Trade Players in ST

HollywoodTim

If it is allowable, I think we need to trade Gio Gonzalez to complete the prophecy and also EE.  I would like to trade Keuchel also but no one wants him most likely.  This season is way too short to disallow the young players MLB development time.  

At the very least I think the rotation should be Giolito-Keuchel-Lopez-Kopech-Cease with Rodon and Dunning in the bullpen, but I'd rather there be no Keuchel in it and Rodon take the spot to build offseason trade value or make a case for an extension offer.  

With the lineup, since half of a season means Madrigal most likely gets a lot of time, I'd like to take out EE's ABs and give them to Collins.

I also wouldn't mind trading McCann for a lower level quality prospect if the deal is out there in ST to open up ABs at C.

I don't really care about winning short term ATM, I care about the long-term development process, and I think it's going to be too difficult to develop players especially in a short season like this without trading at least a few MLB veterans.

Officially on my MLB veteran trade block: Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, EE, McCann, Herrera, also Colome if Rodon becomes the closer which I think makes some sense if you don't start him, but I think you need to start him.

3 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

If it is allowable, I think we need to trade Gio Gonzalez to complete the prophecy and also EE.  I would like to trade Keuchel also but no one wants him most likely.  This season is way too short to disallow the young players MLB development time.  

At the very least I think the rotation should be Giolito-Keuchel-Lopez-Kopech-Cease with Rodon and Dunning in the bullpen, but I'd rather there be no Keuchel in it and Rodon take the spot to build offseason trade value or make a case for an extension offer.  

With the lineup, since half of a season means Madrigal most likely gets a lot of time, I'd like to take out EE's ABs and give them to Collins.

I also wouldn't mind trading McCann for a lower level quality prospect if the deal is out there in ST to open up ABs at C.

I don't really care about winning short term ATM, I care about the long-term development process, and I think it's going to be too difficult to develop players especially in a short season like this without trading at least a few MLB veterans.

Officially on my MLB veteran trade block: Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, EE, McCann, Herrera, also Colome if Rodon becomes the closer which I think makes some sense if you don't start him, but I think you need to start him.

I would expect them to not trade anyone. Also, there's no reason they couldn't just pitch Gio out of the bullpen. And why trade Colome just because of Rodon? They need all the arns they can get.

I don't personally care about winning this year.  I am concerned with getting the young MLB guys who we have to burn service time on anyway developmental time against MLB competition.  

Winning this 2020 COVID Cup is basically the equivalent of winning the BP Crosstown Cup for like 3 or 4 years in a row.  It will always be a lesser accomplishment and have a huge asterisk on it, especially when (inevitably) star players go down and large chunks of the 60 game season get lost.

I want to see certain pitchers get innings and certain hitters get ABs.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

Tanking teams will be selling anything and everything especially if there is a salary attached.  You could see a ton of trades early as the GM's have had months to do nothing but time to dream up trades.

Probably.  

For us though, I am not saying we should tank, just that we should open up as much playing time as possible for the pieces that matter going forward.  Hopefully in 2021 we have a normal season and we'll be ready to win then.  That was initially the best case scenario plan anyway: win in 2021 after most of the top prospects have made it to the Majors and gotten enough experience.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With as many games as are going to be played in such a short amount of time, the pitching roster will be really interesting to try to configure, especially if Rodon is part of it.  not sure that this means we will trade, as we are going to need a lot of arms.

The Pitchers are all probably going to start off going 3-4 innings for at least the first few weeks, so you're going to need the equivalent of an 8-9 person rotation to start the  season (Hence the 30 man roster to open the year). 

When rosters contract, trading someone like Gio at the deadline to a team where their pitchers have struggled more than expected...could make sense.

27 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

I don't personally care about winning this year.  I am concerned with getting the young MLB guys who we have to burn service time on anyway developmental time against MLB competition.  

Winning this 2020 COVID Cup is basically the equivalent of winning the BP Crosstown Cup for like 3 or 4 years in a row.  It will always be a lesser accomplishment and have a huge asterisk on it, especially when (inevitably) star players go down and large chunks of the 60 game season get lost.

I want to see certain pitchers get innings and certain hitters get ABs.

See you next year!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

The rebuild isn't over until the players finish developing.  Saying the Sox rebuild is over would be like going back to the Eddy Curry / Tyson Chandler draft and saying the Bulls were done rebuilding.

A more apt equivalent would be the 2010 Bulls, when they finally had their young players ready to shine (Rose, Noah), their in house vets (Deng), in house role players (Taj, Omer), supplemented with free agency (Korver, Boozer, Brewer).

2 hours ago, HollywoodTim said:

Probably.  

For us though, I am not saying we should tank, just that we should open up as much playing time as possible for the pieces that matter going forward.  Hopefully in 2021 we have a normal season and we'll be ready to win then.  That was initially the best case scenario plan anyway: win in 2021 after most of the top prospects have made it to the Majors and gotten enough experience.

I think I know where you are coming from. What exactly are the odds of even finishing a season and crowning a World Champ ? Is it 50/50 ? What does everyone think ?

If there is no World Series it does make sense to rid yourself of guys you aren't going to have next year especially if you start the season poorly such as 7 or more games under .500 after 20-25 games. Too short of a season to expect to make up ground. Trouble is you have to play to win. We all wanted to see the off season acquisitions Grandal, Keuchel .Mazara, Cishek, Encarnacion and Gio Gonzalez, combine with our prospects like Kopech. Robert and Madrigal ,combine with guys on the rise (or not) like Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Cease,  Moncada and Eloy. This season was going to be wonderful to behold if it had been normal. Now will be still fun because guys like Dunning and Rodon might pitch from the start of the season. Play for the trophy if you are going to play.Besides there's no guarantee that 2021 is going to be any better .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HollywoodTim said:

We have a great catching tandem...why break it up for a bag of balls?

The impact of a backup catcher is going to be greatly reduced this short season.  Mc Cann might get 25 starts at most.  I think Collins can cover that amount.

If there is a team out there that is short a catcher and got caught off guard without a DH, I would not be hesitant to move him.  He should be attractive on the market as a team wouldn't have to take on much salary to get a starting quality player.

He's gone at the end of the year.  I'd be fine trading those 25 starts for long term value.  I also think he had his career year and I have little confidence he resembles the offensive player we saw in 2019

5 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

The impact of a backup catcher is going to be greatly reduced this short season.  Mc Cann might get 25 starts at most.  I think Collins can cover that amount.

If there is a team out there that is short a catcher and got caught off guard without a DH, I would not be hesitant to move him.  He should be attractive on the market as a team wouldn't have to take on much salary to get a starting quality player.

He's gone at the end of the year.  I'd be fine trading those 25 starts for long term value.  I also think he had his career year and I have little confidence he resembles the offensive player we saw in 2019

I don't think there are going to be many trades. And if there are, returns are going to be minimal. Even the best rentals will get at best interesting guys. I'd count on zero top 150 prospects getting moved. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think there are going to be many trades. And if there are, returns are going to be minimal. Even the best rentals will get at best interesting guys. I'd count on zero top 150 prospects getting moved. 

I agree in that teams won't take on salary.  I do think there will be a movement for the low paid, short term guys who fit a need.

13 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I think just the opposite? If there are games every day and/or doubleheaders, the starting catcher is going to need a break. Think about hockey and goalies that get worn down, need off-days to stay fresh down the start.

And then through in the possibility of losing one or two for 2 weeks to quarantine, and I think we might be in the BEST position to have all of the catching depth we have. That position (and SPs) will be the greatest need for depth this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

The impact of a backup catcher is going to be greatly reduced this short season.  Mc Cann might get 25 starts at most.

25/60 starts, or 42%, is a lot. That isn't a reduction of a backup catcher's impact, it's a giant increase.