2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

3 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Yes it is.

There are few people even in this country who will have career earnings of 8.5 million with a generous pension plan

No, it really isn't. Not when you buy an extremely nice house in an extremely nice neighborhood like these guys do (like we would all do if given the opportunity). Have multiple kids going to the best schools, playing sports, paying for their college, etc. 

Guys also have aspirations to open businesses and do all sorts of things after retirement. 

Just because 8-9 mil might pay for your life. It does not mean it will pay for someone else's. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Average MlB career is under 4 years and no one is getting 4 million in their first couple years. Average salary is inflated by top of the line. Median is well under 4 million. I believe it's under a million.

The Nicky Delmonicos of the world have much more in common with any of us than they do with top end players. 

8 hours ago, Sarava said:

Are these guys really risking anything more than the rest of us who have to work through this pandemic? We're all at risk is the way I see it.

Bingo. 

Myself, my friends, family, etc.

We all work in offices, factories, etc. I have two doctors in the family and even they only make a fraction of what a ton of these guys do.

These guys also have all kinds of restrictions, daily testing, and world class doctors walking by their side. 

There's a ton of people who are 100% okay with average Joe's and even themselves going back to work. Yet, they'll also say "Ha! You cannot have a sports season! That is insane!".... uh... what? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

There's a ton of people who are 100% okay with average Joe's and even themselves going back to work. Yet, they'll also say "Ha! You cannot have a sports season! That is insane!".... uh... what? 

it's more that i'm not okay with any of it and the handling of this entire thing should be a national embarrassment, and now it's gotten to the point where some people do need to go back to work to prevent total collapse, and some things do not need to resume. 

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

The ability to evaluate performance is going to be close to zero no?

Yes and no. This season will be intense from the start and the pressure will be on.Robert and Madrigal will need to bat lower in the lineup unless they surprise in workouts. We should get about 8 to 10 starts or for each long term pitcher, so that'll be enough to evaluate. It won't be like a full season, but we will have a lot of data. I am concerned about the minors though. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Yes and no. This season will be intense from the start and the pressure will be on.Robert and Madrigal will need to bat lower in the lineup unless they surprise in workouts. We should get about 8 to 10 starts or for each long term pitcher, so that'll be enough to evaluate. It won't be like a full season, but we will have a lot of data. I am concerned about the minors though. 

Right, but you figure at some point, with positive tests, that rosters will look like a September roster and be talent will be pretty diluted.

9 minutes ago, Richie said:

No, it really isn't. Not when you buy an extremely nice house in an extremely nice neighborhood like these guys do (like we would all do if given the opportunity). Have multiple kids going to the best schools, playing sports, paying for their college, etc. 

Guys also have aspirations to open businesses and do all sorts of things after retirement. 

Just because 8-9 mil might pay for your life. It does not mean it will pay for someone else's. 

Just modest interest on an 8.5 million nest egg, say 4% a year, is 340,000 a year—close to the top 1% of all US incomes.  That’s before even digging into a dollar of your multimillion dollar principal.  Plenty of people put their kids through college, live in a nice house, and pay for sports, etc. with much, much less. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Probably. I'm worried that Mazara puts up a 120 wRC+ in his 50something games and the Sox feel a need to lock him down long-term to be safe

Yeah, unless all of their OF prospects flop, I can't see them spending a lot on a long term deal for him.  They have guys in que that they like.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, unless all of their OF prospects flop, I can't see them spending a lot on a long term deal for him.  They have guys in que that they like.

Even buying out the last arb year and signing him for like 5/55 (i.e. not "a lot") would be a bad choice IMO. I know there's hope for Adolfo, Basabe, etc. but I still think the long-term RF is gonna come from FA/trade, and there are so many good options in the near future that would make settling even worse

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Even buying out the last arb year and signing him for like 5/55 (i.e. not "a lot") would be a bad choice IMO. I know there's hope for Adolfo, Basabe, etc. but I still think the long-term RF is gonna come from FA/trade, and there are so many good options in the near future that would make settling even worse

I can't see them going longer than 2 or 3 years if anything at all.

50 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Just modest interest on an 8.5 million nest egg, say 4% a year, is 340,000 a year—close to the top 1% of all US incomes.  That’s before even digging into a dollar of your multimillion dollar principal.  Plenty of people put their kids through college, live in a nice house, and pay for sports, etc. with much, much less. 

While I don't necessarily disagree with the point you're marking, if your after-tax take home pay from (say) age 25-30 playing in the MLB was a TOTAL of $8.5 million, your "nestegg" most definitely isn't $8.5m.  Many (not all) of these guys are buying cars, million dollar houses, expensive clothes and jewelry, $1,000 meals, etc. While anyone should be able to live off $8.5m in cash handed to you at one time in your 20's if you live a relatively modest lifestyle in a not super high cost of living area, its most likely not enough for the lifestyle many pro athletes live. 

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with the point you're marking, if your after-tax take home pay from (say) age 25-30 playing in the MLB was a TOTAL of $8.5 million, your "nestegg" most definitely isn't $8.5m.  Many (not all) of these guys are buying cars, million dollar houses, expensive clothes and jewelry, $1,000 meals, etc. While anyone should be able to live off $8.5m in cash handed to you at one time in your 20's if you live a relatively modest lifestyle in a not super high cost of living area, its most likely not enough for the lifestyle many pro athletes live. 

It is, you would have just chosen to spend part of that nest egg on cars, million dollar houses, expensive clothes, jewelry and other assets.  Of course it's easy to blow through $8.5 million quickly, and it's possible for anyone to live beyond their means.  But you can be rich without having the ability to buy anything and everything you can imagine.  My point (as I know you know) is just that you are in fact set for life with $8.5 million in your 20s using any reasonable, objective measure that takes into account the whole range of incomes and human experience.  If being more "set" than over 98/99% of people isn't "set" then the category kind of has no meaning.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

2 minutes ago, knightni said:

I heard that the Cubs want to use South Bend as a Spring/Taxi location because of their affiliation.

Would the Sox use Kane County since they have a friendly relationship with the D'Backs?

I read the same thing.  One of the Cubs minority owners is also the SB Cubs owner.

As for the Sox, there are a lot of MiLB stadiums in the area which could be used.  Haven't heard anything that any one stadium is on a list or not.