Sox planning on having fans present in small amounts

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But it’s safe for 8000 fans. We promise. Bennetti is just more important than them.

Quit whining. It's time for baseball already. You bet your ass I'll be throwing back some cold ones with the boys at a handful of Sox games this year.  

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But it’s safe for 8000 fans. We promise. Bennetti is just more important than them.

I can actually remember simulated road games in the 60's on the radio with Joe Cullinane calling the AAA Rochester Red Wings. The announcer would get the plays info sent by tickertape and embellish his descriptions with sound effects. You might hear a random fan yelling 'black lives matter' in the background. I learned the Orioles way following that team. One night Earl Weaver gave me a lineup card before his promotion. Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer are going to work their road games from the Wrigley booth and I expect some old radio stories will be exhumed. 

On 6/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Balta1701 said:

So if one person tests positive and you allowed the stadium to 20% capacity, is the state prepared to make what, 2500 phone calls in a day for contact tracing and isolate 7800 people for a week?

Seems excessive considering how unlikely it is for one person to come into contact with the other 8000 and the low death rate and high asymptomatic rates

• Thanks 1

Has there been any actual clarity on what the Sox plan to do?  Yes? No?  Any further info from the Mayor and or Governor?

Can we change the title to reflect that a Cubs fan radio blowhard suggested that the Sox might allow fans into park, but has no real intel to back his baseless statement instead?

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Has there been any actual clarity on what the Sox plan to do?  Yes? No?  Any further info from the Mayor and or Governor?

Can we change the title to reflect that a Cubs fan radio blowhard suggested that the Sox might allow fans into park, but has no real intel to back his baseless statement instead?

This isn't actually the truth though so, no. When was it denied? I've heard similar to Danny. He never reported that it was happening. He said that the White Sox are planning on having fans in the stands this year that's true. So are the Cubs. The governor is allowing it at 20% capacity. The mayor is not as of now. They won't have games for 4 weeks though. If Illinois' numbers stay where they are and Lightfoot allows it, the Sox will absolutely let 8K people into the ballpark as another revenue stream. One month from now, filling a stadium in Illinois at 1/5 capacity won't seem as crazy as it one month ago. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Seems excessive considering how unlikely it is for one person to come into contact with the other 8000 and the low death rate and high asymptomatic rates

One person would not infect the whole ballpark, but if they take their mask off to eat some peanuts and cheer, or cough while they’re in the bathroom, they might infect 5-30, and you don’t have any  idea which ones they are. If only 15 of those show symptoms, then the other 15 go to work or bars or restaurants as normal, now you’ve built up another outbreak.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

One person would not infect the whole ballpark, but if they take their mask off to eat some peanuts and cheer, or cough while they’re in the bathroom, they might infect 5-30, and you don’t have any  idea which ones they are. If only 15 of those show symptoms, then the other 15 go to work or bars or restaurants as normal, now you’ve built up another outbreak.

It’s weird.  We know thousands and thousands of people in illinois for example are jumping into Wisconsin and Indiana to vacation, work out and do hosts of activities unprotected.  They all come back every week.  Constant shuttle of disease.  

But publicly, the Sox have to worry about what you are saying.  They have to worry about the contact chains from every 5-30 cough. Yet nobody has to worry about the thousands of contact chains compounded every day across state borders.  

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s weird.  We know thousands and thousands of people in illinois for example are jumping into Wisconsin and Indiana to vacation, work out and do hosts of activities unprotected.  They all come back every week.  Constant shuttle of disease.  

But publicly, the Sox have to worry about what you are saying.  They have to worry about the contact chains from every 5-30 cough. Yet nobody has to worry about the thousands of contact chains compounded every day across state borders.  

Every time you say "it's weird", it turns out to not be weird. Of course health departments have to worry about that. That's why you need to limit major events, because if 1 person picks it up it's a problem but not a crisis and local health departments can work to contain that and slow the spread, but if 50 people pick it up in an area you have a major problem. It's also why it's so important to get the total case loads low and keep them there, because otherwise it re-ignites, as you can see everywhere across the south.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I would love to go, but I'm not risking it having two kids. I really want to see Kopech, Robert and Yoan. It's not smart though people. Until there's a vaccine, it will never be smart. Look at Texas and Florida.

Just tired of reading this.   Vaccines aren't magic.  There is no guarantee we will have one, let alone one that will actually work against this disease.   We have to stop living in bubble.  If medicine and government see that it's reasonable to have gatherings at 20% right now, then go for it.   Take the proper measures (face mask, distancing, washing hands) and move forward.  If you're still concerned, then stay home and come out in 2025.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Just tired of reading this.   Vaccines aren't magic.  There is no guarantee we will have one, let alone one that will actually work against this disease.   We have to stop living in bubble.  If medicine and government see that it's reasonable to have gatherings at 20% right now, then go for it.   Take the proper measures (face mask, distancing, washing hands) and move forward.  If you're still concerned, then stay home and come out in 2025.  

20% is the giveaway it isn’t very safe. There is no way to social distance going into the park, leaving the park, going to the bathroom, at concession stands...Once they give the all clear for normal activity, that is when I will return. Until then, I have a great TV. Mask wearing will also be an issue. I am sure they will require them, but people will take them off when they sit down.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pcq said:

There is no good solution right now but plenty of fools who won't respect us enough to wear masks. Deal with it and be grateful you live in such a free country. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with the sentiment in your comment, but I hope you see the glaring contradiction in it.

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The governments of Texas, Florida, and Arizona declares that things were safe in April. They got praise from the president repeatedly, and Texas’s governor said he got specific approval for his reopening timeline from Dr. Birx. How’d that work out?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The governments of Texas, Florida, and Arizona declares that things were safe in April. They got praise from the president repeatedly, and Texas’s governor said he got specific approval for his reopening timeline from Dr. Birx. How’d that work out?

You definitely have the right attitude on this. In the end economic recovery is more important than peoples lives. What these governments fail to realize is that true economic recovery can't occur until people can move about again without fear. Short sightedness is the true enemy.

Compare Covid to the story line in Jaws. The mayor and city council pressured the M.E. to change the cause of death of the 1st victim from shark attack to boating accident. Then they caught a shark and yay problem solved all for the sake of economics because it was tourist season. Very short sighted and foolish thinking and as we watch Jaws we all realized that. Covid is Jaws. It's Jurassic Park. It might not be as obvious or frightening to us as a Great White Shark or T-Rex but the devastation is just as tragic.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Or you begin building up a herd immunity to the virus.

we’re not getting a vaccine any time soon. It took 10 years to get one for h1n1.  We’re better off having healthy people go back to the way things were while at risk populations quarantine. Develop enough immunity and we can slow the spread to vulnerable populations. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Or you begin building up a herd immunity to the virus.

we’re not getting a vaccine any time soon. It took 10 years to get one for h1n1.  We’re better off having healthy people go back to the way things were while at risk populations quarantine. Develop enough immunity and we can slow the spread to vulnerable populations. 

The outbreaks at nursing homes and jails should show that you can't completely isolate at risk populations.

There's definitely a safe way to do this - it would also need 100% cooperation from those attending. 

You open all gates - 6,000 fans. Masks required in line to get in, temperature check, etc. Masks required on concourse, bathrooms, any half open air area. No masks in seats ... but also distanced - and must sit in assigned seats. I think there's a way in this day and age (even not in a pandemic) for the Sox to pair with a technology company to produce "food to go"/pick-up. Order on your app, pay on your app, and pick up from a designated area. This should be done already. Someone needs to "Aldi" the concessions. We all stand in line to order the same 8 items and it's amazingly slow. But that's a different conversation for a different day. Anyways, I truly think there's a way to do it. And likewise i think the Sox could host tailgate parties for up to say ... 1,000 as well. Big screen, parking lot, again, all social distanced.. you park your car -- 2-3 spots in between, like a drive in theater. There's ways to drive revenue - and there would be demand. Consult with all the doctors (as i'm sure they already are) and execute a plan. Enforcement of plan is just as important. Be like the Wrigley Field ushers checking tickets -- but with enforcing mask wearing. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

You open all gates - 6,000 fans. Masks required in line to get in, temperature check, etc.

Would those fans be lined up 6 feet apart at the gates for entry, security and temperature checks? Assuming an even distribution of fans:gates, (6,000 fans / 5 gates x 6 ft) each entry line is 1.3 miles long.

Edited by Hamhock

24 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Would those fans be lined up 6 feet apart at the gates for entry, security and temperature checks? Assuming an even distribution of fans:gates, (6,000 fans / 5 gates x 6 ft) each entry line is 1.3 miles long.

Only if they show up all at once and aren't staggered over the 1.5 hours the gates open before the start of a game.

• Like 1