2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

Does anyone know what happens if a player chooses to opt of the remainder of the season after it's begun? How that would affect service time?

I ask because I know if a player opts out now, he does not gain a year of service time. Mookie Betts can't opt out now and then still become a Free Agent in November.

BUT, what if COVID-19 becomes a bigger issue in August and someone like Betts decides it's not worth the risk anymore after seeing a few teammates get infected. I wonder how many games he has to actually play or be active for to be able to still become a FA in November. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

not saying it means anything but a lot of chatter about Vaughn’s reps at 3rd today. I wonder if he’s a fallback option if Yoan does recover quickly

I think the fall back option would be Garcia. There is no way they are playing Vaughn in the MLB this year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think the fall back option would be Garcia. There is no way they are playing Vaughn in the MLB this year.

I actually disagree. If Vaughn is one of the 44 guys in camp, you have to imagine that he's in the 2-deep. God forbid that the team gets hit by a significant Covid outbreak, you could see him being called up to play 1b, dh, 3b, hell, even 2b, which was his position in HS. I believe this year is so unpredictable that a lot of unlikely scenarios are on the table now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Does anyone know what happens if a player chooses to opt of the remainder of the season after it's begun? How that would affect service time?

I ask because I know if a player opts out now, he does not gain a year of service time. Mookie Betts can't opt out now and then still become a Free Agent in November.

BUT, what if COVID-19 becomes a bigger issue in August and someone like Betts decides it's not worth the risk anymore after seeing a few teammates get infected. I wonder how many games he has to actually play or be active for to be able to still become a FA in November. 

I believe it's the same as being called up - you have to be on an active roster (or disabled list) for 92% of the games during the season. So if you opt out half way through, you remain arb-eligible next season.

Just now, Timmy U said:

I actually disagree. If Vaughn is one of the 44 guys in camp, you have to imagine that he's in the 2-deep. God forbid that the team gets hit by a significant Covid outbreak, you could see him being called up to play 1b, dh, 3b, hell, even 2b, which was his position in HS. I believe this year is so unpredictable that a lot of unlikely scenarios are on the table now.

If they were in this situation, I think they would sign one of the veterans from the Nashville pool. I can't imagine the Sox burning a year of service time for a handful of games. They should be getting good now and he will extend that window.

Just now, ptatc said:

If they were in this situation, I think they would sign one of the veterans from the Nashville pool. I can't imagine the Sox burning a year of service time for a handful of games. They should be getting good now and he will extend that window.

A handful of games does not burn a year of service time. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A handful of games does not burn a year of service time. 

With the multiplier for the year each game would be about 2.7 games of service, if I read how they are calculating it correctly. So 30 games would be nothing in a regular year but will count as 1/2 season for service time.

I don't think it would be worth it for a player who hasn't played above A+.

5 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Leury, Mendick, Romine, and even Madrigal would be in line to cover 3rd before Vaughn.  No reason to burn service time.

1/2 a year of service time for a player you believe is a full-time starter after that = 0 service time. They would still get 7 years. The question is: Will Vaughn hit enough to be worth it this year?  I will say this: If he can't outhit Leury, Mendick, and especially Romine, he's an odd pick at 3. Personally, I'm thrilled that they're trying him at 3rd. Imagine if he has positional versatility. That's a much better profile than a 5'10" R/R first base only guy. That makes him more valuable for the Sox in the future or in a trade. zVery exciting even if he's taxi squad all year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

1/2 a year of service time for a player you believe is a full-time starter after that = 0 service time. They would still get 7 years. The question is: Will Vaughn hit enough to be worth it this year?  I will say this: If he can't outhit Leury, Mendick, and especially Romine, he's an odd pick at 3. Personally, I'm thrilled that they're trying him at 3rd. Imagine if he has positional versatility. That's a much better profile than a 5'10" R/R first base only guy. That makes him more valuable for the Sox in the future or in a trade. zVery exciting even if he's taxi squad all year.

By all means give the kid reps at 3rd in camp and with the taxi squad.  But it doesn't look like Vaughn has played a single game at 3rd in his college or pro career so far.  If worst case Moncada doesn't play (hypothetically), then perhaps you take a chance that his bat covers for his lack of reps on D.  Just doesn't seem likely to me.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox 3rd baseman is in his early 20s. The first baseman is in his mid 30s. If Vaughn can play 3rd, great, but he is going to be at 1st.

While not terribly optimistic, I'd love to see if he could perhaps handle RF.

• Like 2

1. It is absolutely normal to work guys at other positions during spring training. It's good for their instincts to see the ball coming from other angles, and it provides you an emergency backup option when guys get hurt or thrown out of a game. In 2005 we once saw Jermaine Dye playing shortstop.

2. The situation this season means that there's probably all sorts of weird scenarios I could come up with where a bit of extra positional flexibility could be even more useful.

3. Vaughn will not be called up to play 3b, or almost certainly also won't be called up to play RF. If he were called up, it would be because we had a major issue at 1b with both Abreu and Encarnacion out and missing significant time all at once which remains possible given the situation this season. 

4. They might try other options before calling Vaughn up, such as Yermin etc., but if he were performing well in practice, and we lost our regular 1bs (again, entirely plausible this year), and this team was even close to in contention, calling up Vaughn to play some 1b would be a reasonable move even if it burned some extra service time. 

5. In that case, it would be useful if Vaughn also had the ability to be an emergency backup 3b. He would not be called up to play that position, but if something happened to the person playing 3b, and we didn't have anyone else on the bench, you could move someone to 1b easily and move Vaughn to 3b and cover that position in an emergency.

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

With the multiplier for the year each game would be about 2.7 games of service, if I read how they are calculating it correctly. So 30 games would be nothing in a regular year but will count as 1/2 season for service time.

I don't think it would be worth it for a player who hasn't played above A+.

Didn't Kopech play about a month in 2018?

So we could get that year back if he isn't on the 30 man roster for like the first 10 games?