Sox planning on having fans present in small amounts

southsider2k5

Wow this is amazing for those of us willing to take the risk. Beyond the obvious question of how this would be implemented/enforced what is the MLB's stance on this? I thought in the announcement no fans were allowed, or did they say it is up to individual teams?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So if one person tests positive and you allowed the stadium to 20% capacity, is the state prepared to make what, 2500 phone calls in a day for contact tracing and isolate 7800 people for a week?

lmao.  Did you forget who the President is?

• Like 1

As long as our numbers in Illinois stay low/continue to decrease, I see no reason you can't have a small number of fans at games. The City and state are opening back up, and provided all the health/phase guidelines are followed, it seems some level of attendance at outdoor sporting events (I can't imagine this being allowed inside the United Center at this point), is reasonable

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

As long as our numbers in Illinois stay low/continue to decrease, I see no reason you can't have a small number of fans at games. The City and state are opening back up, and provided all the health/phase guidelines are followed, it seems some level of attendance at outdoor sporting events (I can't imagine this being allowed inside the United Center at this point), is reasonable

That's literally how Texas justified re-opening stuff including athletic facilities, and now they have an out of control outbreak. So what is your state going to do that Texas didn't do to make sure that continues happening? Everything we're seeing right now was baked into the cake in May, so you wait weeks before you see the damage you did.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's literally how Texas justified re-opening stuff including athletic facilities, and now they have an out of control outbreak. So what is your state going to do that Texas didn't do to make sure that continues happening? Everything we're seeing right now was baked into the cake in May, so you wait weeks before you see the damage you did.

We've had possibly the strictest and longest lockdown, plus a slow, phased re-opening here in Illinois. I'm guessing you don't live here but our curve looks like what you see in Europe, not like Texas or Florida. And public health officials have had basically complete control over the re-opening process here. Comparing Illinois to states like Texas and Florida that locked down for about 10 days is pretty misguided.

And obviously that are certain markers with regards to testing/cases that have to be met before attendance at outdoor sporting events here is possible. So just because the Sox plan on it, it doesn't mean it will happen. Ultimately the Illinois and City public health depts have to give the go ahead

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

We've had possibly the strictest and longest lockdown, plus a slow, phased re-opening here in Illinois. I'm guessing you don't live here but our curve looks like what you see in Europe, not like Texas or Florida. And public health officials have had basically complete control over the re-opening process here. Comparing Illinois to states like Texas and Florida that locked down for about 10 days is pretty misguided.

And obviously that are certain markers with regards to testing/cases that have to be met before attendance at outdoor sporting events here is possible. So just because the Sox plan on it, it doesn't mean it will happen. Ultimately the Illinois and City public health depts have to give the go ahead

There’s literally several cases last weekend at a golf tournament. 

Texas was idiotic and I said so at the time. Allowing even 4000 fans into a ballpark is idiotic. It works as long as you have 0 sick people come in.

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

As someone in New York City, gonna say you're not the strictest nor longest.

Possibly second.

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Texas was idiotic and I said so at the time. Allowing even 4000 fans into a ballpark is idiotic. It works as long as you have 0 sick people come in.

So even by optimistic timelines let's say we have a vaccine early 2021. Next year can we have fans? How do you prove those who come to games are vaccinated? What if there is a new strain or virus? Do we just cancel large events forever due to the chance of 1 person out of 35,000 potentially carrying something?

Let’s pretend that it’s a maximum of “only” 5,000 fans. Let’s further stipulate that they use 5 gates for entry, and assign 1,000 fans to a specific gate to even it out. 1,000 fans lining up for security x 6 ft. of space between them is a line over a mile long at each of the five gates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

You mean the Walt Disney Company is pretty powerful...