2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

https://globalnews.ca/news/7103784/coronavirus-toronto-blue-jays/amp/

Several players and staff members on the Toronto Blue Jays have tested positive for COVID-19, a source has told The Canadian Press.

The source confirmed the news on condition of anonymity because the team has not officially announced the positive cases.

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Most people think the average MLB player is a lot richer than he actually is. They're not struggling, by any means, but the average major leaguer is certainly not a set-for-life millionaire. 

Ray: Average MLB salary is $4.38 million. MLB minimum is  $563,500.  If the average major league player is on a roster for 4-5 years they should be pretty close. 

11 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Ray: Average MLB salary is $4.38 million. MLB minimum is  $563,500.  If the average major league player is on a roster for 4-5 years they should be pretty close. 

The average is curved by people who play a long time.  Most players never seen a million a year.

10 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

AL East

Yankees, Ray's, BoSox, Braves, Nationals, Mets, and Phillies

AL West

A's, Astros, Angel's, Dodgers, DBacks, Rockies, Giants

I think we get off easier with the Twins, Indians, Cards, Brewers, Cubs, and Reds. These teams are good, but the top end elite talent isn't there. In fact, I don't think any team in the Central would finish higher than 4th in East or West with this season's scenario, as teams will try to win every game. 

If the Sox can compete against the Tribe it would be great. They might pull up even with the Cub. I would enjoy seven starters if that would be feasible. That would be a pretty decent group. The extra recovery time was a CV plus. 

6 hours ago, SCCWS said:

As mentioned... the average is skewed by the top few percent of salaries. 

17-18 mil before being chopped in half by taxes/agent also ain't set for life. Not when you earn that in your 20's. Not at all. 

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

All I can do is look at this with the same cognitive dissonance that I allow myself to have when enjoying football on Sundays in the fall. These guys are risking their long term health for tons of money and my amusement

Are these guys really risking anything more than the rest of us who have to work through this pandemic? We're all at risk is the way I see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Are these guys really risking anything more than the rest of us who have to work through this pandemic? We're all at risk is the way I see it.

They're definitely not risking any more than healthcare workers during this time.  No one is putting themselves at risk more than them.  As far as the rest of us who have been working, the players may be more at risk because of the close quarters for extended periods of time (locker room, dugout, traveling).  But, you could argue that workers at Walmart are at more risk because they are interacting with different people all day.

Key point here is that the players will be tested regularly.  There will also be plenty of health protocols in place.  I'd say they are at less risk overall than the average worker who interacts with the public.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

They're definitely not risking any more than healthcare workers during this time.  No one is putting themselves at risk more than them.  As far as the rest of us who have been working, the players may be more at risk because of the close quarters for extended periods of time (locker room, dugout, traveling).  But, you could argue that workers at Walmart are at more risk because they are interacting with different people all day.

Key point here is that the players will be tested regularly.  There will also be plenty of health protocols in place.  I'd say they are at less risk overall than the average worker who interacts with the public.

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

While this is true, what is the reason why they're doing it? For people's amusement. I have a problem with that. I have more of a problem with people being forced back to work without having a say in workplace safety, but that's another story. 

I disagreed with grocery stores being open during the lockdown btw and would have gone to an online instacart type model. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

While this is true, what is the reason why they're doing it? For people's amusement. I have a problem with that. I have more of a problem with people being forced back to work without having a say in workplace safety, but that's another story. 

I disagreed with grocery stores being open during the lockdown btw and would have gone to an online instacart type model. 

This is assuming the majority of players DON'T want to come back. For many players, this is wealth they may never come close to again. Playing will help them further their career and add to the possibility of never having to work after they retire.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Players don't play for other people's amusement.  It's a job.  A job most of them love, but come on. They are playing for money 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Players don't play for other people's amusement.  It's a job.  A job most of them love, but come on. They are playing for money 

I know it's a job....but the purpose of their job is to entertain, just like acting is a job. 

Way to miss the point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 hours ago, Richie said:

As mentioned... the average is skewed by the top few percent of salaries. 

17-18 mil before being chopped in half by taxes/agent also ain't set for life. Not when you earn that in your 20's. Not at all. 

Yes it is.

There are few people even in this country who will have career earnings of 8.5 million with a generous pension plan

47 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Yes it is.

There are few people even in this country who will have career earnings of 8.5 million with a generous pension plan

To put it in perspective, that averages out to over $193,000 per year (in *after-tax* income) for someone working steadily from age 21 to 65.  And that doesn’t even take into account the time value of money.  

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Median MLB salary in 2018 was $1.6M.

I Luv baseball all my life - from childhood to mature adulthood.  . Most every man here would dream of making $ 1.6 million in a lifetime , let alone in one year ! For playing a kids game . Spoiled million dollar babies should be thankful for our fan support . PLAY BALL !!!

1 minute ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

I Luv baseball all my life - from childhood to mature adulthood.  . Most every man here would dream of making $ 1.6 million in a lifetime , let alone in one year ! For playing a kids game . Spoiled million dollar babies should be thankful for our fan support . PLAY BALL !!!

I mean...that's not that much money over a lifetime. That's what like 40k over 40 years, that's not bad but people probably dream of making more than that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean...that's not that much money over a lifetime. That's what like 40k over 40 years, that's not bad but people probably dream of making more than that.

1.6 million for 12 months is  way better  then ....  1.6 over 480 months ( 40 years) . Not a fair comparison . Pay off your house - then invest the remaining amount  could make you even more than a million  over the remaining 39 years!!!

18 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

I'd wonder why I didn't work for the last couple of decades of my life if that's what I ended lifetime earnings with.

19 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Average MlB career is under 4 years and no one is getting 4 million in their first couple years. Average salary is inflated by top of the line. Median is well under 4 million. I believe it's under a million.