2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

Well now that they have finally set a date, I guess we are able to discuss baseball again.   

I know there are a lot of people that aren't about this type of season and will probably step back and keep this season on in the background, I'm interested in seeing what this season will entail.  How pitchers are used, how players are called up, in game actions, everything is going to be pressed into a small time frame.   I'm actually excited to see how this all unfolds.

players I'm really looking at in this scenario are Vaughn, Kopech, Rodon, Madrigal, Crochet, Burdi, Mendick and Encarnacion.   

lets talk some baseball again

• Like 2

Depending on roster size, I think there's a real chance to see Madrigal and Vaughn this season.  Actually, I think there's no doubt Madrigal will be up, but Vaughn could be if roster sizes are 30+.  Then comes the question how to play these guys.  If none of the regulars opt out, how does Vaughn get at-bats?  Is Madrigal the starting 2B?

Lots of questions.  Some will be answered soon once rosters are announced.

I'm looking forward to the season.  I know 60 games seems like a joke, but it's a hell of a lot better than 0.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Depending on roster size, I think there's a real chance to see Madrigal and Vaughn this season.  Actually, I think there's no doubt Madrigal will be up, but Vaughn could be if roster sizes are 30+.  Then comes the question how to play these guys.  If none of the regulars opt out, how does Vaughn get at-bats?  Is Madrigal the starting 2B?

Lots of questions.  Some will be answered soon once rosters are announced.

I'm looking forward to the season.  I know 60 games seems like a joke, but it's a hell of a lot better than 0.

How would service time even work in a season like this?  I think we all expected Madrigal would be in AAA for a least a few weeks to start this season.

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well now that they have finally set a date, I guess we are able to discuss baseball again.   

I know there are a lot of people that aren't about this type of season and will probably step back and keep this season on in the background, I'm interested in seeing what this season will entail.  How pitchers are used, how players are called up, in game actions, everything is going to be pressed into a small time frame.   I'm actually excited to see how this all unfolds.

players I'm really looking at in this scenario are Vaughn, Kopech, Rodon, Madrigal, Crochet, Burdi, Mendick and Encarnacion.   

The pitching decisions for 60 games in 61 days will be fascinating to watch. I think the Sox benefit from basically having 7 starters on the roster: Giolito, Kopech, Keuchel, Rodon, Lopez, Cease, and Gonzalez. With what also looks to be a strong backend of the bullpen, and a dangerous offense, I think the Sox are set up for success in this truncated season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I agree and excited to talk baseball. Its like we're finally getting something back. A little normalcy. No it's  not what it usually is.  But it's something. I want to see Garrett Cole pitch for the Yankees. I want to see Mookie bat for the Dodgers. I want to see everyone boo the Astros when They're on the road! I want to see Luis Robert play! I want to see all of our boys! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It will indeed be interesting, and definitely depends on roster size.

I would expect the following:

• No sight of Vaughn.  Already too many guys in the 1B/DH/bad catcher or corner OF mold to fit another dude in for a limited number of games.  Then there is also blowing a full year of service time.  HIGHLY doubt we see him.
  • I think Kopech starts in the rotation from the get-go.  Should get in 8-10 starts, depending on how they handle the rotation.
  • Sucks for Rodon, but I think he's one of the easier guys to throw in the pen.  Can't role out seven starters for 60 games - can you?  Maybe he slides back into the rotation if needed due to injuries or ineffectiveness.  
  • Madrigal at 2B from opening day.  Punts a year of service, obviously, but no time for games now.  
  • I think the Sox will monitor Crochet, but I'd be surprised to see him throw a major league pitch in 2020.
  • Burdi will be in the bullpen mix.  If there is essentially a taxi squad, I think he'll be on it.  If not, depends on injuries.  I'd say we most likely see him pitch at least a little in the bigs.  
  • Mendick will be on the roster and get limited time with Madrigal entrenched at 2B.
  • Encarrnacion will be the primary DH and play most days. 
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

How would service time even work in a season like this?  I think we all expected Madrigal would be in AAA for a least a few weeks to start this season.

I imagine Madrigal will start the season with the club. There's no minor leagues this year. With 60 games I would think most guys are only going to get 200 - 250 abs with this shortened season. There is a need and there hand is kinda forced.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I bet 0 opt out.. 0 notable names that is.. Do they get paid if opted out?

They get paid if they are high risk. I would be surprised if we don't see a few opt outs. We are already seeing it in the NBA.

I'm torn. Selfishly happy there's apparently going to be a season. However baseball players are no different than other humans except that they are much better paid. Playing makes them guinea pigs or lab rats. Players could get the disease and die . The country can manage without any sport , Being bored at home isn't the worst thing in the world. Players and staff getting seriously ill or dying would be terrible.

Would love to talk just baseball. I haven't chimed in much on the pandemic or negotiations because it all just sucks. It also sucks to pretend just because baseball is back that I can discuss baseball normally. It's impossible.

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

• No sight of Vaughn.  Already too many guys in the 1B/DH/bad catcher or corner OF mold to fit another dude in for a limited number of games.  Then there is also blowing a full year of service time.  HIGHLY doubt we see him.
  • Madrigal at 2B from opening day.  Punts a year of service, obviously, but no time for games now.  

Completely agree with these two. I love Vaughn but it's so difficult to see us starting his clock for him to not get any playing time. And with Madrigal, his potential contract extension (if he's worthy) will probably be quite cheap due to his skillset and the market for it, so punting that year of service time is pretty insignificant compared to someone like Robert, had we not extended him already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The real issue is how Lightfoot is going to have 2 million people, maybe more, social distance in November for the parade. 🤔 

We should probably tweet this question at her 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I will be super interested to see which players are going to opt out across the league. There will assuredly be a few. Especially those that might have high-risk family.

My prediction for the biggest names to opt out are Trout, Harper and Bryant.  All three have kids on the way or have newborns.

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Completely agree with these two. I love Vaughn but it's so difficult to see us starting his clock for him to not get any playing time. And with Madrigal, his potential contract extension (if he's worthy) will probably be quite cheap due to his skillset and the market for it, so punting that year of service time is pretty insignificant compared to someone like Robert, had we not extended him already.

I actually mentioned Vaughn if EE somehow shows his age and falls apart. I know Collins/Mercedes/Yas are all there waiting but you never know 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I actually mentioned Vaughn if EE somehow shows his age and falls apart. I know Collins/Mercedes/Yas are all there waiting but you never know 

EE is such a slow starter also that if he falters out of the gate, you might have to have a quick trigger on replacing him.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

EE is such a slow starter also that if he falters out of the gate, you might have to have a quick trigger on replacing him.

Yea, who knows with any of the notorious slow starters now because a lot of them blame cold springs, but it never hurts to be ready when every game counts

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jose has shown to be slow out of the gate too.  I know in the past people are quick to blame the cold weather. Kyyle23 beat me to it. Lol

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

The pitching decisions for 60 games in 61 days will be fascinating to watch. I think the Sox benefit from basically having 7 starters on the roster: Giolito, Kopech, Keuchel, Rodon, Lopez, Cease, and Gonzalez. With what also looks to be a strong backend of the bullpen, and a dangerous offense, I think the Sox are set up for success in this truncated season

I agree with you.  Our pitching sets up very well for this type of season.  Our young position players get a good taste of the "bigs" and the extra spots allow us to look into the future a bit.

• Like 1

For me personally it's been an incredibly trying 3 months.  I'd imagine most small businesses owners feel the same.  To be able to finally unwind with a ballgame instead of endless political twitter or trying to lose myself in a vidya game -- it's GOING TO BE FUCKING HEAVEN.

I need it man, and it's happening.  Thank goodness.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea, who knows with any of the notorious slow starters now because a lot of them blame cold springs, but it never hurts to be ready when every game counts

We see 60 game flukes all of the time both to the up and down side.  We could also see something like someone hitting .400, or other crazy statistical anomalies.