Rule 5 changed

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Next CBA, hopefully the Rule 5 will go away forever. Antiquated. 

I still like it because it prevents teams from keeping prospects down too long and use the minors as a reserve for mlb ready players.

I would slightly adjust the times though, make it 6 years for HS and international kids and 4 years for college players because 5 years can be too little for international guys (who are only 21-22 after 5 years) while for college players 5 years is plenty (they are like 25-27 after 5 years).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

I still like it because it prevents teams from keeping prospects down too long and use the minors as a reserve for mlb ready players.

I would slightly adjust the times though, make it 6 years for HS and international kids and 4 years for college players because 5 years can be too little for international guys (who are only 21-22 after 5 years) while for college players 5 years is plenty (they are like 25-27 after 5 years).

I just don’t like the part about it that the player is required to be on the active roster all season or be offered back to the original club for 50k, or whatever it is. There are probably better and more creative ways to have players get opportunities if their original club doesn’t want him.

4 hours ago, flavum said:

I just don’t like the part about it that the player is required to be on the active roster all season or be offered back to the original club for 50k, or whatever it is. There are probably better and more creative ways to have players get opportunities if their original club doesn’t want him.

It is a really dumb rule, especially because so many of these guys get "injured" and sit on the D.L. most of the year.