2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

"Most who really make the league, do not" what?  Need the money?

If that is what you meant, I strongly disagree.  Most guys who are "in the league" by the true sense of the word "most" definitely cannot afford to go a full year without making any money. Sure, there are definitely a percentage of guys who are extremely wealthy and can afford to sit out, but there is a larger percentage who are not.     

The White Sox have been one of the lowest patrolled teams the last several years. Who on their roster do you really think cannot go one year without being paid, especially when most have guaranteed money in the millions coming next year, and could easily get a loan if needed?  A handful of Rookies, minor league fringe guys. That could be a problem. But for the most part guys even making minimum should be OK. It’s not like they were making $50k. It’s over half a million minimum plus licensing fees.

They are only getting a third of what they would normally get anyway so the minimum  are looking at less than $200k this season anyways. That is if they make it through the entire schedule.

Edited by Dick Allen

Regardless of who on the Sox tested positive, the good news is that they are asymptomatic.  That means, hopefully, they will be able to return quicker.

There is some concern about the asymptomatic positive tests, though.  After reading reports from other teams, it seems as if there are more players who are asymptomatic than not.  This is why testing will be very important in addition to the other health protocols in place.

Makes me wonder how many people out in the general public are carrying the disease but are showing no symptoms.  Wearing a mask and social distancing seems like a no-brainer.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Aren’t players being tested every two days?  If so, hopefully they’ll be able to catch positive results fairly quickly after a false negative.

Right now no they aren’t because of the testing and shipping issues. This is why several teams closed everything on Monday, they didn’t have results from tests last week back yet.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox have been one of the lowest patrolled teams the last several years. Who on their roster do you really think cannot go one year without being paid, especially when most have guaranteed money in the millions coming next year, and could easily get a loan if needed?  A handful of Rookies, minor league fringe guys. That could be a problem. But for the most part guys even making minimum should be OK. It’s not like they were making $50k. It’s over half a million minimum plus licensing fees.

They are only getting a third of what they would normally get anyway so the minimum  are looking at less than $200k this season anyways. That is if they make it through the entire schedule.

I agree since a good number of players made at least a $1+million last season. But I also assume there are a few  players on every team who live w/o any fiscal responsibility. 

The Athletic had a good article about guys working out in Florida over the pandemic.

There are a good number of guys that want to play because it is what they want to do. 

A major league career is not that long and to just give up a season is not something you do lightly especially if you are in your prime.  I get Price and Zimmerman etc. but even Eloy giving up 60 games is not something he will do rather easily.  If you make $600K a year, $200K is a lot.  Especially if you are spending like you make $600K a year. 

The positive cases thus far have not come from opening the baseball season.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Has anyone seen a picture or read a quote about Madrigal? I have a feeling our two are Moncada and Madrigal 

I think it’s too early to single out Madrigal yet, given that most of the non-starters haven’t been seen just yet and are likely in the afternoon group that the media doesn’t have access to.  I still haven’t seen McCann who seems to be the next biggest name after Moncada and Collins was practice with the morning group for some reason...

Edited by Chicago White Sox

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think you're taking it a bit too literally.  Will they become homeless without a year of pay?  Obviously not.  But will some of the league minimum and lower paid guys have issues making rent/mortgage payments, car payments, etc., etc. without a year a of pay?   Absolutely.  These guys want to make money.  I would venture a guess without looking that the average major league shelf life is between 1.5-2.5 season.  These guys have a short window to make good money playing a game.  After baseball, most of these guys are not going to collect big time pay checks. The vast majority of them that haven't already banked tens of millions are going to want to play.  

That was my point.  Not that they couldn't walk into a bank and get a loan or that they literally couldn't buy groceries if games aren't played.  Its all relative - but I do think it is safe to assume that a good percentage of professional athletes are living a lifestyle at, above, or well above what their expected annual pay in 2020 was.  

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Aren’t players being tested every two days?  If so, hopefully they’ll be able to catch positive results fairly quickly after a false negative.

They're having all kinds of issues with getting results back though. The Cubs just cancelled camp today, and i'm not even sure the A's have started yet

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think you're taking it a bit too literally.  Will they become homeless without a year of pay?  Obviously not.  But will some of the league minimum and lower paid guys have issues making rent/mortgage payments, car payments, etc., etc. without a year a of pay?   Absolutely.  These guys want to make money.  I would venture a guess without looking that the average major league shelf life is between 1.5-2.5 season.  These guys have a short window to make good money playing a game.  After baseball, most of these guys are not going to collect big time pay checks. The vast majority of them that haven't already banked tens of millions are going to want to play.  

That was my point.  Not that they couldn't walk into a bank and get a loan or that they literally couldn't buy groceries if games aren't played.  Its all relative - but I do think it is safe to assume that a good percentage of professional athletes are living a lifestyle at, above, or well above what their expected annual pay in 2020 was.  

But the guys that have a 1 or 2 or 3 year career don't make the league. The players who do are for the most part, unless they are being complete idiots, OK financially especially since they are only sacrificing 1/3 of a season. That's the point I'm making. Yes, you could probably field a league with Daniel Palka as the star, but it probably won't work. They have to get this testing in order or guys are going to start to walk and it will snowball.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, mqr said:

They're having all kinds of issues with getting results back though. The Cubs just cancelled camp today, and i'm not even sure the A's have started yet

This process also just started though and over a holiday weekend to boot.  I think the testing operations will be much smoother going forward and if not then the season should be cancelled.  Playing through this shit only works if testing is on point.

To think that the Sox(or any team) could get away with this without losing a significant player to the Rona is pretty naive. 

If it's going to hit a significant player, better at training camp than during the season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This process also just started though and over a holiday weekend to boot.  I think the testing operations will be much smoother going forward and if not then the season should be cancelled.  Playing through this shit only works if testing is on point.

We can only hope. They did have 3 1/2 months to figure it out. 

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Worth considering how big of a challenge this is going to be. Counting players, staff, coaches, they’re probably going to test more than a thousand people per day. That means on any given day, Major League Baseball alone is demanding 0.2% of the entire US testing capacity, at a time when testing centers in Texas and Arizona run out of appointment times 5 minutes after they open. Plus, they need concierge service level 24 hour turnaround times on everything, at a time when regular people go a week plus before they hear their results. Even if everything works well, that’s not easy.

7 hours ago, Orlando said:

Has anyone seen a picture or read a quote about Madrigal? I have a feeling our two are Moncada and Madrigal 

Madrigal wasn't apart of the original "summer camp" roster the Sox released that had additional spots open (that Madrigal will assume).

Smart money is Yoan & Ruiz (unless he's been picture/referenced at the stadium the last 24 hours) for the corona positives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Madrigal wasn't apart of the original "summer camp" roster the Sox released that had additional spots open (that Madrigal will assume).

Smart money is Yoan & Ruiz (unless he's been picture/referenced at the stadium the last 24 hours) for the corona positives.

Madrigal was definitely on the original 44 man "summer camp" roster.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/2020-white-sox-roster-pool-44-players-will-report-summer-camp

• Like 1

Afternoon camp was open to the press today, so here is a list of guys we know are excused from camp or are not yet accounted for:

• Infielders (2)Cuthbert & Moncada
  • Outfielders (1): Engel
  • Starters (1): Kopech
  • Relievers (9): Anderson, Detwiler, Fry, Fulmer, Guerrero, Heuer, Johnson, Marshall, & Ruiz

The only name that really stands out to me other Moncada is Engel.  Otherwise, the second player has to be a reliever as all the other position players and starters have shown up in camp.