2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sometime this week with a hopefully expanded playoffs. 

Man, I hope not. They’re selling a 60-game sprint where every game matters. Letting in any team that goes 27-33 would make the 66 day regular season really meaningless.

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Man, I hope not. They’re selling a 60-game sprint where every game matters. Letting in any team that goes 27-33 would make the 66 day regular season really meaningless.

Let's say a 27-33 team gets in. The 5th place wild card would probably have 33 wins. Not that big of deal to me. I think the more important thing is giving fans hope and keeping them engaged. Also, if more teams have a legit shot to make the playoffs, we are gonna get much better baseball this season. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Everyone is risking their lives going into work.  Them less-so since they work outside and are healthy individuals (most likely).. It's all a joke.

Cool thanks b**** about it somewhere else 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flavum said:

After 60 games in 2019, the Washington Nationals had a record of....27-33. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Clearly 2019 first 60 games and 2020 first 60 games should be evaluated the same.

honestly why does your above factoid even matter to you?  We are to feel bad or something because last years world champion took 162 games to get to the playoffs and they won't be afforded the same chance this year? Everyone knows the stakes this year. You come out flat, you don't play in the post season.  Sorry 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Clearly 2019 first 60 games and 2020 first 60 games should be evaluated the same.

honestly why does your above factoid even matter to you?  We are to feel bad or something because last years world champion took 162 games to get to the playoffs and they won't be afforded the same chance this year? Everyone knows the stakes this year. You come out flat, you don't play in the post season.  Sorry 

Well first of all I'd really like to watch an expanded playoffs because I enjoy the playoffs.

Second, we know darn well that good teams go into slumps and this year they'd have only 1 chance to do so before having to come right out of it.

Third, this year some teams are going to lose substantial number of players to quarantines and that could easily be the difference between 33-27 and 27-33.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which is another way of saying this has a really high chance of being a flukey season, so a team has to be ready from day one.  Think of it this way, a 60 game season when compared to the 162 game season means each game this year is worth 2.7 in a normal season.  A bad week is more like a bad month than a bad week.  A bad month is the end of a season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Well first of all I'd really like to watch an expanded playoffs because I enjoy the playoffs.

Second, we know darn well that good teams go into slumps and this year they'd have only 1 chance to do so before having to come right out of it.

Third, this year some teams are going to lose substantial number of players to quarantines and that could easily be the difference between 33-27 and 27-33.

First, I also would like an expanded playoffs, but nobody could get together and make up their minds. There is nothing we can do about that.

Second, when it comes to talking about teams that may be better than they show out of the gate, I honestly don't feel bad for them.  Every team has 60 games to play, they all know what they need to do.  If they come out flat I'm not gonna be like "oh damn we need more playoffs for this team that blew off half the season to be able to get in"

Third, this may or may not be true.  Bundesliga is managing this situation and they are still playing.  The number might be substantial but it is not guaranteed like you think it is

1 minute ago, Quin said:

There's a coronavirus thread conveniently designed for this conversation.

Well timed - I was just coming in here to say I moved all of those posts to the CoronaVirus thread that is focused on that topic. 

Every game is important this season. Teams that fall into a slump this year... too bad for them. Nothing fair or unfair about that. Those are the parameters this year. It's either that or no ball.

Let's hope the parameters pose enough advantages that our Sox can take advantage of. It would be nice to be excited for baseball come October.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

First, I also would like an expanded playoffs, but nobody could get together and make up their minds. There is nothing we can do about that.

Second, when it comes to talking about teams that may be better than they show out of the gate, I honestly don't feel bad for them.  Every team has 60 games to play, they all know what they need to do.  If they come out flat I'm not gonna be like "oh damn we need more playoffs for this team that blew off half the season to be able to get in"

Third, this may or may not be true.  Bundesliga is managing this situation and they are still playing.  The number might be substantial but it is not guaranteed like you think it is

I am not sure how the quarantine will work. I don't see a  large  number of players testing positive. But I am not clear that when a player tests positive, who else on the roster has to also quarantine because of exposure issues?   

Edited by SCCWS

39 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I am not sure how the quarantine will work. I don't see a  large  number of players testing positive. But I am not clear that when a player tests positive, who else on the roster has to also quarantine because of exposure issues?   

With all of the testing capacity, I think the idea would be that if someone tests positive, the rest of the team could immediately be tested to determine if they have it too (and continue to play if they are negative).  So unlike how it was a few months ago, players shouldn't have to quarantine if they've just been exposed to someone who tests positive, only if they themselves actually test positive.

The playoffs are always bullshit.  The regular season champion should be the champion on an evenly based schedule.  If you want to do AL v NL that is fine but the best team in the regular season is the best team case closed.  Not some team that gets hot/lucky for the playoffs.  Only sport that I think needs playoffs is football.  

College basketball conference tournaments drive me nuts.

1 hour ago, WhiteAnkleSox said:

Every game is important this season. Teams that fall into a slump this year... too bad for them. Nothing fair or unfair about that. Those are the parameters this year. It's either that or no ball.

Let's hope the parameters pose enough advantages that our Sox can take advantage of. It would be nice to be excited for baseball come October.

One parameter that would help our Sox is expanded post season. We are a fringe wild card team this season so hopefully they add a few more teams to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The playoffs are always bullshit.  The regular season champion should be the champion on an evenly based schedule.  If you want to do AL v NL that is fine but the best team in the regular season is the best team case closed.  Not some team that gets hot/lucky for the playoffs.  Only sport that I think needs playoffs is football.  

Why is football different from you (bad) logic?

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Fan interest and revenues are a huge reason.

Pretty strongly disagree with your take in general, but especially the CBB one, at least as it pertains to major conference basketball.  Conference tourneys give everyone a chance.  A chance at a new season.  The games themselves (for the teams that are already going to be at large teams) really don't mean all that much.  I know the networks and bracketologists like to play up that angle, but generally, teams that are well off the bubble aren't playing themselves on in conference tourneys, and the only way those bad teams are getting in is winning the whole conference tourney.  It makes things interesting for teams and for fans.  

Now for smaller 1 bid leagues, I'd agree the conference tourneys suck.  Sucks for a team to go 17-1 in a league, dominate everyone, and then have one bad night in early March and have to play in the NIT.  But such is the reality for low and most mid majors.    

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fan interest and revenues are a huge reason.

Pretty strongly disagree with your take in general, but especially the CBB one, at least as it pertains to major conference basketball.  Conference tourneys give everyone a chance.  A chance at a new season.  The games themselves (for the teams that are already going to be at large teams) really don't mean all that much.  I know the networks and bracketologists like to play up that angle, but generally, teams that are well off the bubble aren't playing themselves on in conference tourneys, and the only way those bad teams are getting in is winning the whole conference tourney.  It makes things interesting for teams and for fans.  

Now for smaller 1 bid leagues, I'd agree the conference tourneys suck.  Sucks for a team to go 17-1 in a league, dominate everyone, and then have one bad night in early March and have to play in the NIT.  But such is the reality for low and most mid majors.    

This is the perfect way of putting it. Smaller leagues get one bid and it is not fair for the regular season champ not to get a bid. CBB needs a NCAA tourney because of the many different conferences and unbalanced schedules. 

7 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

With all of the testing capacity, I think the idea would be that if someone tests positive, the rest of the team could immediately be tested to determine if they have it too (and continue to play if they are negative).  So unlike how it was a few months ago, players shouldn't have to quarantine if they've just been exposed to someone who tests positive, only if they themselves actually test positive.

Sounds good. I just found this article which clears it up.

What we will do is the positive individual will be removed from the rest of the group,” Manfred said, via the Houston Chronicle. “There will be quarantine arrangement in each facility and in each city, and then we’ll do contact tracing for the individuals we believe there was contact with, and we’ll do point of care testing for those individuals to minimize the likelihood that there is a spread.”

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=MLB&as_epq=if+a+player+tests+positive+&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&tbs=