Sox Summer Camp Catch All Thread

Vote4Pedro

Man, if we could get something out of Dunning this year at the major league level that would be fantastic.  He’s one of my favorite prospects in the entire system and I think he was going to be a long-term rotation staple before his injuries.  I really hope he can flash something this year as he’s going to be 26 in December and the clock is ticking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skooch said:

I'm glad to see they're giving him reps and moving him around to see what he can and can't do. For the life of me, I'll never understand why they didn't do this at the end of last season.

Crowded 40 man roster situation and didn’t want to do commit to Mercedes until they knew how everything might shake out.  No doubt it was frustrating, especially in hindsight, but I can see why they decided to wait.

12 minutes ago, skooch said:

I'm glad to see they're giving him reps and moving him around to see what he can and can't do. For the life of me, I'll never understand why they didn't do this at the end of last season.

Hopefully yermin doesn't collide with someone in the OF, that would be like getting hit by a tank:)

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Crowded 40 man roster situation and didn’t want to do commit to Mercedes until they knew how everything might shake out.  No doubt it was frustrating, especially in hindsight, but I can see why they decided to.

Holding a spot for Ross Detwiler or Ryan Cordell or Matt Skole in meaningless September games over a guy who has hit at every level of the minors? Yermin may turn out to be a big nothing burger, but I don't see what was gained by waiting until now to find out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skooch said:

Holding a spot for Ross Detwiler or Ryan Cordell or Matt Skole in meaningless September games over a guy who has hit at every level of the minors? Yermin may turn out to be a big nothing burger, but I don't see what was gained by waiting until now to find out.

I agree. Everyone is so excited about Robert because of 5 spectacular tools but Yermin went to to toe with him hitting in AAA.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know they’re meaningless scrimmages but Tim Anderson hitting a bunch of home runs all of a sudden could be an interesting development

Just so everyone knows Timmy hit 2 HR's in today's intrasquad game and now has 3 since they started .

Collins followed up yesterdays HR with a double single and walk.

Yermin had a 2 RBI single and a diving catch in LF to rob Eloy who prompted flipped him off if that's what Fegan meant by a playfully hostile gesture in his Tweet.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skooch said:

They had to protect a bunch of guys and were planning a bunch more via free agency / trades.  It wasn’t a decision between Mercedes & Ross Detwiler in September, it was about whether adding Mercedes preemptively might cost them the ability to protect someone like Burdi in the offseason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree. Everyone is so excited about Robert because of 5 spectacular tools but Yermin went to to toe with him hitting in AAA.

Yermin was like 5 years older so no he didn't go toe to toe with him in AAA. 

Thats like saying a college senior went toe to toe in high school AP Chemistry with an 11 year old genius taking the same class and getting the same grade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Man, if we could get something out of Dunning this year at the major league level that would be fantastic.  He’s one of my favorite prospects in the entire system and I think he was going to be a long-term rotation staple before his injuries.  I really hope he can flash something this year as he’s going to be 26 in December and the clock is ticking.

I don’t know if this sounds weird but Dunning is one guy who I think this mess might be good for. Limits his innings but very likely to see big league competition quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yermin was like 5 years older so no he didn't go toe to toe with him in AAA. 

Thats like saying a college senior went toe to toe in high school AP Chemistry with an 11 year old genius taking the same class and getting the same grade. 

Tell me something I don't know. I know their age difference. I chose the wording toe to toe because that's a boxing term. Now if at the age of 22 you become a great fighter and the your biggest challenger  happens to be 27 could they not go toe to toe in the same ring  ?

They are both rookies in MLB i see no difference .They are now in the same ring after hitting basically the same last year in another comparable ring.  My opinion is Yermin could hit almost as well as Robert. He won't leg out any hits like Robert will and he won't get the same opportunities and his career won't be as long because he is not a complete baseball player and that has been the long route to the same ring where Robert now stands, Different paths same destination at the same time mainly because they had the same results in the same situation.

My analogy make more sense because we are talking about a physical gift not a mental one and comparing 2 adults, not an adult to a child.Yermin has always been able to hit even if you think it's because he was always older than the competition. I have seen nothing to suggest from his time at AAA or his time in both parts of ST that his gift of hitting a baseball is some kind of fluke.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 hours ago, skooch said:

Yermin has been treated completely unfairly by this front office so far