Collins and Mercedes

Jack Parkman

Does anyone else think that Collins or Mercedes could be traded to an NL team now that they've adopted the DH? 

Was looking for other people's thoughts on this. 

There's also the option that they keep Collins in case Encarnacion sucks, which is always a possibility because he's old. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Do we know what transactions will be allowed under this agreement?  Is it likely there would be some sort of August trade deadline?  No trades at all?  

You'd think it would be hard to get a deal together with no minor leaguers to even scout.  You'd be using old information to make a trade, that seems exceptionally risky.

If rosters are expanded could it be worth it to carry both, just to see what you have?

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Do we know what transactions will be allowed under this agreement?  Is it likely there would be some sort of August trade deadline?  No trades at all?  

You'd think it would be hard to get a deal together with no minor leaguers to even scout.  You'd be using old information to make a trade, that seems exceptionally risky.

If rosters are expanded could it be worth it to carry both, just to see what you have?

I bet they do a quick trade deadline.  After 30 games, no more trading or something like that

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why though?  Who would be spending resources for a rookie one dimensional DH?  Maybe as a piece of a bigger deal, but I don't see anyone knocking down the door for either of these guys as a DH.,

If we go to universal DH this year and next, I do not think we will ever see a pitcher bat again. I think GMs will realize that. But I agree, may not be much value had since they haven't proved it at the MLB level and all teams probably believe they have a similar person.  However they're all wrong, because Yermin is a top 5 future DH ;) 

16 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

man Collins is not as bad of a catcher as some people make him out to be. He is a below ave catcher. He is not the butcher Mercedes is. He more than acceptable to catch 30-40 games in a regular season. And if he hits in the bigs he will be a very valuable piece to have.

but do you want your backup to be a bad defender?  I feel like it's often the opposite.  You want a good defensive backup

• Like 1

If you get a decent offer I would be open for a trade but I'm not sure you get a lot for either as neither has shown much in the majors.

Also the time of the full time DH is really over, with 12 and 13 men pitching staffs most teams like to have more flexible players and rotate players through DH.

13 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

If you get a decent offer I would be open for a trade but I'm not sure you get a lot for either as neither has shown much in the majors.

Also the time of the full time DH is really over, with 12 and 13 men pitching staffs most teams like to have more flexible players and rotate players through DH.

But with rosters also expanding, keeping a full-time DH could be more practical again. 

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They’ll both be on the roster. 

That's certainly possible, Catcher,DH and 1st base among Abreu, McCann, Grandal ,Encarnacion  Collins and Mercedes . I suppose Vaughn isn't in serious consideration. So if it's 30, 3 spots go to pitchers ? Madrigal gets a spot ? Who is most likely of the 5 extra spots assuming it is 5 which might not be the case when you talk about owners paying 5 more guys.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's certainly possible, Catcher,DH and 1st base among Abreu, McCann, Grandal ,Encarnacion  Collins and Mercedes . I suppose Vaughn isn't in serious consideration. So if it's 30, 3 spots go to pitchers ? Madrigal gets a spot ? Who is most likely of the 5 extra spots assuming it is 5 which might not be the case when you talk about owners paying 5 more guys.

There's also a taxi squad too where I think these guys are more likely to land. Maybe not carry 1 but probably not both on active roster.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Actually he could be. If Vaughn or even Madrigal  would have been a prime AAA candidate in 2020 and most likely a 2021 major leaguer and MLB decides there will be no AAA season, maybe that riases a question. Would Vaughn or Madrigal be better as the 30th guy on the roster than someone who could literally lose a year of just practicing. 

16 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Actually he could be. If Vaughn or even Madrigal  would have been a prime AAA candidate in 2020 and most likely a 2021 major leaguer and MLB decides there will be no AAA season, maybe that riases a question. Would Vaughn or Madrigal be better as the 30th guy on the roster than someone who could literally lose a year of just practicing. 

Vaughn is certainly already better than the 30th guy, that is not the question. The question is like I have said in my other thread is whether you are willing to lose a year of service time with him by bringing him up.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, Dominikk85 said:

Vaughn is certainly already better than the 30th guy, that is not the question. The question is like I have said in my other thread is whether you are willing to lose a year of service time with him by bringing him up.

The answer to that is a pretty obvious no, IMO. Already ton me of dudes for 1B and DH at bats. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 3:30 PM, yesterday333 said:

man Collins is not as bad of a catcher as some people make him out to be. He is a below ave catcher. He is not the butcher Mercedes is. He more than acceptable to catch 30-40 games in a regular season. And if he hits in the bigs he will be a very valuable piece to have.

Collins is probably only below average because he's awful at receiving pitches and framing. He's average behind the plate and has an above average arm. 

If they do go to the automated strike zone, his disadvantages become minimized and Grandal's advantages do as well.