2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, Richie said:

It was handled poorly. Relative to whom? We don't even BEGIN to approach the top of the list in COVID deaths per million inhabitants. Which developed nation didn't see this virus spread? I'm not sure what could have been handled better. The shit came here and it spread. Like viruses do. We shutdown. The spread slowed. We reopened (had mass protests) and there has been a spike. Not to mention, since re-openings, the economy has begun a recovery. 

If it's safe for me to work. If it's safe for my girlfriend to work. If it's safe for my family and friends to work. It's more than safe enough for athletes in their 20's and early 30's to play baseball. With far better testing capabilities, medical attention, and restrictions than the rest of us will have. 

We're #9 in the world in deaths/million, #7 if you take out tiny countries San Marino and Andorra. We're adding more deaths at a much faster rate than the countries ahead of us, meaning we're going to keep climbing in those rankings. Perhaps it's not safe for all of us to be rushing back to work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This data is wrong.

I show the White Sox with 20 players last year earning less than $580,000 and 10 players earning more than 580,000.

You say the data is wrong? I gave you the link  from Baseball Prospectus with 14 players starting at 1.4 Mil and ending at $16 Mil( Anderson up to Abreu). Baseball Reference has the same data but lists only 13 since Alonso got traded but the White Sox were still on the hook for $8 mil. to him. No clue where your data says only 10 over $580,000. .  

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

We're #9 in the world in deaths/million, #7 if you take out tiny countries San Marino and Andorra. We're adding more deaths at a much faster rate than the countries ahead of us, meaning we're going to keep climbing in those rankings. Perhaps it's not safe for all of us to be rushing back to work.

And way behind the countries on top of the board. Belguim has twice as many per million as we do. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/ This also isn't including countries like China, Russia, etc. who are sure to be cooking their books. 

Notice that all of the countries towards the top are UK, France, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, etc. You know... some of the nations with the most traffic, industry, etc. Considering all of the traffic that comes in and out of this country. We're doing pretty damn good. 

And that's not how it works. We're experience a bit of a spike now but that's what it is... a spike. We will spike will some others slow. Then, we will slow while others spike. 

At the end of the day; this damn thing got here in December. From there, it was on its own. 

Perhaps it's not safe for all of us to be rushing back to work.

There is/was going to be a spike WHENEVER we go back. I don't think people understand the point of the shutdown. It was never to eradicate the virus. We will ALL be exposed eventually. It's to space out the spikes so we have the ability to care for everyone and hospitals/doctors don't get over run. It's working. 

People honestly are under the impression that quarantining/shutting down was supposed to permanently flatten and get rid of this. It was never intended to do that. We're trying to space out the waves until we get a vaccine. 

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Richie said:

And way behind the countries on top of the board. Belguim has twice as many per million as we do. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/ This also isn't including countries like China, Russia, etc. who are sure to be cooking their books. 

Notice that all of the countries towards the top are UK, France, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, etc. You know... some of the nations with the most traffic, industry, etc. Considering all of the traffic that comes in and out of this country. We're doing pretty damn good. 

And that's not how it works. We're experience a bit of a spike now but that's what it is... a spike. We will spike will some others slow. Then, we will slow while others spike. 

At the end of the day; this damn thing got here in December. From there, it was on its own. 

Perhaps it's not safe for all of us to be rushing back to work.

There is/was going to be a spike WHENEVER we go back. I don't think people understand the point of the shutdown. It was never to eradicate the virus. We will ALL be exposed eventually. It's to space out the spikes so we have the ability to care for everyone and hospitals/doctors don't get over run. It's working. 

People honestly are under the impression that quarantining/shutting down was supposed to permanently flatten and get rid of this. It was never intended to do that. We're trying to space out the waves until we get a vaccine. 

We forgot to flatten the curve and many leaders refuse to wear a mask. There were numerous mis-steps and we could have done better. Not our shining moment. Our country is too divided to meet this challenge. 

• Like 6

On 6/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, SCCWS said:

You say the data is wrong? I gave you the link  from Baseball Prospectus with 14 players starting at 1.4 Mil and ending at $16 Mil( Anderson up to Abreu). Baseball Reference has the same data but lists only 13 since Alonso got traded but the White Sox were still on the hook for $8 mil. to him. No clue where your data says only 10 over $580,000. .  

Sporttrac has the actual payments made - which is all that matters- to white sox players last year. 

I'm kinda confused in the 60 man roster and how some of the organizations think differently with it. For example hardly any top prospects are included on the 60 man for the Orioles. Same with the Red Sox. In fact, Baseball America points this out and says the Red Sox are constructing their 60 man with contention in mind this year? Have they seen the Red Sox starting rotation?  Anyways, I guess I don't understand all the new rules for the 60 man roster. And why do some orgs include top prospects and others don't? Is there an advantage?

Edited by smellysox

9 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I'm kinda confused in the 60 man roster and how some of the organizations think differently with it. For example hardly any top prospects are included on the 60 man for the Orioles. Same with the Red Sox. In fact, Baseball America points this out and says the Red Sox are constructing their 60 man with contention in mind this year? Have they seen the Red Sox starting rotation?  Anyways, I guess I don't understand all the new rules for the 60 man roster. And why do some orgs include top prospects and others don't? Is there an advantage?

The advantage to including top prospects, even if they have no chance of playing in the big this season, is simply to get them reps and have them be around the team.  What is the alternative?  Sure seems to me it would be better than sitting at home playing video games?  

I do wonder what the O's and Red Sox logic behind it is, though I haven't personally scoured their 60 man rosters yet.  

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The advantage to including top prospects, even if they have no chance of playing in the big this season, is simply to get them reps and have them be around the team.  What is the alternative?  Sure seems to me it would be better than sitting at home playing video games?  

I do wonder what the O's and Red Sox logic behind it is, though I haven't personally scoured their 60 man rosters yet.  

Once you place a player on that 60, you have to waiver or release them to remove them.  This allows teams like the Red Sox to have more "major league ready" guys on the taxi squad than just their 40 man roster, instead of taking up those spaces with guys who have zero chance at being here this year.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

A day after announcing their initial player pool for the start of summer camp later this week, the Mets on Monday supplemented it with a quintet of signings. Three of them -- reliever Hunter Strickland, infielder Gordon Beckham and outfielder Melky Cabrera -- came from outside the organization. The other two -- pitcher Erasmo Ramirez and outfielder Ryan Cordell -- came from within. All five are part of the Mets’ 60-man player pool scheduled to begin working out at Citi Field on Friday.

3 ex Sox Melky, Beckham and Cordell. I was only half joking the other day when I said sign Puig. Looks like they Mets are supplementing their 60 to include some veteran MLB talent also.

1st paragraph taken from MLB.com

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 6/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sporttrac has the actual payments made - which is all that matters- to white sox players last year. 

Ray: I gave you the same info on Baseball Reference and Baseball Prospectus but you chose Sporttrac. They have the same info as well but you read it wrong.They broke it down into different lists. The first 10 players were on the active roster at end of season. You stopped there. The 14 are the 10 plus Nate Jones-Carlos Rodon and John Jay all injured but still made well over a million per year. The last was Alonso who go traded mid-season but was paid $8 Mil by the White Sox. So again, the White Sox had 14 players on their roster getting paid  $1.4 million and up staritng w Anderson and finishing at Abreu at $16 Mil. . 

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Ray: I gave you the same info on Baseball Reference and Baseball Prospectus but you chose Sporttrac. They have the same info as well but you read it wrong.They broke it down into different lists. The first 10 players were on the active roster at end of season. You stopped there. The 14 are the 10 plus Nate Jones-Carlos Rodon and John Jay all injured but still made well over a million per year. The last was Alonso who go traded mid-season but was paid $8 Mil by the White Sox. So again, the White Sox had 14 players on their roster getting paid  $1.4 million and up staritng w Anderson and finishing at Abreu at $16 Mil. . 

Can we end this argument please thanks.  They all make a lot of money.  More than us.  They are risking their lives to a degree in order to play this game.  The end.  Neither of you are giving in.

8 hours ago, SCCWS said:

My bad SCC.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can we end this argument please thanks.  They all make a lot of money.  More than us.  They are risking their lives to a degree in order to play this game.  The end.  Neither of you are giving in.

Everyone is risking their lives going into work.  Them less-so since they work outside and are healthy individuals (most likely).. It's all a joke.