2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

12 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It is, you would have just chosen to spend part of that nest egg on cars, million dollar houses, expensive clothes, jewelry and other assets.  Of course it's easy to blow through $8.5 million quickly, and it's possible for anyone to leave beyond their means.  But you can be rich without having the ability to buy anything and everything you can imagine.  My point (as I know you know) is just that you are in fact set for life with $8.5 million in your 20s using any reasonable, objective measure that takes into account the whole range of incomes and human experience.  If being more "set" than over 99% of people isn't "set" then the category kind of has no meaning.

Sure.  I mean, I could probably live of $8.5M for the rest of my life if I kept my job as steady income to pay for living expenses, and invested the majority of the $8.5M with the plan to retire early.  But if $8.5M was my net after tax pay after the course of 5 years in the big leagues, even the ones that are smart about their money are spending a decent chunk of that.  So my point is, you can't really run your modest return calculations off of after tax income.  You need to run it on money you actually saved after living expenses. And chances are if you were a fairly modest earner in MLB, when you're out of the league, you're not turning that experience into a big pay checks in retirement.  Your shelf life for making big money is pretty short.  

This isn't to say that $8.5 million isn't a lot of money.  It obviously is.  But if someone gifted me $8.5M, I quit my job with no intention of returning and lived like a millionaire for 4-5 years, the money would dry up pretty quick, even if I put 20% of the $8.5M into tax-exempt bonds paying 5% annual return. Then once my "nest egg" dried up, that $85k in tax exempt income off the $1.7M I put into bonds isn't going to support my lifestyle, my mortgage, etc, even though I am still technically a millionaire.  

Definitely a problem I hope to have someday, though!

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, mqr said:

it's more that i'm not okay with any of it and the handling of this entire thing should be a national embarrassment, and now it's gotten to the point where some people do need to go back to work to prevent total collapse, and some things do not need to resume. 

You actually don’t want baseball to resume?

Just my 2 cents here on the resuming of baseball.  I have been conversing with a good friend of mine who lives in North Carolina.  We are are on opposite ends of the spectrum politically plus he's a huge Cubs fan but we both love the grand old game.  I had told him how excited I was for the season and that Summer without baseball just did not feel right.  He responded that he agreed and although he usually tried to avoid cliches, he thought we NEEDED baseball right now.

So imho cue the James Earl Jones "people will come" speech from Field of Dreams and let's get this season going!!

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just my 2 cents here on the resuming of baseball.  I have been conversing with a good friend of mine who lives in North Carolina.  We are are on opposite ends of the spectrum politically plus he's a huge Cubs fan but we both love the grand old game.  I had told him how excited I was for the season and that Summer without baseball just did not feel right.  He responded that he agreed and although he usually tried to avoid cliches, he thought we NEEDED baseball right now.

So imho cue the James Earl Jones "people will come" speech from Field of Dreams and let's get this season going!!

Baseball helps us feel "normal."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mqr said:

The Nicky Delmonicos of the world have much more in common with any of us than they do with top end players. 

Yup, not even just his but the majority of guys. Even some good players.

When you account for taxes and agent fees/etc, these guys are walking away from their careers pre-30 with a million in net revenue. Not struggling, but certainly not filthy rich and set for life by any means.

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Bingo. 

Myself, my friends, family, etc.

We all work in offices, factories, etc. I have two doctors in the family and even they only make a fraction of what a ton of these guys do.

These guys also have all kinds of restrictions, daily testing, and world class doctors walking by their side. 

There's a ton of people who are 100% okay with average Joe's and even themselves going back to work. Yet, they'll also say "Ha! You cannot have a sports season! That is insane!".... uh... what? 

Just because you and your family are not represented properly because you aren't supported by a union doesn't mean others shouldn't fight for workers rights.

In fact, you should be rooting for the players and people fighting for all workers rights - even if you that person makes more than you.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yup, not even just his but the majority of guys. Even some good players.

When you account for taxes and agent fees/etc, these guys are walking away from their careers pre-30 with a million in net revenue. Not struggling, but certainly not filthy rich and set for life by any means.

Getting your pension and insurance is more important for most players than their actual earnings.

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I want it to resume but not if it puts a lot of people at risk. I can be excited and worried at the same time.

That’s fine, but these guys are adults and are able to make their own decision.  If they’re eager to get back on the field or simply want to make a fuckton on money, who are we to say no?  I’m not suggesting your saying that, but I do get that vibe from certain posters.

• Thanks 1

So who are the 44 at GRF July 3rd? Surely it's not the 40 man roster + 4? There were alot more then that at Glendale.  This will be the team. A 30 man roster and then 14 on the taxi squad -- at least for 2 weeks then 28 and 16 and finish at 26 and 18. My guess, at least to start, would be this:

Catcher 

1 Grandal 2 McCann 3 Collins 4 Mercedes 

Infield 

5  Abrue 6 Madrigal 7 Anderson  8 Moncada 9 Garcia 10 Mendick 11 EE

Outfield 

12 Eloy 13 Robert 14 Mazarra 15 Engel

SP

16 Giolito 17 Keuchel 18 Lopez 19 Rodon 20 Kopech 21 Cease 22 Gonzalez 

RP

23 Colome 24 Bummer 25 Herrera 26 Fry 27 Cordero 28 Marshall 29 Heuer 30 Fulmer 31 Hamilton  32 Burdi 33 Ruiz 34 Foster 38 Cishek 

Others

35 Dunning  36 Lambert 37 Crochet 39 Delmonico 40 Romine 41 Mejia 

Really I think Vaughn is not a part of this yet. Hasn't had enough ab's. What do you think? Others? Who am I  missing to get to 44?

Edited by smellysox

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Average MlB career is under 4 years and no one is getting 4 million in their first couple years. Average salary is inflated by top of the line. Median is well under 4 million. I believe it's under a million.

Ray: The White Sox had $91Mil in salaries in 2019 which ranked them 26th out of 30. So, in general they were on the very low side. They averaged $3.1 million per player on the 28 man roster and 14 of them made $1.4 million and up to Abreu at $16 Mil. . 

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/index.php?team=CHA&cyear=2019

FWIW, here’s who was in camp on March 12:

Pitchers-Anderson, Bummer, Cease, Cishek, Colome, Cordero, Detwiler, Fry, Fulmer, Giolito, Gonzalez, Hamilton, Herrera, Heuer, Johnson, Keuchel, Kopech, Lail, Lindgren, Lopez, Marshall, McRae, Mejia, Rodon, Ruiz

Catchers- Collins, Grandal, McCann, Mercedes, Perez

Infield- Abreu, Anderson, Cuthbert, Encarnacion, Garcia, Madrigal, Mendick, Moncada, Romine, Sheets, Vaughn

Outfield- Brugman, Delmonico, Engel, Gonzalez, Jimenez, Mazara, Palka, Robert

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s fine, but these guys are adults and are able to make their own decision.  If they’re eager to get back on the field or simply want to make a fuckton on money, who are we to say no?  I’m not suggesting your saying that, but I do get that vibe from certain posters.

They are putting others at risk but to that point, so are many workers that have been forced back.

I think if, as a union, they decide they want to play then I agree with you - it's not our place. If states decide the gatherings are for too many people though? who knows then. People talking about fans in the stands already are crazy imo. This virus isn't something that'll just disappear.

46 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Ray: The White Sox had $91Mil in salaries in 2019 which ranked them 26th out of 30. So, in general they were on the very low side. They averaged $3.1 million per player on the 28 man roster and 14 of them made $1.4 million and up to Abreu at $16 Mil. . 

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/index.php?team=CHA&cyear=2019

This data is wrong.

I show the White Sox with 20 players last year earning less than $580,000 and 10 players earning more than 580,000.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Probably. I'm worried that Mazara puts up a 120 wRC+ in his 50something games and the Sox feel a need to lock him down long-term to be safe

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, unless all of their OF prospects flop, I can't see them spending a lot on a long term deal for him.  They have guys in que that they like.

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Even buying out the last arb year and signing him for like 5/55 (i.e. not "a lot") would be a bad choice IMO. I know there's hope for Adolfo, Basabe, etc. but I still think the long-term RF is gonna come from FA/trade, and there are so many good options in the near future that would make settling even worse

Worth remembering...they may not have fans in the ballpark again next year, or at the very least in Dec/Jan there's a good chance they have absolutely no idea if there will be fans in the ballpark, so random extensions this offseason....

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Worth remembering...they may not have fans in the ballpark again next year, or at the very least in Dec/Jan there's a good chance they have absolutely no idea if there will be fans in the ballpark, so random extensions this offseason....

Fair point, but I'm hoping that we're less affected by this both because of how low the payrolls have been for the past few years (might be wishful thinking) and because the proportion of our revenue from attendance/concessions and whatnot is probably lower than that of most other teams

8 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The real question is will the WS champ celebrate? Heck, will division champs even celebrate? 

Socially distanced celebrating.  Air high-fives, no hugging.  I guess chest bumps would be allowed since it would just be uniform on uniform. 😂  The Cubs will probably still be allowed to do their crotch bumps.

20 hours ago, mqr said:

it's more that i'm not okay with any of it and the handling of this entire thing should be a national embarrassment, and now it's gotten to the point where some people do need to go back to work to prevent total collapse, and some things do not need to resume. 

It was handled poorly. Relative to whom? We don't even BEGIN to approach the top of the list in COVID deaths per million inhabitants. Which developed nation didn't see this virus spread? I'm not sure what could have been handled better. The shit came here and it spread. Like viruses do. We shutdown. The spread slowed. We reopened (had mass protests) and there has been a spike. Not to mention, since re-openings, the economy has begun a recovery. 

If it's safe for me to work. If it's safe for my girlfriend to work. If it's safe for my family and friends to work. It's more than safe enough for athletes in their 20's and early 30's to play baseball. With far better testing capabilities, medical attention, and restrictions than the rest of us will have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1