2020 60 game sprint to the finish

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

If they can actually pull this off, I think a 60-game sprint could be a lot of fun. It’s really a race to 35 wins. If a team goes 35-25, and then wins three rounds of playoffs, it feels pretty legit to me. It’s just different. 

Definitely can’t imagine it being as meaningful if you’re team does win it though. 

I personally don’t see this even getting that far though. 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We see 60 game flukes all of the time both to the up and down side.  We could also see something like someone hitting .400, or other crazy statistical anomalies.

I'm pretty stoked at getting a weird flukey fun season. I'll take baseball in any form it's offered with our current landscape. The purists pouting about a short season with different rules/game changes is just the icing on the cake.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

For me personally it's been an incredibly trying 3 months.  I'd imagine most small businesses owners feel the same.  To be able to finally unwind with a ballgame instead of endless political twitter or trying to lose myself in a vidya game -- it's GOING TO BE FUCKING HEAVEN.

I need it man, and it's happening.  Thank goodness.

Freelancer over here.  I feel you!

Edited by SouthWallace

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Definitely can’t imagine it being as meaningful if you’re team does win it though. 

I personally don’t see this even getting that far though. 

It would be meaningful to me.  It's a short season, but all teams will start in an equal position and on equal footing.  Whoever wins deserves to be crowned and celebrated.  No one will forget this as the "covid-shortened season," but I personally won't question its legitimacy in the record books.  Frankly, if the season actually gets played and finished, whoever wins will be 1000% more legitimate than the 2017 Astros.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It would be meaningful to me.  It's a short season, but all teams will start in an equal position and on equal footing.  Whoever wins deserves to be crowned and celebrated.  No one will forget this as the "covid-shortened season," but I personally won't question its legitimacy in the record books.  Frankly, if the season actually gets played and finished, whoever wins will be 1000% more legitimate than the 2017 Astros.

Not even so much a question of legitmacy, just like there being no playoff atmosphere, no bars to watch games, no or limited watch parties, no parade etc. etc. Like the White Sox winning would just be a constant reminder that shit generally still really, really sucks, as opposed to being any kind of respite from it. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

With our pitching depth I feel good about our chances.  At the very least we get a good look at our young guys progressing.  Might even win depending on how divisions are set up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I actually mentioned Vaughn if EE somehow shows his age and falls apart. I know Collins/Mercedes/Yas are all there waiting but you never know 

They're also going to have to have options for what to do if there's an outbreak on the team and multiple guys need quarantined for several weeks. The talk a month ago was that they'd have an extra 20 players ready to go in case that happens, and Vaughn definitely belongs in that group if that's how it goes.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Are they striking before the CBA expires 12/1/21?

I don't think they can. In 1994 they were allowed to strike because the owners decided against locking out, and they were playing without a CBA. 

I don't think the owners would make that mistake again. They'll definitely lock out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm torn. Selfishly happy there's apparently going to be a season. However baseball players are no different than other humans except that they are much better paid. Playing makes them guinea pigs or lab rats. Players could get the disease and die . The country can manage without any sport , Being bored at home isn't the worst thing in the world. Players and staff getting seriously ill or dying would be terrible.

Would love to talk just baseball. I haven't chimed in much on the pandemic or negotiations because it all just sucks. It also sucks to pretend just because baseball is back that I can discuss baseball normally. It's impossible.

Sorry but you are living in a different world. There are millions of Americans who went back to work because they need to support their families. They work in all type of different jobs with different degrees of exposure. Most professional athletes can opt out if they choose and live off their past earnings.Those that choose to play will make big bucks and will be tested and protected a hell of a lot more often than the average person. Athletes are no where near lab rat status compared to most workers on the front lines. 

Edited by SCCWS
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Sorry but you are living in a different world. There are millions of Americans who went back to work because they need to support their families. They work in all type of different jobs with different degrees of exposure. Most professional athletes can opt out if they choose and live off their past earnings.Those that choose to play will make big bucks and will be tested and protected a hell of a lot more often than the average person. Athletes are no where near lab rat status compared to most workers on the front lines. 

Yeah, but even among people from age 20-69, the death rate hovers between 0.4-0.6%. 

Statistically, if 250 players got Covid one would die. 10% get would be seriously ill, so that would be 25 players in ICUs. 

0.4% is high if you think about it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I'm pretty stoked at getting a weird flukey fun season. I'll take baseball in any form it's offered with our current landscape. The purists pouting about a short season with different rules/game changes is just the icing on the cake.

I have no problem with the short season.

i despise this trial run with all these terrible rule changes. They make my blood boil

21 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

That's the key there.  They will be tested routinely, which will be important.  As you pointed out, there are many people (myself included) that have been working since this started, working with plenty of other people.  MLB will have safety protocols in place.  They will not take restarting lightly in regards to health.

Have no idea on a lot of stuff since I've barely been following --- but assuming service time is still a thing - and that if you're on the extended roster you'd count against it? Then I think you have to go with caution unfortunately. why waste any of your talent for a joke of a season? What the difference if Madrigal plays 50 games or if he doesn't? 

The main point of fun to me should be the pitching - I think we're more likely to see a Rays approach. Maybe Kopech/Rodon are paired up on days since they're working their way back. Each gets 3-4 innings. More or less dependent on if one is on/off that day. Likewise with Cease/Lopez. I think those 4 guys should be paired up in some sort of opener scenario ... where they all can put in 2-6 innings of work. I think managing with the Sox rotation could also lend itself to playoff baseball menality. aka, short hook. if cease is having a bad day? Well you have 7 very, very capable SP. You're only playing 60 games, there's no inning limitations -- so might as well pull them and put in somebody else. Who actually needs a set rotation? 

On the batting side? I don't think much changes there. I think you'll see generally normal lineups. Going to suck for the streaky hitters - not sure who that applies to on our team - but a bad 15 game stretch is now 25% of the season -- hard to ride out a player through that on extended rosters. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I have no problem with the short season.

i despise this trial run with all these terrible rule changes. They make my blood boil

I'd encourage you to read up on baseball history. Not changing the rules and adapting doesn't lead to nostalgia, it leads to no fans. If anything they should be doing more rule changes ... this is a practice year essentially. Try anything and everything. They should be implementing every single rule that was on the table as a trial period. Keep the ones that work. 

Not like it matters though - baseball is dying. And will continue to do so into a niche sport until they change the rules about stepping out of the box. Keep the batters in the box between each pitch, shorten the game 30-45 minutes and you save the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I'll wait until more information is out to get really excited... gotta see the framework with all the new rules and regulations.

But yeah, it'll be nice seeing Eloy/Roberts/Moncada hitting. Something to look forward to for sure. 

15 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'd encourage you to read up on baseball history. Not changing the rules and adapting doesn't lead to nostalgia, it leads to no fans. If anything they should be doing more rule changes ... this is a practice year essentially. Try anything and everything. They should be implementing every single rule that was on the table as a trial period. Keep the ones that work. 

Not like it matters though - baseball is dying. And will continue to do so into a niche sport until they change the rules about stepping out of the box. Keep the batters in the box between each pitch, shorten the game 30-45 minutes and you save the game. 

The sport isnt dying. Its making money hand over fist. This nonsensical idea that you need to implement all these gimmicky rules to “save baseball” are whats turning the game into a joke

• Like 1