Amateur Draft Signings

Johno

The MLB website is posting an article of post draft amateur signings and the White Sox are not even mentioned.   Some teams have at least 7 to 8 players heading to those teams.   Is there a reason why we are not signing any players?

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Because we've done just about nothing while other clubs have at least tried.  It is accurate, we have 1 sign and it's Madrigals brother.. Which leads me to wonder... Did we sign him just for family purposes or can he even pitch?

I think we all know the answer to that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johno said:

So is this a case we don’t want “to spend the money” or are these kids deciding to go with another team?  We all know the signing bonus is only 20K.

Not wanting to spend money.  Maybe Hahn and Jerry made an agreement.  Get 2 big guys in draft then nothing (while still having money to spend), don't sign undrafted guys, and it makes him feel better about Cespedes + Colas?  IDK.. makes some logical sense

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Adding to this and maybe Harold can help me out here. I heard the White Sox went after some pretty unrealistic targets in the NDFA process. Lots of juniors. It could help them in theory next year though. These guys will go back to school and while they'll make more than $20K next year in a 20 round draft, the White Sox could draft and sign guys potentially underslot in the 2021 draft. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Adding to this and maybe Harold can help me out here. I heard the White Sox went after some pretty unrealistic targets in the NDFA process. Lots of juniors. It could help them in theory next year though. These guys will go back to school and while they'll make more than $20K next year in a 20 round draft, the White Sox could draft and sign guys potentially underslot in the 2021 draft. 

I don't hate it, makes sense with the way rosters are at the moment. If you are going to kick a guy out you want it to be for more than an interesting college senior.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't hate it, makes sense with the way rosters are at the moment. If you are going to kick a guy out you want it to be for more than an interesting college senior.

At the end of the day, you want the guys you sign to be better than the guys in the system.  I guess they were trying to do exactly that.

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jared Kelley signed for $3 million and Bailey Horn is getting $150K. The White Sox saved Reinsdorf $7K and didn't go over their pool. I'm sure he's pleased. 

Do you know how much going 5% over would have represented?  I’m wondering if they actually had to punt their 4th round pick to get Kelley signed if Reinsdorf was willing to go to the max.

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you know how much going 5% over would have represented?  I’m wondering if they actually had to punt their 4th round pick to get Kelley signed if Reinsdorf was willing to go to the max.

They didn't have to. I think 5% over was like $388K. That's why I was expecting a better player in round 3 and 4. They could've easily signed 3 guys for $150K or so instead of what they did. They needed to make sure they had the bonus slots for Kelley though I was suppose. 

• Thanks 2

Am I the only one surprised Crochet received full slot? I believe a case could have been made that he might slide quite a few picks if not grabbed by Sox at 11. If we could have saved $500K and sprung for the 5% overage, it seems we could have secured a quality MI at 3 (Casy Martin?) Not complaining but just a bit miffed.