Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Sox planning on having fans present in small amounts

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Count me in.

"Llimited number of fans in the stands"...sounds like a normal year.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is amazing for those of us willing to take the risk. Beyond the obvious question of how this would be implemented/enforced what is the MLB's stance on this? I thought in the announcement no fans were allowed, or did they say it is up to individual teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if one person tests positive and you allowed the stadium to 20% capacity, is the state prepared to make what, 2500 phone calls in a day for contact tracing and isolate 7800 people for a week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

"Llimited number of fans in the stands"...sounds like a normal year.

Hi Cub fan.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Neat. Stay safe you folks that attend.

Can't wait to see my first Sox game on my Christmas present TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So if one person tests positive and you allowed the stadium to 20% capacity, is the state prepared to make what, 2500 phone calls in a day for contact tracing and isolate 7800 people for a week?

lmao.  Did you forget who the President is?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

lmao.  Did you forget who the President is?

This is a state/local thing right now and they'd be the ones who have to run it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as our numbers in Illinois stay low/continue to decrease, I see no reason you can't have a small number of fans at games. The City and state are opening back up, and provided all the health/phase guidelines are followed, it seems some level of attendance at outdoor sporting events (I can't imagine this being allowed inside the United Center at this point), is reasonable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

As long as our numbers in Illinois stay low/continue to decrease, I see no reason you can't have a small number of fans at games. The City and state are opening back up, and provided all the health/phase guidelines are followed, it seems some level of attendance at outdoor sporting events (I can't imagine this being allowed inside the United Center at this point), is reasonable

That's literally how Texas justified re-opening stuff including athletic facilities, and now they have an out of control outbreak. So what is your state going to do that Texas didn't do to make sure that continues happening? Everything we're seeing right now was baked into the cake in May, so you wait weeks before you see the damage you did.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's literally how Texas justified re-opening stuff including athletic facilities, and now they have an out of control outbreak. So what is your state going to do that Texas didn't do to make sure that continues happening? Everything we're seeing right now was baked into the cake in May, so you wait weeks before you see the damage you did.

We've had possibly the strictest and longest lockdown, plus a slow, phased re-opening here in Illinois. I'm guessing you don't live here but our curve looks like what you see in Europe, not like Texas or Florida. And public health officials have had basically complete control over the re-opening process here. Comparing Illinois to states like Texas and Florida that locked down for about 10 days is pretty misguided.

And obviously that are certain markers with regards to testing/cases that have to be met before attendance at outdoor sporting events here is possible. So just because the Sox plan on it, it doesn't mean it will happen. Ultimately the Illinois and City public health depts have to give the go ahead

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

We've had possibly the strictest and longest lockdown, plus a slow, phased re-opening here in Illinois. I'm guessing you don't live here but our curve looks like what you see in Europe, not like Texas or Florida. And public health officials have had basically complete control over the re-opening process here. Comparing Illinois to states like Texas and Florida that locked down for about 10 days is pretty misguided.

And obviously that are certain markers with regards to testing/cases that have to be met before attendance at outdoor sporting events here is possible. So just because the Sox plan on it, it doesn't mean it will happen. Ultimately the Illinois and City public health depts have to give the go ahead

There’s literally several cases last weekend at a golf tournament. 

Texas was idiotic and I said so at the time. Allowing even 4000 fans into a ballpark is idiotic. It works as long as you have 0 sick people come in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the temptation I will have to go to these games. I would love to see Robert's debut, Madrigal's debut, Kopech's return, Sox/Cubs games. I would rather they just say no all together otherwise I'll have some major FOMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

We've had possibly the strictest and longest lockdown, plus a slow, phased re-opening here in Illinois. I'm guessing you don't live here but our curve looks like what you see in Europe, not like Texas or Florida. And public health officials have had basically complete control over the re-opening process here. Comparing Illinois to states like Texas and Florida that locked down for about 10 days is pretty misguided.

And obviously that are certain markers with regards to testing/cases that have to be met before attendance at outdoor sporting events here is possible. So just because the Sox plan on it, it doesn't mean it will happen. Ultimately the Illinois and City public health depts have to give the go ahead

As someone in New York City, gonna say you're not the strictest nor longest.

Possibly second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s literally several cases last weekend at a golf tournament. 

Texas was idiotic and I said so at the time. Allowing even 4000 fans into a ballpark is idiotic. It works as long as you have 0 sick people come in.

So even by optimistic timelines let's say we have a vaccine early 2021. Next year can we have fans? How do you prove those who come to games are vaccinated? What if there is a new strain or virus? Do we just cancel large events forever due to the chance of 1 person out of 35,000 potentially carrying something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s pretend that it’s a maximum of “only” 5,000 fans. Let’s further stipulate that they use 5 gates for entry, and assign 1,000 fans to a specific gate to even it out. 1,000 fans lining up for security x 6 ft. of space between them is a line over a mile long at each of the five gates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s literally several cases last weekend at a golf tournament. 

Texas was idiotic and I said so at the time. Allowing even 4000 fans into a ballpark is idiotic. It works as long as you have 0 sick people come in.

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hey Balta, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Duke bring their wild, enthusiastic legion of fans to the Champions Classic to the United Center on Nov. 10. I'm not trying to rip you just ask your kind opinion. Do you think Lightfoot will announce soon no way on that one-night event? Or do you think it has a chance of being OKed and played via approval from the mayor the Illinois governor? ESPN is pretty powerful as u know.

Also ... I thought I read somewhere I think it was Texas that has OK'ed 50 percent capacity for sporting events? So I wonder if baseball would allow that for Rangers games and Stros games? Thanx in advance for your opinion. I ask you cause you seem a bit alarmed about even the Sox allowing 4,000 fans.

You mean the Walt Disney Company is pretty powerful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save me a seat in the upper corner of the upper deck.  Think any beer vendors will head my way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×