Predict the White Sox 30 man opening roster

Y2Jimmy0

5 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Madrigal still can't even hit the ball out of the infield, and recently, he's been striking out at a pace which would be well above his norm.  The Sox could send him back to AA and he still wouldn't have a case for a grievance.

Easy killer.  I think you are getting out ahead your ski's here.

I think 35 FV Jimmy Lambert is going to have to make the team.  They will need a strong swingman with upside and I think it's his spot to lose.

There really is no case to keep Fulmer.  Heuer should take that spot.

I'm not sure what the situation will be with Gio Gonzalez and Rodon, but I assume at least 1 will be in the pen.

My guess the rotation is Giolito-Keuchel-Lopez-Cease-Rodon with Gio and Lambert in the pen, and Dunning in Schaumburg as the first SP up.

I think Mendick's kickball game last night is an excellent example as to why he either needs to only play 2B for the Sox or not be on the team at all.  They can't rely on him as a UT guy.  I think the choice is either Leury as the 2B and Cuthbert as the UT IF or Mendick as the 2B and Leury as the UT.  Maybe they all are on the 30 man roster but they won't all be on the 26 man roster.

I think also at this point it's a toss up if you take Collins or Yermin.  You don't take both.  Collins burns service time but gets experience.  Yermin is more of the true bench player.  Nobody is going to get any better on the peloton in Schaumburg so maybe you take Collins just because you think you have to.

Engel is on the team even if it annoys people.  It doesn't annoy me and I think he deserves it and is a good fit.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Easy killer.  I think you are getting out ahead your ski's here.

We won't even talk about what Madrigal might have done this ST to beat out Leury because that's too obvious, but what has he done to beat out Mendick, Romine, and Cuthbert?  That's not exactly a murder's row.  His defense and baseball acumen has been lauded over the broadcasts but I can't see what you'd point to that say he's anywhere near MLB ready with the bat.  Madrigal isn't Kris Bryant or Luis Robert or Eloy.  He'll be held back because he's not good enough.

Just now, HollywoodTim said:

We won't even talk about what Madrigal might have done this ST to beat out Leury because that's too obvious, but what has he done to beat out Mendick, Romine, and Cuthbert?  That's not exactly a murder's row.  His defense and baseball acumen has been lauded over the broadcasts but I can't see what you'd point to that say he's anywhere near MLB ready with the bat.  Madrigal isn't Kris Bryant or Luis Robert or Eloy.  He'll be held back because he's not good enough.

Come on man, Mendick?  The same guy who made errors on consecutive plays last night?  Personally I think they do play the service time game with Nick, but putting him on the same planet as Romine and Cuthbert is awful.  Nick came back and has gotten his hits, and most importantly he has made all of the plays in the field.  Personally I do think Cuthbert breaks camp as he can play 3rd, and Nick doesn't, which allows them to keep a guy around to protect Yoan needing some extra rest.  I think Nick gets sent out and is back in a few weeks, not because he isn't ready, but because the Sox want to hold on to the extra year.

9 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Mendick has some pop and really can't be as bad as he showed last night, especially if he is only playing one position and has some of the mental pressure taken off.  And Romine and Cuthbert have MLB experience which definitely counts.

So don;t write off Mendick based on one bad night, but send Madrigal to AA based on three strikeouts in one week.  Got it.

• Thanks 1

1) Mendick was play SS when he had that bad inning.  As I said, I think if he's on the team it is as a 2B only with Leury as the UT guy, and basically a multi-position starter.

2) Nobody lauding Madrigal on the broadcasts has said anything about his bat right now, because they can't, because I'm not sure he's dented a single blade of OF grass this spring/summer.

12 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

1) Mendick was play SS when he had that bad inning.  As I said, I think if he's on the team it is as a 2B only with Leury as the UT guy, and basically a multi-position starter.

2) Nobody lauding Madrigal on the broadcasts has said anything about his bat right now, because they can't, because I'm not sure he's dented a single blade of OF grass this spring/summer.

There aren't many things more useless on a roster than a guy who can only play 2B as a back up.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There aren't many things more useless on a roster than a guy who can only play 2B as a back up.

I would start Mendick.  Otherwise if you start Leury then IMO you need to acquire another true UT guy to take his place, and one who can hit a little bit.

Edited by HollywoodTim

2 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

I would start Mendick.  Otherwise if you start Leury then IMO you need to acquire another true UT guy to take his place, and one who can hit a little bit.

Unless Maraza isn't on the opening day roster, I am going to guess that Leury plays 2nd until Madrigal gets here in a week or two.

When are they announcing the OD roster?  Will be very interesting to see if they open up any 40 man roster spots.  Feels like Heuer should definitely get a spot and if they want to add anyone else (say Delmonico or maybe Cuthbert) someone has got to go.

Seems like the chopping block if a spot is needed would come down to Fulmer (no options), Ruiz (not very good and only one option left), Foster (fringiest talent on roster), or Zavala (5th on the catching depth chart).  I kind of wonder if we’ve seen the last of Carson Fulmer.  IMO, he basically has no chance of being here once rosters are dropped to 26, so maybe they just the rip the band-aid now to allow the roster to carry an extra non-rostered position player while Mazara is out and before Madrigal is up.

HollywoodTim hates Madrigal as much as Ron hates Abreu.

This shortened season is the perfect time to get Madrigal the ABs he needs to get used to MLB pitching.  I imagine that he will start at Schaumburg before making his way to Chicago, but I wish he would break camp with the Sox.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Leury as the starting RF with Mazara on the IL.  That would mean someone else starts at 2B.  Wish it would be Madrigal, but I expect it to be Mendick.

When the team gets down to 26 players, I expect and hope Madrigal to be on the team and playing 2B every day.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

HollywoodTim hates Madrigal as much as Ron hates Abreu.

This shortened season is the perfect time to get Madrigal the ABs he needs to get used to MLB pitching.  I imagine that he will start at Schaumburg before making his way to Chicago, but I wish he would break camp with the Sox.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Leury as the starting RF with Mazara on the IL.  That would mean someone else starts at 2B.  Wish it would be Madrigal, but I expect it to be Mendick.

When the team gets down to 26 players, I expect and hope Madrigal to be on the team and playing 2B every day.

I fully expect Madrigal to be named to the opening day roster today.  He is the best 2nd baseman on the WS team.  Can't be fooling around with a 60 game season.  Every game counts.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I fully expect Madrigal to be named to the opening day roster today.  He is the best 2nd baseman on the WS team.  Can't be fooling around with a 60 game season.  Every game counts.

I would accept Mendick starting as well, but starting Leury at 2nd just seems wrong. Leury isn't a very good infielder at this point in his career and his bat doesn't exactly play to make up for it.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I fully expect you’re wrong. And the Sox are making the right call getting the extra year when it’s like 5 games. Mazara “injury” does open the door a tad tho. 

Don't they get an extra year control if they keep Madrigal out for something like 5 days? That's a no brainer. I hope Nick enjoys Schaumburg. I like him more than most, but he really has no argument about being sent down for a bit. He certainly doesn't have the Kris Bryant argument where he dominated AAA for almost a full season then destroyed everyone in Spring Training, and then lost a greivance.  Madrigal's pre season stats were nothing. He doesn't have much time above A ball. Get the extra year.

Edited by Dick Allen

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would accept Mendick starting as well, but starting Leury at 2nd just seems wrong. Leury isn't a very good infielder at this point in his career and his bat doesn't exactly play to make up for it.

I'm hoping for Mendick at 2B and Leury in RF for a handful of games if Madrigal isn't on the roster.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Don't they get an extra year control if they keep Madrigal out for something like 5 days? That's a no brainer. I hope Nick enjoys Schaumburg. I like him more than most, but he really has no argument about being sent down for a bit. He certainly doesn't have the Kris Bryant argument where he dominated AAA for almost a full season then destroyed everyone in Spring Training, and then lost a greivance.  Madrigal's pre season stats were nothing. He doesn't have much time above A ball. Get the extra year.

I don't believe the WS concern themselves as much as this board does with this extra year of control.  Anderson, Moncada and Sale were all extended when they showed they belonged.  Madrigal will be valuable now and can be extended when he proves his value.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't believe the WS concern themselves as much as this board does with this extra year of control.  Anderson, Moncada and Sale were all extended when they showed they belonged.  Madrigal will be valuable now and can be extended when he proves his value.

It's 5 days.

23 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm hoping for Mendick at 2B and Leury in RF for a handful of games if Madrigal isn't on the roster.

Yes. As much as Engel is a good fielder, there is something about Adam Engel being in the line up that says the rebuild is not over.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. As much as Engel is a good fielder, there is something about Adam Engel being in the line up that says the rebuild is not over.

Ha. I'm good with him coming into the game around the 5th 6th inning for defense if we are leading big early but that's about it.

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's 5 days.

In a 60 day season that can cost us the playoffs.  Madrigal is not the type of player that is going to get 20 million per year even if he is lights out.  They have reached extensions with many players (Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Sale & Eloy) who were deemed much harder to extend.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In a 60 day season that can cost us the playoffs.  Madrigal is not the type of player that is going to get 20 million per year even if he is lights out.  They have reached extensions with many players (Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Sale & Eloy) who were deemed much harder to extend.

You really think Leury Garcia instead of Nick Madrigal for 5 games costs the White Sox the playoffs? 

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We had like the worst production out of RF last year and with Mazara out we now have noodle-armed, no bat Engel as our primary option.  I just can’t believe they couldn’t find a single minor league free agent with some upside as a fallback plan.

• Like 1