Predict the White Sox 30 man opening roster

Y2Jimmy0

16 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

16 seems like a lot of pitchers. No thanks to Detweiler ever again. And I just don’t think Fulmer can hack it, although I understand that he will be give a shot to start the season. 

I’d like to see another athletic OF’er that can play D and run instead of Detweiler, but not sure that guy is ready and in the organization currently. Madrigal will take over for a P or Cuthbert eventually. 

Early on, with starting pitchers not throwing deep into games, managers are going to use a ton of pitchers game to game. Some relievers won't be as available early on in B2B games also. 16 is crazy, but gives the manager a ton of flexibility game to game and manage inning to inning while allowing the staff to build up.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes  but my point is you can't really play the service time game and say he needs to improve in the minors. If you're going to call him up after whatever date it is you need for him to stay down (what, 6-7 games?) , you might as well start him in the majors on opening day.

I guess I'm doubting that he would file a grievance over those 6 or 7 games unless the players union strongly urges him .

18 minutes ago, spiderman said:

He's not good, but, with expanded rosters, someone is going to be needed to throw garbage innings for games that get out of hand. I'd much rather throw him out there in the 3rd inning if the White Sox are down 7-1.

That person’s name is Carson Fulmer and he’s already on the 40 man roster and has no options.  I just don’t see Detwiler being a fit unless players opt-out / get quarantined.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That person’s name is Carson Fulmer and he’s already on the 40 man roster and has no options.  I just don’t see Detwiler being a fit unless players opt-out / get quarantined.

Is he still being stretched out or more of a 1 inning guy? Detwiler is awful so if Fulmer can fill that role, fine by me.

16 hours ago, spiderman said:

He's not good, but, with expanded rosters, someone is going to be needed to throw garbage innings for games that get out of hand. I'd much rather throw him out there in the 3rd inning if the White Sox are down 7-1.

With our new and improved lineup...we are not out of a 7-1 game.😀

• Like 1

To me it seems like there are 26 roster locks at the moment: 

Pitchers

Lucas Giolito

Dallas Keuchel

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Dylan Cease

Gio Gonzales

Alex Colome

Kelvin Herrera

Steve Cishek

Aaron Bummer

Jace Fry

Carson Fulmer

Evan Marshall

Jimmy Cordero 

Position Players 

Jose Abreu

Edwin Encarnacion

Tim Anderson

Yoan Moncada

Leury Garcia

Danny Mendick

Yasmani Grandal

James McCann

Eloy Jimenez

Luis Robert

Nomar Mazara

Adam Engel

4 spots remaining for the opener. I'm guessing 1 catcher, 1 position player and 2 more relievers. 

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

To me it seems like there are 26 roster locks at the moment: 

Pitchers

Lucas Giolito

Dallas Keuchel

Carlos Rodon

Reynaldo Lopez

Dylan Cease

Gio Gonzales

Alex Colome

Kelvin Herrera

Steve Cishek

Aaron Bummer

Jace Fry

Carson Fulmer

Evan Marshall

Jimmy Cordero 

Position Players 

Jose Abreu

Edwin Encarnacion

Tim Anderson

Yoan Moncada

Leury Garcia

Danny Mendick

Yasmani Grandal

James McCann

Eloy Jimenez

Luis Robert

Nomar Mazara

Adam Engel

4 spots remaining for the opener. I'm guessing 1 catcher, 1 position player and 2 more relievers. 

Collins will definitely make it. If they are gonna squeeze 60 games into like 61 days that's rough, they will need a third catcher who can work a 1B/DH rotation with Abreu and Encarnacion esp since the division is filled with righties.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Hamilton is close to a lock given he’s on the 40 man roster already.  Not sure who the other pitcher might be though.  Fegan predicted Dunning and that was before Kopech opted out, and I could then including him (if healthy) until rosters get called down to 28.  I think Cuthbert is the one guy not on the 40 man who is very likely to be given a spot (assuming they wait a week to call up Madrigal).  And I think Collins gets that catcher spot so they have a left-handed bat off the bench.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Hamilton is close to a lock given he’s on the 40 man roster already.  Not sure who the other pitcher might be though.  Fegan predicted Dunning and that was before Kopech opted out, and I could then including him (if healthy) until rosters get called down to 28.  I think Cuthbert is the one guy not on the 40 man who is very likely to be given a spot (assuming they wait a week to call up Madrigal).  And I think Collins gets that catcher spot so they have a left-handed bat off the bench.

The bullpen could have some surprises for sure if not on opening day surely as the season progresses. Lambert could be in the mix , Dunning too as you mentioned. Fulmer hasn't done anything yet to think he wouldn't make it. I keep hoping he finds it. It's not like he has bad stuff. Quite the contrary  he just cant control it. If he ever can he will be effective out there.

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Encarnacion, Jimenez, Mazara, Robert, Madrigal 

McCann, Collins, Mendick, Garcia, Engel

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Rodon, Cease

Gonzalez, Hamilton, Marshall, Fulmer, Cordero, Fry, Herrera, Cishek, Bummer, Colome

last spot- Drew Anderson or Ross Detwiler, although Dunning would be cool

My guess as of the moment:

Pitchers

1. Giolito

2. Keuchel

3. Cease

4. Rodon

5. Lopez

6. Gonzalez

7. Bummer

8. Colome

9. Cordero

10. Cishek

11. Marshall

12. Fry

13. Heuer

14. Herrera

15. Fulmer

Position Players

17. Grandal

18. Abreu

19. Mendick

20. Anderson

21. Moncada

22. Jimenez 

23. Robert

24. Mazara

25. Encarnacion

26. Garcia

27. Engel

28. McCann

29. Cuthbert

30. Collins

3 man taxi traveling squad

Dunning, Mercedes, Madrigal*

*Expected to be brought up in place of Cuthbert or Collins once service time issues out of the way. 

3 hours ago, flavum said:

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Encarnacion, Jimenez, Mazara, Robert, Madrigal 

McCann, Collins, Mendick, Garcia, Engel

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Rodon, Cease

Gonzalez, Hamilton, Marshall, Fulmer, Cordero, Fry, Herrera, Cishek, Bummer, Colome

last spot- Drew Anderson or Ross Detwiler, although Dunning would be cool

Drew Anderson or Detwiler would require cutting someone from the 40 man roster.  Doesn’t seem likely to me, especially for guys who would likely be removed from the active roster after two weeks.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Drew Anderson or Detwiler would require cutting someone from the 40 man roster.  Doesn’t seem likely to me, especially for guys who would likely be removed from the active roster after two weeks.

Does Kopech on the restricted list open a spot? 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess I'm doubting that he would file a grievance over those 6 or 7 games unless the players union strongly urges him .

He would have the best case yet (in this exact scenario) though, right? As SoxFan2014 noted, players lose that grievance because the teams have plausible deniability. The player needs to work on some specific skill, and they do that in the minors, then they get called up. With no minors to play in, how is Madrigal supposed to have proved to the team that whatever skill he is supposedly lacking in has been fixed? They also can't use the vague "he needed seasoning/ to see more AAA at-bats/etc." Maybe they could get away with it if the starting 2B or Cuthbert or whoever plays horribly in the first week, but I think Madrigal would have a far stronger case than any minor leaguer so far.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the CBA  but in a season in which Covid is a big concern and finishing the season might be 50/50 maybe that would be a good enough reason  to hold him out for about a month rather than 6 days and see how the season goes , monitor Covid cases throughout the league and if they are rising then you have worries about the season actually finishing . If it's going well then call him up. Maybe Covid is a good enough reason rather than needing to work on something.

I'm not sure a player has ever won a grievance challenging the CBA and perhaps Madrigal would have a better chance in that scenario that there are no minor leagues but then again he Sox could use the reasoning that they didn't want to waste however much of his service time they would lose in a season that had a good chance to be lost without crowning a champion.

Hopefully it doesn't all come to this and everything is cool between Madrigal and the Sox no matter how it plays out.

17 hours ago, gusguyman said:

He would have the best case yet (in this exact scenario) though, right? As SoxFan2014 noted, players lose that grievance because the teams have plausible deniability. The player needs to work on some specific skill, and they do that in the minors, then they get called up. With no minors to play in, how is Madrigal supposed to have proved to the team that whatever skill he is supposedly lacking in has been fixed? They also can't use the vague "he needed seasoning/ to see more AAA at-bats/etc." Maybe they could get away with it if the starting 2B or Cuthbert or whoever plays horribly in the first week, but I think Madrigal would have a far stronger case than any minor leaguer so far.

I think Madrigal is the starting 2nd baseman on opening day.  He is this teams best at the position and that is what will count in the end.  Others said Robert  and or Moncada wouldn't sign an extension because they already had enough money to gamble on themselves.  Those people taking that view were wrong.  TA signed one after being brought up and playing for a while.  RH will get it done IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I think Madrigal is the starting 2nd baseman on opening day.  He is this teams best at the position and that is what will count in the end.  Others said Robert  and or Moncada wouldn't sign an extension because they already had enough money to gamble on themselves.  Those people taking that view were wrong.  TA signed one after being brought up and playing for a while.  RH will get it done IMO.

Wait, are you saying they are going to sign Madrigal to an extension before opening day? Or that they won't but won't play service time games with him?

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

Wait, are you saying they are going to sign Madrigal to an extension before opening day? Or that they won't but won't play service time games with him?

I would think the latter. Really hope they just let he and Robert debut a week from tonight, batting 8th and 9th, and let the good times roll.

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I would think the latter. Really hope they just let he and Robert debut a week from tonight, batting 8th and 9th, and let the good times roll.

Robert should not be hitting 8th. It's possible he could be the best hitter on the team. Maybe he's not there yet, but burying him at the bottom would be a mistake.

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

I am saying he will be the starting 2nd baseman on opening day IMO.  He may sign an extension like some of the other guys or not.  He will get the job because he is the best player we have in the 2nd base position.  It is in his and WS best interest.  As a side note...I think there is an excellent chance he is offered an extension because RH seems to excel at finding the package that fits.