on this roster very soon.

I fear for both Robert and Eloy's health as long as Eloy is playing LF. 

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I fear for both Robert and Eloy's health as long as Eloy is playing LF. 

Abreu is signed through 2022.  Vaughn won't be in the Bigs until 2021 at the earliest. Eloy can hold down LF for 2 more seasons.

Not to mention, according to you, baseball is cancelled until 2023.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy has to only play OF 2 more years... It'll all be fine

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Abreu is a free Agent in 23 and vaughn likely not up until may 2021. I guess eloy will stick in the outfield through 2021.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 5:10 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I hope you're right....but once Madrigal, Robert and Kopech come up, I think anyone else (including Vaughn) could be traded for MLB help. 

Never underestimate the volatility of a pitching staff. Just look at the 2015 Mets. These guys will get a shot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox were drafting for trade value, I highly doubt Grochet would have been the pick. I don't think any draft publications had him as the 11th best prospect in the draft. Most of the scouts, people in other orgs, etc James Fegan (for example) spoke with thought Grochet will end up as a reliever.

14 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

If the Sox were drafting for trade value, I highly doubt Grochet would have been the pick. I don't think any draft publications had him as the 11th best prospect in the draft. Most of the scouts, people in other orgs, etc James Fegan (for example) spoke with thought Grochet will end up as a reliever.

Yeah for trade value a HS hitter would have made more sense.

• Like 1

The drafted high school pitchers; they're risky, but okay.  The thing is, for 2 straight years, they had to punt half of the draft to do it.
I didn't understand Crochet - looked like another "quick to the majors" reach, with a little pining for Sale thrown in.
SS are the way to go; they could have easily taken the player that the Cubs tool  Of course Hahn dispatched 2 of the best in baseball for very little in return, so he clearly has other ideas.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The drafted high school pitchers; they're risky, but okay.  The thing is, for 2 straight years, they had to punt half of the draft to do it.
I didn't understand Crochet - looked like another "quick to the majors" reach, with a little pining for Sale thrown in.
SS are the way to go; they could have easily taken the player that the Cubs tool  Of course Hahn dispatched 2 of the best in baseball for very little in return, so he clearly has other ideas.

Three impact infielders, if you count Eduardo Escobar as well...

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

They didn't punt the 2019 draft to do it at all. That's not factual. They took James Beard in round 4. They also added: Chase Krogman, Logan Glass, DJ Gladney, Misael Gonzalez and Victor Torres as prep talents on day 3. Some high upside college relievers like McKinley Moore and Caleb Freeman. That is absolutely not punting. 

They did this year but they got two top 20 players in a 5 round draft. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Curious as to whom you are referring here?