Amateur Draft Signings

Johno

33 minutes ago, Flash said:

Am I the only one surprised Crochet received full slot? I believe a case could have been made that he might slide quite a few picks if not grabbed by Sox at 11. If we could have saved $500K and sprung for the 5% overage, it seems we could have secured a quality MI at 3 (Casy Martin?) Not complaining but just a bit miffed.

The rumor is that he was going at 13 to San Francisco if the Sox didn't take him. He didn't really have any incentive to agree to an underslot deal. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Am I the only one surprised Crochet received full slot? I believe a case could have been made that he might slide quite a few picks if not grabbed by Sox at 11. If we could have saved $500K and sprung for the 5% overage, it seems we could have secured a quality MI at 3 (Casy Martin?) Not complaining but just a bit miffed.

I will say this much.  I don't know what budgets and finances look like, so if that half million is what is still paying our MiLB players and our staff with the big club, I am cool with it.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much.  I don't know what budgets and finances look like, so if that half million is what is still paying our MiLB players and our staff with the big club, I am cool with it.

Except we didn't save the half million. He signed full slot.

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

Except we didn't save the half million. He signed full slot.

He means if they went over. They could’ve gone 5% over which is like $380K and then paid a 75% overage tax on that amount. They didn’t do that this year. Honestly though, this draft only cost Reinsdorf $360K right now. Rest of the bonus is deferred 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He means if they went over. They could’ve gone 5% over which is like $380K and then paid a 75% overage tax on that amount. They didn’t do that this year. Honestly though, this draft only cost Reinsdorf $360K right now. Rest of the bonus is deferred 

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a "good will" move though regardless.