2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

35 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Interesting that mlb is still doing that. Some teams aren't going to know what they have after 30 games. But now this is the halfway mark for the season. 

I cannot possibly imagine a team giving up something of value during this

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think what he is saying is that he is assuming you don't have any underlying conditions in professional athletes and thus he is saying that 99.9% of ballplayers would survive.  I will caveat this is probably not a bad guess, but obviously we don't have data to come to this approach. I would also say I guarantee there are baseball players who have underlying conditions, whether heart disease or high blood pressure, etc.  But in general, a ballplayer should be in as low risk of a bracket as possible (from a health perspective), albeit a higher risk perspective in terms of risk of getting the virus.  

Dont forget players jacked up on meds. Could be a factor. We are not smart enough yet to discount CV. Sounds like a campaign rally. 

5 hours ago, mqr said:

Definitely can’t imagine it being as meaningful if you’re team does win it though. 

I have already celebrated my alma mater winning a simulated NCAA tournament this year so I'll take a White Sox World Series win this season and it would be quite meaningful imho.

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

According to the CDC, there are 821,000 people in the US between age 18-44 with a positive test.  2,479 of them have died.

That equals a 0.3% death rate, or 99.7% survival rate.  The vast majority of these deaths are due to underlying health issues.  So you're likely talking about a survival rate of over 99.9% for those aged between 18-44, without underlying health issues.

30 teams with 40 man rosters, is 1,200 players.

Statistically speaking, if all 1,200 players became infected, 1 would die. Assuming none had an underlying health issue, as those players are exempt from playing. That's if the ENTIRE league were infected.

“With a positive test”!!!!!!!

Now add in all the people over the past 4 months in that age group who never got tested!  Remember when nobody could get a test the first 2 months unless they were basically dying? (Completely unknown number).  Add all those people to the number   

Now add all the asymptomatic people in that group that have had the virus over the past 4 months.  (Completely unknown number).Add those people.  

This isn’t rocket science to start thinking that maybe .4 is off by magnitudes.  Multiple, multiple magnitudes.  

Don Cooper? Jim Leyland-type guys?  Totally different story.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

“With a positive test”!!!!!!!

Now add in all the people over the past 4 months in that age group who never got tested!  Remember when nobody could get a test the first 2 months unless they were basically dying? (Completely unknown number).  Add all those people to the number   

Now add all the asymptomatic people in that group that have had the virus over the past 4 months.  (Completely unknown number).Add those people.  

This isn’t rocket science to start thinking that maybe .4 is off by magnitudes.  Multiple, multiple magnitudes.  

Don Cooper? Jim Leyland-type guys?  Totally different story.  

Can you argue this in one of the many other threads where people are also arguing about covid 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can you argue this in one of the many other threads where people are also arguing about covid 

I agree. Maybe we could go talk baseball at one of the covid threads since we can't talk here. Smh

Edited by smellysox

I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

In my opinion, teams should be treating this next month - as quickly as possible - like a regular part of the season.

This is a sprint to the finish, which means it's going to be decided by 3-4 hot streaks, and while that has a lot of luck involved it can also be a lot of fun and a lot of intensity. I'm excited for the sprint even if it's unorthodox.

• Like 1

Just now, smellysox said:

Maybe we could go talk baseball at one of the covid threads since we can't talk here. Smh

I'm sayin!  

really though, Covid has owned our lives for three months.  It looks like we may get a reprieve and a bit of normalcy back in our lives.   It's going to be weird, it's going to be unsure, people are going to be mad at many different things on and off the field.  I'm just happy to be able to watch and talk some baseball again, however it should look and play out

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

In my opinion, teams should be treating this next month - as quickly as possible - like a regular part of the season.

This is a sprint to the finish, which means it's going to be decided by 3-4 hot streaks, and while that has a lot of luck involved it can also be a lot of fun and a lot of intensity. I'm excited for the sprint even if it's unorthodox.

IT would have been really cool to have extra playoff rounds on this.

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm sayin!  

really though, Covid has owned our lives for three months.  It looks like we may get a reprieve and a bit of normalcy back in our lives.   It's going to be weird, it's going to be unsure, people are going to be mad at many different things on and off the field.  I'm just happy to be able to watch and talk some baseball again, however it should look and play out

I heard one of the ESPN baseball guys on my local radio this morning saying that he'll be excited if they actually can get through Spring Training, because with the way we've seen it hit so many open locker rooms already he didn't really believe that baseball could get through Spring Training without it becoming a major problem. I think that was a wise perspective, not getting your hopes up too much until you see how it works.

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm sayin!  

This.  I get to watch my favorite game again.  That makes me happy.  With all that's happened in 2020 I can't imagine summoning the energy to get outraged over changes to the rules and parameters of a baseball season.  (Especially when those rules and parameters are ever-changing, essentially arbitrary and designed only to create fan enjoyment anyway - it's not like they're handed down on tablets from god)

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Would any team actually trade a player of value in an asterisk season where the winner doesn't matter?

Are they going to end a 60 game season with a World Series?

What about career threatening injuries in an exhibition season? 

This is madness. 

Guys who are free agents in the offseason. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

IT would have been really cool to have extra playoff rounds on this.

With 60 games, there might be 10 teams that win 32 or more games. That’s who I want to see in the playoffs. It’s a sprint season- get to winning. 
If they would have been able to play 100+, the six or seven per league would have made more sense. But with 60, I don’t want a 28-32 team being the 8 seed. 

Edited by flavum

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

With 60 games, there might be 10 teams that win 32 or more games. That’s who I want to see in the playoffs. It’s a sprint season- get to winning. 
If they would have been able to play 100+, the six or seven per league would have made more sense. But with 60, I don’t want a 28-32 team being the 8 seed. 

See I'm the opposite. I know there are teams like the Nationals last year who go 27-33 (Yes that was their record after 60 games) who are really good, and you drop that team in the playoffs as a 14 seed and they might still put together a strong playoff run.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

All this talk about asterisks is overblown.  Does anyone discount the '99 Spurs title?  The 2013 Hawks Cup?  The 1995 Devils Cup?  Better question - does anyone even remember that those were shortened seasons?  Most do not. 

If you're in the World Series and suddenly half the opposing team is under a 14 day quarantine, does that change anything?