Sox planning on having fans present in small amounts

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

Baseball has the right to relocate teams due to the pandemic.

Seeing as Texas is currently setting record numbers of cases and may re-enter a shutdown, no. 

The governor has already given permission four outdoor sporting events to take place with 20% capacity. We have people attending youth sports events outside every weekend. I'd bet on 8K people being able to watch baseball in August at this point. We've earned this in Illinois with our response IMO. Diligence and protocols must continue throughout this phased re-opening though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Let’s pretend that it’s a maximum of “only” 5,000 fans. Let’s further stipulate that they use 5 gates for entry, and assign 1,000 fans to a specific gate to even it out. 1,000 fans lining up for security x 6 ft. of space between them is a line over a mile long at each of the five gates.

That would be awful. Chances are if it's only 5,000 fans there will be very few bathrooms available, very few concessions. I never thought of that before. Not much fun or not as much fun anyway. If it takes forever to get in the park, no thanks. With just 5,000 fans they should just make parking free (they won't I know). I mean with just 5,000 fans a game, why bother charging for parking? Would be a nice gesture.

Not White Sox, nor Chicago, but the Joliet Slammers announced they will be hosting a four team tournament starting in mid-July after the Frontier League announced their season was cancelled.  Each team will play 27 games through early September.  At 20% capacity, there will be about 1400 tickets sold for each game.  The teams will be made up of Frontier League players from other teams and MiLB players.  It will probably be some quality baseball to watch, but I bet tickets sell pretty quickly.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

Yes, Texas currently says you can have 50% capacity of fans at sporting events.

Texas has also filled the largest hospital in the world with covid cases in a period of about 3 weeks. These rules are how we got that accomplishment.

Our governor is quite literally working on behalf of the coronavirus. Giving it 15000 people walking in crowds, cheering, eating in a single area? It’s a gift to the virus. The fact that Texas thought this was a good idea should be a gigantic warning sign. Do the opposite of what this governor did. Every time. It’s the only smart thing you can do. 

12 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

So even by optimistic timelines let's say we have a vaccine early 2021. Next year can we have fans? How do you prove those who come to games are vaccinated? What if there is a new strain or virus? Do we just cancel large events forever due to the chance of 1 person out of 35,000 potentially carrying something?

1. This virus has not mutated rapidly, not in a way that fundamentally changes its mode of attack so far, so that does suggest that a new strain is a limited worry. If there was a new strain that eliminated immunity, then we will have no choice but to continue emergency protocols longer. The longer this virus is out there and the more people it infects, the more chances there are for that to happen, stressing the importance of beating it soon.

2. From a public health perspective, if 60-70% of people have been given a vaccine, that is enough to start breaking chains. So maybe an infected person comes to the ballpark and they infect 5 unvaccinated people (instead of the 15 they might hit right now), but each of those chains breaks within a week or two because it can’t travel to vaccinated people. Once that happens, then as people recover, the virus starts to die away, and you actually win the fight. The team might still have some liability in that case but it doesn’t turn into a new spreading nightmare if the wrong person comes in.

This thing moves so quickly that one mistake in the wrong spot turns into dozens of cases, and if you don’t stop it then those cases are hundreds, then thousands, and all the work you thought you did is gone.

Is it worth another 3 month statewide lockdown to have fans for 60 games? 

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

That would be awful. Chances are if it's only 5,000 fans there will be very few bathrooms available, very few concessions. I never thought of that before. Not much fun or not as much fun anyway. If it takes forever to get in the park, no thanks. With just 5,000 fans they should just make parking free (they won't I know). I mean with just 5,000 fans a game, why bother charging for parking? Would be a nice gesture.

Then stay home

• Like 1

Strictly enforced mask requirements plus figuring out how to safely handle concessions + bathrooms and you can probably have limited number of fans in an outdoor stadium without a significant risk of spread.

We saw lots of mask-wearing protesters close together outside in cities across the country, and none of those cities are seeing protest-related outbreaks. Instead, we're still seeing them from indoor restaurants/bars and maskless family/friend gatherings.

(wear your dang masks)

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Strictly enforced mask requirements plus figuring out how to safely handle concessions + bathrooms and you can probably have limited number of fans in an outdoor stadium without a significant risk of spread.

We saw lots of mask-wearing protesters close together outside in cities across the country, and none of those cities are seeing protest-related outbreaks. Instead, we're still seeing them from indoor restaurants/bars and maskless family/friend gatherings.

(wear your dang masks)

Right. 

Also zone the stadium. assign bathrooms. Simplify the menu and have only certain food per zone or if possible make everything brought to the people a la in the club section.

There are definitely ways to do it but the worst parts about it are definitely the bathroom situation and concourse. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Our governor is quite literally working on behalf of the coronavirus. Giving it 15000 people walking in crowds, cheering, eating in a single area? It’s a gift to the virus.

Yeah and the Champions Classic of course is indoors. I guess the fact it's still a ways away in November has kept them from calling it off already. But it seems it'll be a miracle if this thing tapers off during traditional flu season.

I would support allowing 20% of capacity with mask being required.  Develop a seating plan much like churches and restaurants are doing.  If you don't feel that is safe enough...don't go.  If you don't want to wear a mask...don't go.  If the bathroom and concession set up is unsatisfactory to you...stay home.  Time to allow people to make some decisions on their own.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I would support allowing 20% of capacity with mask being required.  Develop a seating plan much like churches and restaurants are doing.  If you don't feel that is safe enough...don't go.  If you don't want to wear a mask...don't go.  If the bathroom and concession set up is unsatisfactory to you...stay home.  Time to allow people to make some decisions on their own.  

After all, it's not like you pose any danger to anyone else if you catch it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

After all, it's not like you pose any danger to anyone else if you catch it. 

You pose a danger to others when you drive your car.  I don't favor hiding in the basement until "it's safe to come out."  America won't be here when it's safe to return to normal by some people's standards.  Play ball!

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

You pose a danger to others when you drive your car.  I don't favor hiding in the basement until "it's safe to come out."  America won't be here when it's safe to return to normal by some people's standards.  Play ball!

You currently pose a danger to me because this strawman argument is giving me such a headache I'm at risk of overdosing on Advil.

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

It's not just that. It's also that we need to start being concerned with peoples mental health as well. The number of suicides and deaths due to overdoses as significantly increased.  The domestic abuse incidents has skyrocketed.  The reports of child abuse has decreased by nearly 70% on Illinois because no one is seeing the kids to report it. Think of the lifetime of damage being done to the people.

I realize that the incidence of the virus will increase when things start to return to "more normal" vit there comes a time when it will do society as a whole more good to get out.

I may be naive but I think sporting events will help with society's mental health. Most of the major sports are opening toward the end of July. Hopefully being able to go in small numbers will help people. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not just that. It's also that we need to start being concerned with peoples mental health as well. The number of suicides and deaths due to overdoses as significantly increased.  The domestic abuse incidents has skyrocketed.  The reports of child abuse has decreased by nearly 70% on Illinois because no one is seeing the kids to report it. Think of the lifetime of damage being done to the people.

I realize that the incidence of the virus will increase when things start to return to "more normal" vit there comes a time when it will do society as a whole more good to get out.

I may be naive but I think sporting events will help with society's mental health. Most of the major sports are opening toward the end of July. Hopefully being able to go in small numbers will help people. 

How much have suicides and OD's increased?  I know that is a nice talking point, but have never actually seen anyone provide any sort of proof.I have no problem opening places up little by little, but at least make people, yes make them as in a law, wear a mask in public, until this this is actually contained. Write tickets for not conforming. If by me is any indication, you will have no problem collecting money.

Edited by Dick Allen

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How much have suicides and OD's increased? I have no problem opening places up little by little, but at least make people, yes make them as in a law, wear a mask in public, until this this is actually contained. Write tickets for not conforming. If by me is any indication, you will have no problem collecting money.

No doubt. I'm not advocating just "return to normal." Just that it should slowly increase. Illinois seems to have finally done something right. 

We went on a trip to Colorado to pick up my daughter and there were hundreds of people at devils tower. I couldn't believe the number.  Iowa and Colorado are allowing people in restaurants at a small capacity. It where Illinois is going I think.

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

During the “negotiations” that ended with no deal, the owners seemed to think there would be no fans. Now maybe some fans. Seems a bit suspicious to me.

Any time Chicago politicians are involved, you are right to be suspicious.

Edited by turnin' two