Masur to replace Ed Farmer in booth

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Masur is okay but it sure would have been nice to have an established, veteran radio voice to call the games. 

Is this more about being cheap or giving a young guy a chance?

I mean he literally was a PxP guy for the Padres for nearly a decade

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superstar Lamar said:

seems like a placeholder hire

I think Wills' contract is up after this season so that may be interesting timing

I would love to have Wills back to call Sox games.  He was the best post game host imho.  That being said, Masur has been good when he has filled in so I have no problem with the move.

Speaking of Dave Wills, I looked up his info and saw in college that he also worked for SportsPhone, a call-in service that provided one minute of sports scores and updates for Chicago.   Haha, I had totally forgot about Sportsphone until I read that and said "Oh Yeah, I remember calling into that to get scores."  Times sure have changed since my first flip phone. ^_^

Edited by wegner

10 minutes ago, WhiteAnkleSox said:

Masur is a pro. I think this will be a major league upgrade for the radio broadcast.

Welcome.  I love that 76 logo!!

ps....Is this Andy? :D

Edited by wegner
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-ennpq-e275     

Sox on 35th podcast. One of their podcasts a bit over an hour long with Andy Masur;

Notable Time Codes:

(3:23) - Masur intro 

(3:52) - Memories of the late Ed Farmer and his impact

(5:54) - Working with Darrin Jackson

(8:28) - Relationships w/broadcast partner

(10:51) - How broadcast career began 

(15:39) - Summer Camps at Guaranteed Rate Field

(20:14 ) - Current vibe around the team

(23:47) - Expectations in shortened 2020 season

(31:08) - Favorite game broadcasted

(38:27) - Initial thoughts on the 2020 schedule

(41:48) - White Sox DH situation

(43:17) - Rick Renteria's strategy with rule changes and a shortened season

(50:22) - Rapid-fire predictions 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, chetkincaid said:

Masur is okay but it sure would have been nice to have an established, veteran radio voice to call the games. 

Is this more about being cheap or giving a young guy a chance?

Cheap Cheap Cheap Cheap Cheap.

What else ?

A dynamic well-heeled ownership group is going to be needed to keep this team in tact in a few years. It will be terrible for the base to have sat through the honing-skills phase only to watch the finished products flourish elsewhere.

I still envision a south loop ballpark. Absolutely sinful the visionless Reinsdorf didn't take Mayor Washington up on his offer to anchor this up and coming area.  And all that tourist revenue too boot. 

Edited by GradMc

8 minutes ago, GradMc said:

What else ?

A dynamic well-heeled ownership group is going to be needed to keep this team in tact in a few years. It will be terrible for the base to have sat through the honing-skills phase only to watch the finished products flourish elsewhere.

I still envision a south loop ballpark. Absolutely sinful the visionless Reinsdorf didn't take Mayor Washington up on his offer to anchor this up and coming area.  And all that tourist revenue too boot. 

Not taking the South Loop offer from the City of Chicago has to be the biggest mistake in JRs ownership. JR wanted to move to Dupage County/Addison and have the stadium built on land that he owned. JR would have had tax benefits as long as that stadium was there.

58 minutes ago, GradMc said:

What else ?

Except Masur IS an experienced MLB broadcaster.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

What else ?

He is established. Besides, Farmer died unexpectedly on April 1. Kind of hard to get the kind of "established" guy you are looking for after the season was supposed to start. I think Masur is good. The team makes hardly anything on radio broadcasts. They aren't going to spend a ton of money bringing a big name in. That's for TV.