Sox summer camp roster announced

southsider2k5

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Well that throws a wrench into things if his heart is no longer into baseball....

SP was already an issue. If true this would make it even more of a problem. Maybe that's why they made it a 2 round draft and double dipped on SP's

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

This may sound insensitive or careless, but since the surgery, things have seemed off with Kopech. He never joined the team last year and instead hiked up rocks in Arizona, he deleted his twitter and now he isn't in camp. I don't know. I'm sure I'm overreacting

I'm pretty sure I saw him in the dugout last summer later in the season.  I know he wasn't with the team 24/7 during rehab, but I never read anything into it.

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I'm pretty sure I saw him in the dugout last summer later in the season.  I know he wasn't with the team 24/7 during rehab, but I never read anything into it.

Maybe? I could've swore I read the Sox allowed him to stay away and rehab per his request, but I suppose I could be wrong. I didn't watch as many games as I usually do- I probably missed 60 or so- but I never saw him in the dugout. I could be wrong.

Hopefully the activist thing got misconstrued and he doesn't want to be one full time or whatever but instead he's helping his wife with some things. IIRC, she is black.

Edited by soxfan49

Hard for me to put much stock in a supposed deleted tweet, especially without someone screen grabbing it somewhere. That aside, if Michael forgoes baseball to get into a full-time activism role somewhere, good on fucking him. What a noble and selfless pursuit. I would selfishly be sad that he's not pitching for my favorite baseball team for a bit, but I would also respect and be immensely proud of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hard for me to put much stock in a supposed deleted tweet, especially without someone screen grabbing it somewhere. That aside, if Michael forgoes baseball to get into a full-time activism role somewhere, good on fucking him. What a noble and selfless pursuit. I would selfishly be sad that he's not pitching for my favorite baseball team for a bit, but I would also respect and be immensely proud of him.

I couldn't agree more. It would suck, but if he can put an end to some of the racist and/or sexist garbage that exists in the world, I'll be a fan for life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Even scarier and no one is talking about it: CHESLOR CUTHBERT IS ABSENT 

But In all seriousness I hope everything is good with both of these guys. Crazy times we are living in

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Kopechs first game at the Rate was obscenely fun. I cant imagine he didnt enjoy the heck out of that and want more of it for a career. Seems like it would be super addictive... hoping for the best for Michael, though. 

It was fun. People react weird sometimes to their first true injury.  Not even counting this, he really seemed to change after it.

I don’t really buy the activism thing. He will have more of a voice and platform as an athlete. It’s honorable to want to be an activist for important topics but quitting MLB will weaken his influence in my opinion.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It was fun. People react weird sometimes to their first true injury.  Not even counting this, he really seemed to change after it.

Just to refresh everyone's memory: Various Kopech stories leading up to and including his spring debut. These are gearde more to getting quotes about his baseball only state of mind post surgery as he approached throwing competitively again.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/9/26/20886214/tommy-john-surgery-best-thing-to-happen-white-sox-michael-kopech-says

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-michael-kopech-haircut-20200122-qludkcny7zagpiz5qbwjwbxbtu-story.html

https://www.mlb.com/news/michael-kopech-makes-spring-debut

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffarnold/2020/03/09/as-white-sox-push-for-contention-michael-kopech-returns-to-form/#1d09ea934f92

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I don’t really buy the activism thing. He will have more of a voice and platform as an athlete. It’s honorable to want to be an activist for important topics but quitting MLB will weaken his influence in my opinion.

You said that much better than I did a few posts earlier.

51 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Not to mention all the money he could donate. Kopech does seem to be a free spirit and is capable of quitting, but I also think he likes his celebrity status. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The tweets are from accounts with like 8 numbers in the handles. That should be red flag #1 that it's just people (probably Cubs fans or miserable Sox fans) trolling. I hope Kopech and his family are ok, but I doubt this personal issue has anything to do with retirement

• Like 1

Maybe his wife or a close family member has COVID. I know Hahn said he’s health, but a covid relates cause seems more likely than this whole his heart isn’t in the game any longer business. 

In any event, I hope he’s alright and returns soon. But if he doesn’t, please option him and don’t IL if he doesn’t come back right away. He’ll eventually come back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Orlando said:

^^^^

• Thanks 1