2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Engel playing in the simulated game today.  The list is down to seven guys now.

• Infielders (1): Moncada
  • Relievers (6): Anderson, Detwiler, Fulmer, Johnson, Marshall, & Ruiz

Rabbit specifically mentioned Ruiz, so its probably him and Moncada.  

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we really are talking about mental health, it is a scary realm.  Whatever it is Kopech is looking for or needs, I hope he finds it.  While we all know him because he can throw a ball 105 mph, he's just as human as the rest of us and isn't some sort of super-human because of his ability to throw a ball.  Hopefully the kid gets whatever he needs for his own well-being.

Take this as just a baseball specific post -- however Kopech is a guy I'd like to trade if he comes out of the gate hot. A guy who really relies on his "stuff" likely isn't going to age well. i mean the Sale trade sucked, but we got out about the right time. Also i'm not going to act like i know anything about his life because i don't pay attention, but from punching the teammate (that was him right?) to seemingly liking the fame aspect/reality tv in the past, to the mention of mental health issues? I just don't think he's a guy i personally would want to give a $150mm contract to. Again, this is strictly a baseball angle. I wish him well in finding whatever peace he needs to live a normal, healthy life. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Take this as just a baseball specific post -- however Kopech is a guy I'd like to trade if he comes out of the gate hot. A guy who really relies on his "stuff" likely isn't going to age well. i mean the Sale trade sucked, but we got out about the right time. Also i'm not going to act like i know anything about his life because i don't pay attention, but from punching the teammate (that was him right?) to seemingly liking the fame aspect/reality tv in the past, to the mention of mental health issues? I just don't think he's a guy i personally would want to give a $150mm contract to. Again, this is strictly a baseball angle. I wish him well in finding whatever peace he needs to live a normal, healthy life. 

No rush on handing out 150 mil, but I understand the off field concern. Just have to see what happens while he's under team control. Going to be an interesting next few years in baseball (and everything else).

16 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

The best part of controlling a player for 6 years is that your organization gets to know them better than any other organization will get to do.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The best part of controlling a player for 6 years is that your organization gets to know them better than any other organization will get to do.

Problem is, the Sox will only control him 4 seasons by the time he's ready to pitch in the bigs again (assuming the worst for this season for a second).  Unless, of course, the Sox do what they should do and option him if he doesn't come back in the next couple weeks.  But the Sox being the loyal group that they are, I'd be a bit surprised to see him optioned if its mental health isssues.  2/3 of his cheap control gone with a grand total of 14 MLB innings pitched.  Not great.  

• Love 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Good lord that bullshit tweet sure did get a lot of miles.  People now speculating on "mental health issues".

Is it really speculation when the guy has flat out said he has mental health issues?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Problem is, the Sox will only control him 4 seasons by the time he's ready to pitch in the bigs again (assuming the worst for this season for a second).  Unless, of course, the Sox do what they should do and option him if he doesn't come back in the next couple weeks.  But the Sox being the loyal group that they are, I'd be a bit surprised to see him optioned if its mental health isssues.  2/3 of his cheap control gone with a grand total of 14 MLB innings pitched.  Not great.  

I could be wrong but I don’t think Kopech will get service time this year if he’s away from the team.

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What do you do with him if he doesn’t report?  Is he really DL eligible for a personal issue?

I am hoping that Rodon surprises us with some degree of durability following his last surgery.

If Kopech  comes back, I would like to see him in the bullpen rather than as a Starter.  Maybe as  an eventual Closer if he still has the  100mph gas.

Your 5 starting pitchers need to be consistent in all matters, even more so than a reliever, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

everybody has mental health issues.  Kopech is just more honest because he's a zoomer.

It is easy to crap on people for this kind of stuff, and it is a pretty Boomer attitude to do something.  No matter what you think of it, it is real to the person who is experiencing it, and really that is all that matters.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sounds like Giolito outing Moncada, or Daryl trying to connect dots on that tweet.

This is a case where the text hidden by the ellipsis could drastically change the implication of the quote.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

They'll get a year back from him this year if he doesn't play though.