2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

All this talk about asterisks is overblown.  Does anyone discount the '99 Spurs title?  The 2013 Hawks Cup?  The 1995 Devils Cup?  Better question - does anyone even remember that those were shortened seasons?  Most do not. 

We're any of those 1/3rd of a "season" played under totally different rules without fans? 

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How long is a DL trip for Covid? 

Unknown, would depend on symptoms. In the draft version released in May it was 7 days followed by 2 negative tests and the MLBPA thought that was not enough, the WHO recommendation is 14 days. But that's not the only thing you have to worry about, guys don't test positive the day they get exposed, so if 1 guy tests positive you have to worry about the whole team potentially having been exposed. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29186093/the-immensity-mlb-plan-return-daunting-health-safety-protocol

The off-site taxi squads, ability to move games around the country (depending on what the local health situation is), and likelihood of a special pool of players at the Nashville site to fill in on an emergency basis, give MLB a pretty good chance of making this thing work.

Seems like all the leagues that are starting up again are acknowledging that they accept there will be positive cases, and have some form of a plan to deal with them. If people believe covid-19 needs to be completely wiped out before sports like MLB can resume, then there wouldn't be MLB for a very long time, because even experts like Fauci have said a vaccine won't be enough to eliminate it.

With MLB, NHL, NBA, and MLS all scheduled for late July, plus the NFL and CFB training camps set to open then, nothing that happens with MLB will be in a vacuum. My guess is either every league plays, or none do

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

See I'm the opposite. I know there are teams like the Nationals last year who go 27-33 (Yes that was their record after 60 games) who are really good, and you drop that team in the playoffs as a 14 seed and they might still put together a strong playoff run.

The 2005 Astros also come to mind.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

All extra-inning games will start with a runner on second base beginning in the 10th.

Nobody asked for this

I'm excited to have baseball back but this rule change is just stupid!! 

Here's how I look at it - it's a completely insane year, so go for broke! If your team wins the World Series, it's "look at all the hardship these guys battled through this year; this win is even more special". For the other 29 teams, it's "Hey, this year was absolutely nuts, ehhh, whaddaya gonna do, you know? *shrug*"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I'm excited to have baseball back but this rule change is just stupid!! 

It's just to speed up the conclusion of the games.  With so many games in such a short time span they don't want 18 inning games killing these guys too.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Do you think itll actually go away though

This rule, yea.  I think this is just implemented this year for that reason, just to end extra inning games ASAP.   A full 162 game season shouldn't need that

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's just to speed up the conclusion of the games.  With so many games in such a short time span they don't want 18 inning games killing these guys too.

I get you but I think I'd rather just end it in a tie than put guys on base, plus I am concerned about them not removing the change.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This rule, yea.  I think this is just implemented this year for that reason, just to end extra inning games ASAP.   A full 162 game season shouldn't need that

Next thing they’ll do what they do in travel ball is runner on 2nd, 1 out and 2-1 count on every batter

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I get you but I think I'd rather just end it in a tie than put guys on base, plus I am concerned about them not removing the change.

Can't afford ties.  This season needs to end September 27th, no game 61's