Baseball Possibly Back?!

Heads22

Just now, oldsox said:

Good news, if true.

Someone please tell me why it is so important to have expanded playoffs in November and December.

The deal will probably end the season earlier and not expand the playoffs into those months. The players originally wanted the season to extend into October so those would have been the playoff months. The give and take will be the owners giving prorated pay and the players taking fewer games and expanded playoffs.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does anyone know how this compares to previous proposals from the owners?

Well I have to think the full prorated salaries is a big deal. That's the first time for that. But 60 games in 70 days w/July 19 start is so underwhelming. Even with expanded playoffs.  I gotta think they could still do at least 70 games. But I would be happy that at least They're playing. So this comes out to about a little more than 38% of games played and their yearly salary. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does anyone know how this compares to previous proposals from the owners?

Both sides conceded key points it appears.  I've trashed Manfred and he still fucked this up but he spurred this today.  Maybe the very real existential threat to MLB if they didn't play this year finally got through his and the owners' thick skulls.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Both sides conceded key points it appears.  I've trashed Manfred and he still fucked this up but he spurred this today.  Maybe the very real existential threat to MLB if they didn't play this year finally got through his and the owners' thick skulls.

I think it is obvious that Manfred was playing a four corners offense to try to shorten the season without negotiations by delay.  The guy is an eight figure salary, and his entire existence is to do exactly what the owners who paid and appointed him tell him to do.  He just got to be the guy to take the public black eye in exchange for his millions.  And he did it like a professional.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think it is obvious that Manfred was playing a four corners offense to try to shorten the season without negotiations by delay.  The guy is an eight figure salary, and his entire existence is to do exactly what the owners who paid and appointed him tell him to do.  He just got to be the guy to take the public black eye in exchange for his millions.  And he did it like a professional.

Don't you love loving a sport run by some of the most cynical assholes in the world?  I think your theory is quite plausible.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't you love loving a sport run by some of the most cynical assholes in the world?  I think your theory is quite plausible.

These guys are billionaires for a reason.  If someone was willing to pay me $10 million a year to look like an asshole to the country, so my bosses didn't have to, I would happily do it.  I get punched in the face at work for less than 1% of what Manfred is making.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

These guys are billionaires for a reason.  If someone was willing to pay me $10 million a year to look like an asshole to the country, so my bosses didn't have to, I would happily do it.  I get punched in the face at work for less than 1% of what Manfred is making.

I don't put a price on my integrity, but to each their own. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking as someone who regularly would get upset with the White Sox blowing a game in September when they have already been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in August....just bring White Sox baseball back under any cockamamie rule set and playoff structure that they want...I want to see Gio Gonzalez actually pitch for the Palehose dammit!!!

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't put a price on my integrity, but to each their own. 

Only your friends matter. Who gives a crap what outside people think. No matter what someone does in that position some people will love it and some will hate it anyway. It's like being a youth sports coach.

Edited by ptatc